main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) In Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by G-FETT, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    I was thinking that they might shave Luke to evoke feelings of OT Luke.

TadoFett likes this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I hope not. Mark looks much better with whiskers.

jaqen likes this.
  3. FN1971

FN1971 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 13, 2018
    Mark shawed his beard?
    Considerring he elswhere almost confirmed he returns for ep .IX could mean he will act himself with de-aging technology?
    I dont understand this technology , but by basic rules of CGI maybe they need "clean" face of an actor to be scanned ,for it to be modiffied by de-aging tech. Beard could be obstacle.
    Just speculating of course.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Darth Nikean and TadoFett like this.
  4. Tyrian

Tyrian Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2000
    I *hope* its due to Mark needing to be clean shaven so they can use de-aging technology for IX! It looks so incredibly good / surreal lately (Sean Young! Kurt Russell! Michael Douglas!). The thought of seeing a young Luke Skywalker on screen, for whatever reasons JJ comes up with.... is exciting!

We can argue whether its via flashbacks, or whether Luke simply comes back (after his ascension in TLJ) until his task is done (like Gandalf)....

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    BalanceOfTheForce likes this.
  5. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Hmm, no beard. Does that mean that bearded Luke represents the time in Luke's life when he was off his game and the beardless Luke represents a return to the Luke we know and love from the OT? Or put another way bearded Luke represents the time when Luke was going through the motions of acting like a PT Jedi, (looking like Kenobi), and beardless Luke represents OT Luke, (Luke looking like Luke).

Also yeah as others have said it's easy to imagine that a beardless Luke means we might get a flashback to a time when Luke was considerably younger.

@JoJoPenelli What do you think of this? I like your previously mentioned theory that the scenes with Luke, Rey, Kylo, and the KoR on Ahch-To that were rumored to have been shot during the filming of TLJ would be used in Ep. 9 but in those scenes Luke has a beard. How would a beardless Luke fit into all that? Obviously any beardless Luke scenes would happen after the Kylo on Ahch-To scenes since I think the rumors said that Luke was in those scenes too. Wouldn't it be weird if Ghost Luke has a beard and then later Ghost Luke doesn't have a beard?

Luke02 likes this.
  6. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    They place scanning dots, or whatever the hell they’re called, on the actors face which needs to be clean shaven.

7. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    If that pic is indeed contemporary, then he may have shaved 1. Because he got his shooting schedule and he has time to regrow the beard by then or 2. For mo-cap. Or some other reason I can’t think of.

*If* the pic is contemporary.

I do think we’ll see a de-aged Luke in flashback. It’s interesting how old Luke looked even as his ~47-year-old self in the Forceback. Mark is 20 years older yet looks more youthful than that (hair dye aside).

8. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I wish this meant Mark is going to play Luke a ton in Episode IX but regrettably I don't think it will.

Darth Nikean likes this.
  9. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Well one could assume his force ghost will be clean shaven [face_dunno]

Darth Nikean likes this.
  10. Darth Nikean

Darth Nikean Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 30, 2016
    Maybe ,hopefully

11. Avilos

Avilos Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 9, 2002
    It’s worth reminding everyone that Mark shaved off his beard between filming of TFA and TLJ. Proof of that is he filmed an episode of The Flash as the Trickster shortly after publicity for TFA winded down. It grew back! it can grow back again!

bottom line -we have no idea what this means for Episode 9.

Demsa Aztor, jaqen, Revanfan1 and 3 others like this.
  12. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Yes. I agree. I think this may mean that Luke isn’t going to be in episode ix, and that TLJ marks his last appearance. I was hoping that they would find a way to repair some of the damage to Luke by having Luke actually survive TLJ , or be sent back by yoda and obiwan to fulfill his destiny of restoring the Jedi order, or, at least, training rey. Unfortunately, this news seems to suggest that Mark Hamill may be telling us that he is not coming back.

13. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Either way it’s a hairy situation.

14. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Amazing. Every hair of what you just shaved is gone.

"See you around, beard."

11-4D, rorow1, Demsa Aztor and 7 others like this.
  15. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Episode 9 can open with Luke's Force ghost tossing the hair clippers over his shoulder.

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Shaves it for pre-production VFX stuff and grows it back for about 2 or 3 months while production is rolling. Now if Hamill doesn't grow it back then we have clean shaven Force ghost which could be odd but, on the flip side, if Anakin can turn back into his younger self, Luke can give his Force ghost a shave.

17. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    Mark made an instagram post almost a week ago counting down to 9. He also had the hashtag #9willbefineallingoodtime. I hope that means he read the script and knows stuff about what they will do for Luke in this movie.

18. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    I read it that way too. Mark's tweets and posts are always hard to interpret, since he likes to have fun with his fans, and does some light-hearted trolling sometimes. I can see him playing coy about whether he will be in 9 or not, but don't see him giving fans false hope that he will be.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  19. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Exactly. If Mark knows he's not in it, I think he'd just be upfront about that. Being coy doesn't make sense unless he's in it. I mean, what would be the point? So he can eventually say, "SURPRISE!! I'm NOT in Episode 9! Aren't you glad I kept you guessing?!" I think even his most fervent fans would be turned off by that. As to how big his role will be, I certainly don't expect it to be as big as in TLJ, but I do expect more than we got in TFA.

20. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I think his tweet of a comic panel of Luke saying “See you around, kid” with the caption “#foreshadowing” was pretty darned clear ;)

BigAl6ft6, Revanfan1, yanote and 5 others like this.
  21. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I would love to see Luke's ghost show up to see Kylo Ren's final defeat. I just have this image of a beaten and broken Kylo Ren, surrounded by Republic Troopers and being arrested, looking up to see Luke's glowing ghost sadly shaking his head, before the would-be dark lord is lead away in chains.

22. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Ehhhh strongly disagree re Kylo’s arc. But Luke will be in 9 primarily to serve Rey’s story, I believe.

TadoFett likes this.
  23. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I don't want Kylo dead, but I also don't feel he should just walk away Scott free after choosing darkness...AGAIN...in TLJ. Being lead away in chains to serve his debt to society seems proper to me. It also validates Luke's actions at the end of TLJ, stalling for time and stating that Kylo's decision to attack him...to strike him down will only ensure his downfall.

"I'll see you around kid."

24. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Strong pass.

Luke has never been a vindictive character. He isn't about retribution. He drew Kylo out knowing they would have a phantom battle. He knew he would die as a result of projecting himself across the galaxy. He intentionally went there to distract his nephew. But most importantly, he went there to apologize to him as well. Luke Skywalker of all people, knows all about forgiveness. I hardly see him entertaining your fantasy and reveling in his nephew's comeuppance, humiliation or suffering.

25. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I think Disney is smart enough to realize they need Mark back. Force ghost, flashback, or both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.