main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) In Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by G-FETT, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I'd love it too. Seems like it would be a great way to inject some levity into a serious scene while also giving us some interesting information about Rey.

Luke: What did he tell you when you went to him?

Rey: Nothing I didn't already know.

Luke: That's not what I asked. What did he actually say?

Rey: That my parents were filthy junkers that sold me off for drinking money and they were dead in a paupers grave.

Luke: And you believed him? *makes comically confused face*

I'd love it if Luke said something like, "Rey if you knew that your parents were terrible people who sold you off for drinking money then why would spend your entire life waiting for them to come back?"

2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Just like that. Plus, what Kylo Ren told her just seems....too intentionally utterly sad and depressing for it to really be completely true. There's a little too much embellishment there IMO; "dead in a pauper's grave?!" I mean, it just feels over the top, like someone trying too hard to convince someone (or even themselves) of something. How about they were deathstick dealers, and con artists, with a death sentence on 12 systems, too??

LukeLives likes this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Kylo did indeed seem to be “negging,” for lack of a better term.

4. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Or “Rey, if you knew your parents were filthy junk traders who sold you for drinking money, why did TLJ show you asking the cave mirror to show you your parents, as if you didn’t actually know who they were?”

:p

5. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Ha! Big time.

Luke: "Rey so...if deep down you knew who your parents were what did you expect the mirror to show you? Did you think the mirror was going to lie to you? Did you hope that the mirror would reinforce your denial? What would be the point of that and why would you need that?"

JoJoPenelli likes this.
  6. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    “If what spurred you to go to the cave was Kylo’s claim that your parents threw you away like garbage, why did you ask to see your parents and not, say, to see what really happened to you?”

7. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    "Amazing...Everything Kylo Ren said to you, was wrong."

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  8. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015

9. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    You just know we’ll hear another “Amazing...” quip from him in 9 :p

LukeLives and DARTH_BELO like this.
  10. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Rey: We found something. We call them sim-BYE-oats.

Luke: Amazing. Everything about that pronunciation sounds wrong.

JoshieHewls and DARTH_BELO like this.
  11. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    “Impressive...”

Luke is sarcastic, like his father before him.

Senator Wan and TadoFett like this.
  12. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    The thing is Kylo doesn't say anything about her parents until Rey says, whimpering, that they were nobody. She could just be projecting her own emotion of feeling like a nobody onto her concept of her own parents...And for Kylo, it feels very manipulative, or like a magician's trick.

It feels like if Rey had said "They were freedom fighters who died for what they believed in..." then Kylo would have said "They loved their cause more than they loved you. You were nothing to them. Nothing. But not to me."

He elicits a tidbit of info from her in order to better build his argument and pitch to her for her to join him. That seems to be the tone of his dialog anyway.

Otherwise, why does he ask her to tell him about her parents, if he claims to know himself?

Maybe it's just a plothole, but why, if her parents were drunkards on Jakku who sold her for drinking money, was Rey screaming "Come back!" as a space ship took off? If that was a true flashback/vision, why wouldn't Kylo say "They sold you for a ticket out of that junkyard." ??

If it was a false flashback/vision, then the Force has some explaining to do because the same vision showed Rey's future, Luke's past, and had messages from two Jedi Masters inside it...

I can see Force Ghost Luke correcting Kylo rather easily in 9, but I'm not sure that will happen.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    TadoFett likes this.
  13. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    John said that he is growing out his hair, possible a time jump is happening (maybe 1 year? ANH to ESB was 3 years)

14. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Well, PH suggested that why Kylo actually saw was Rey’s greatest fear - paralleling her finding out in TFA his fear of never being as strong as Vader.

Rey says “They were nobody,” which is intersting, as it has somewhat different connotations than “They were nobodies,”

RJ said that Kylo wasn’t lying, but that what he saw might only be true “facpov.” He also indicated that Kylo was trying to undermine Rey’s confidence so she’s have to lean on him for identity.

Rather nasty, although I don’t think Kylo was *trying* to be cruel, really. It was more like a means to an end - “A cur’s weakness, properly manipulated, can be a sharp tool,” I believe Snoke had told him...

TadoFett likes this.
  15. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I think you have to take the dialogue on merit, both characters are very open towards each other and Kylo seems like he's baring his soul to "entice" Rey to join him. However dissecting it does lead to conclusions that could be seen anyway you actually want it to, but i found two key aspects that felt revealing to me when Kylo asks Rey who her parents are...

