main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) In Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by G-FETT, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I hope we see him again but not that actor boy. I hope there is a 10 yrs time gap and some other more mature character plays the boy at age 18-20.
    No more Jake Lloyds or Macauley Culkins please. Protect the kids!

Django Fett and nightangel like this.
  2. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    See you around kid

You know that could also refer to a very young Luke appearing in Kenobi: My Life As Ben. LFL will say it doesn't until "someone" comes up with it and it'll be a reference for the audience to get the OT fans back on side.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  3. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a force ghost Luke in IX.

4. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I don't think so.

5. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    The only way that doesn't happen is if Mark Hamill says he isn't returning; he will because fans will want him back, as he mentioned in the lead up to this trilogy "if Harrison came back, I had to as well"

6. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    I remember they had problems with force ghosts of real persons because of Chinese market. Yoda is an alien, so I'm not sure Luke ghost is really possible at all. [face_dunno]

Tiberius.Ogden likes this.
  7. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    I thinking Luke will appear to Kylo throughout IX the same way Joker did to Batman in Arkham Knight. I'm sure Mark would love trolling Kylo like that!

DaddlerTheDalek and ewoksimon like this.
  8. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012

That came after Carrie and Mark already said they had agreed when GL invited them to lunch to inform them further films would be made after his deal with Disney. Mark's reaction to TLJ is interesting, it's not that he wanted to be the star, he just wanted a similar finale that Harrison got in TFA. Han might've been killed but it both served the story and at no time did they go against the ethos of who Han Solo was.

I agree that Mark will likely return but out of both professionalism as well as being loyal to the fans. Though should they go down the route of GLs early draft of ROTJ, substituting Luke for Obi-Wan i'm sure Mark would be biting at the bit. That said will Abrams want Luke in IX, what can he really offer a hero who seems invincible?

9. Paro

Paro Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2017
    We will probably see Luke as a force ghost.
    I was actually surprise too see Yoda summoning thunders as a force ghost. Yoda is savage.

10. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    If I remember that was blown a bit out of proportion but I can't remember the details. That said, what if he doesn't appear to be a ghost? What if he appears as real as the Force projection? What if he is as "real" as the Falcon dice? (which both Lea & Kylo interacted with - Kylo after Luke had already become one with the Force).

As much as TLJ gave me everything I wanted from Luke's death (fade away and the twin suns) an episode earlier than I wanted it, it does open up new story possibilities for Luke. Maybe we can finally see a Jedi "more powerful than you can possibly imagine". Maybe he can come back in a more physical way (but maybe not a full on Gandalf the White return, though I guess nothing's off the table). Would I prefer him alive, yes. But I'd bet good money that we will see him again in IX. Advising Rey, trolling Kylo, and maybe, just maybe, training some of those inspired by his legend (I really hope this is the next animated series!)

11. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    yep, that's why I'm 99% sure TLJ was the last we saw of Luke. They may tease a Luke return for IX, but it will be misdirection. I don't trust them anymore.

Django Fett likes this.
  12. Paro

Paro Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2017

13. Paro

Paro Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2017
    They are definetly focusing on the new characters, but i can see Luke participating in the movie, at the very least on the last moments of the movie, just like in episode VI with the ghost forces. And since they are heavily mimicking OT formula, i do believe we will see Luke in episode IX for a farewell.

14. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    I want to add this; since this seems to be the thread where the most angst and worry is; Force Ghost Luke Skywalker will return and in that theme the Jedi Master had the best quote of The Last Jedi if not the greatest in the entire franchise for what exactly means and the hope it brings; it goes as follows...

"Amazing. Every word that you just said is wrong. The Rebellion is reborn today. The war is just beginning. And I will not be the last Jedi. - Luke Skywalker"

KSennia, burg2774 and DaddlerTheDalek like this.
  15. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    He'll be in it for sure, even if it's just as a Force ghost with no dialogue in the final scene.

16. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    He will definitely be in it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they go with the original concept and make him solid form again, like Obi-Wan and Yoda were supposed to be in ROTJ. I just don't see him having as large of a part as in TLJ. Then again, a few scenes of him consulting with Rey, and in the end, helping train the new Jedi or force users, and that would be the perfect way to wrap up his journey. He's pretty much invincible now.

17. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    nope thanks

18. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    MOD EDIT: Removed inappropriate comment

19. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Yeah, I 100% see him returning. If they weren't already planning to have him return (and I'm sure they were), they're certainly planning it now after the audience reactions to his death in TLJ. And I suspect he'll also seem more at peace and a lot less miserable. Disney/Lucasfilm do listen to fan reactions, and they do try to course-correct. TLJ tried something different because the loudest complaint about TFA was that it was too similar. Now the loudest complaint about TLJ is how it dealt with Luke. They're going to try to remedy that. I don't think he'll be a central character, but I do believe we'll get an appearance from him that at least in some small way attempts to show the audience that Luke has found peace.

Revanfan1 and Darth_Voider like this.
  20. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    If Leia can fly through space - Luke can return to have a honorable death

21. Darth Ward

Darth Ward Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2016
    I think its clear who is in charge of where these movies go from now on. Its disney. The director is there to direct. The writers sre there to write Disney’s wishes for the films. I figured this out when i heard Disney had ordered re-shoots.
    Theyre all in it for them selves and for the money. They dont give to ***** about the franchise.
    They’d replace all the characters with pigs if it made enough money

Tiberius.Ogden likes this.
  22. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    So much hate for this film, god....

I am excited to see Luke appearing to Kylo, to offer his help and advice no matter what happens. The "See you around, kid." was not put there without purpose.

23. Tiberius.Ogden

Tiberius.Ogden Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 6, 2016
    It's also about products, toys etc.
    Young Rey, young Finn, Porgs, cute BB8 etc. can sell more products for children than old Luke Skywalker, old R2D2 etc. ... characters that are popular around SW fandom, but not so much for masses and mainly children.

Pablo said that reason why Clone Wars were cancelled is that target group became adult. So Disney came up with another serial for young audiences.

OriForce likes this.
  24. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    I’m not getting my hopes up about Luke in Nine after TLJ. I feel kinda done and my feelings may very well similar down b it’s too bad there looking st kids because alot of those fans of old are buying those products FOR rheir kids. They’ve really done a number on “older fans” Some way I think it’ll still hit Disney And LFL some way or another.

In terms of Luke, I really don’t want to build any expectations. Suspecting JJ to be the type to throw in another cameo or even a voice over. Not interested.

25. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    His death was honorable - he literally sacrificed himself to keep the Rebellion alive.

To Kylo Ren: "Amazing. Every word that you just said is wrong. The Rebellion is reborn today. The war is just beginning. And I will not be the last Jedi."

If you or others don't see this I'm sorry but without Luke projecting himself across the galaxy (which of course is a force ability we had never seen before) his sister and the last remaining survivors including Chewbacca, Rose, Finn, Rey and Poe would have likely all been captured or killed. Only Luke Skywalker stopped the advance of Supreme Leader Ren (I like the sound of that!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.