Just because they're nobody to Kylo or Rey doesn't mean they are nobody to the audience, I could list names of PT and CT characters that would be nobody to Kylo but not to the audience. I do think that's as plain as you can get Rey isn't a descendant of Anakin Skywalker but it's far from defining her heritage of being a descendant of a known character.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Less "Rey Bibble" or "Rey Gunrey" and more Luke Skywalker discussion.

17. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Apologies, reading through the last page of this thread I forgot it was Luke Skywalker and thought it was Rey's Parentage.

18. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Heh...I tend to get the threads mixed up. But that’s the trouble - with certain topics, you kinda have to choose a starting point (Rey Random or Rey Relatee, basically). I think Luke in 9 is one of those topics.

(Not trying to justify getting off-topic, but disagreement really can be rooted in that.)

19. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    After having seen TLJ several times now, I have come to the conclussion the OT trio time is clearly behind us and the best thing for the franchise moving forward is focus on the new characters. Therefore, for Luke in Episode IX, I believe a glorified cameo will be more than enough for what the story demands.

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  20. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I think you can still have Luke play a key role in 9 - if that's the way they want to go.

I think they should, but let's see what they do.

I'm going to make a fairly safe prediction though - we'll know fairly soon which way it's going from what Mark says.

I'm hoping that if Luke returns, he's announced - I can't bear the thought of all the angst and theories as to whether or not he's coming back. And if he's not coming back, own it and get that out there early. There's too much simmering around Luke/ Mark already for it to be worth playing coy on that front. If he's in the story, it won't be a WOW I NEVER SAW THAT COMING surprise, and if he's not in the film, get ahead of that so any fan that wants to can go into mourning early.

1 - If Mark likes the role he has, he'll be loud and clear on that front.

2 - If he has a role but doesn't like it, whatever your take on it will depend on how you feel about Luke/ Mark's comments re TLJ. For me, Mark's comments have zero bearing on quality. But we know now that if Mark is whingeing about his role in 9 that it's likely people who hated Luke in 8 will also hate what they've done with Luke - if anything - in 9.

3 - If he's not in it at all, I suspect they will either make that clear early, or we'll hear nothing but Mark's comments on the ST will sour more and more until he's straight up slagging it off. At which point, if it ever comes to that, which I don't think it will TBH - I think we're more likely to be in points 1 & 2 territory - then I would start to come around to the theory that Mark talked Luke out of the trilogy and that they wrote him out rather than deal with his carping.

Will be interesting to see which way it goes. Sometimes he's positive. Other times he's negative.

Son of Sith likes this.
  21. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    @Satipo you mean you could see Mark words about SW and Luke (that he sees Luke's arch closed with TLJ and so on) could have made JJ to reconsider having him on board for IX?

22. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    No, I mean - and obviously this is dependent on whether Luke is in 9 - I could see that they decided to write him out because of the way Mark's been during TLJ.

But obviously if Luke is back then that's just a bull**** theory. And equally, if he's not back, it wouldn't have to mean that there was any acrimony.

I'm just saying that there seems to have been a shift in Mark's comments lately. He went from wanting to be in 9 and talking about how CT had some great ideas to "you need to ask JJ" and "Luke had the perfect end and now is arc is over". It's hard to tell with Mark because you should never take him too seriously and he likes to play coy. I'm just talking hypothetically. I cannot see a story reason why you wouldn't have Luke Skywalker back in episode 9, and we know RJ talked about opening up possibilities and hoping to see Luke back. So if he's not back - and again, that's a purely speculative if - then I wonder if they did get fed up with his attitude on the PR trail for TLJ and figured, you know what - let's just be done with him.

I have no idea at all if that's an issue or not. Probably, hopefully, not. I'm just spitballing.

In other words, maybe the shift in Marks comments (which I may be misreading/ reading too much into anyway) are a result of learning he's not in 9 now, not the other way around.

I think if LFL want Luke in 9, he'll be in the story.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  23. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    That is an interesting theory, tbh.

I think if he is in IX, we will know about it as soon as the official cast gets announced in the SW site.

24. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Yes - I think it will be very apparent, very soon.

I hasten to clarify - I have no grounds at all for that theory. I think he'll have a significant (not necessarily huge) role in 9. Whether he'll be pleased with that or nor I don't know - but I do know that we'll know how he feels about it very quickly :)

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  25. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Or will we? I'm anticipating a long denial that he'll return and then SURPRISE! he returns. It's a meta comment on how the powers that be have denied that Luke is Rey's dad but then in Ep. 9 he'll return to reveal he is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.