main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) In Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by G-FETT, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moxlox

moxlox Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Surely that's Force ghost Luke, right?!

seattlemusicnerd likes this.
  2. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    My gut tells me its just Hamill being Hamill. Goofing around. However, part of me does think this could be a very clever way of him confirming Luke is in the film.

3. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I doubt that Hamill will be included as part of the formal announcement of the cast at the start of production, just as Frank Oz was kept off the cast when TLJ began filming.

TadoFett likes this.
  4. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I think JJ just rejected Mark's idea of having a nudist planet in Star Wars

DarthBane93 likes this.
  5. Darth Saddius

Darth Saddius Jedi Knight

Dec 24, 2015
    Very belated thanks, been away from looking at the forums. That is where I saw it. Now I can rest easy.

Mungo Baobab and TadoFett like this.
  6. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Yup, pretty fruitless looking to deeply into Mark's tweets. This seems no more than "relax, i'm in the film".

Darth Nikean and TadoFett like this.
  7. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    I wonder if it could mean a return to Ahch-To with someone finding his robe?

8. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Ahhh! That’s an excellent theory and would make perfect sense :)

9. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Got to say it would be funny if Mark did not return for IX. His story is already told and it has become a true entertainment seeing fan pet theories collapse.

Having said that, he has shaved his beard, which to me indicates that if he appears he will have the "clean" look of a FG. Like Obi-Wan in the OT.

TadoFett and Darth Nikean like this.
  10. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Or mo-cap/de-aging?

As RJ has said - Luke’s story tracks with Rey’s. His appearance in 9 will be to serve her story, not further develop his.

NOTJEDIMATERIAL and TadoFett like this.
  11. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    We shouldn't discount the possibility that Luke's beard will reappear on Rey's face.

12. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    I suspect it means at least the cloak is gainfully employed again ;) Time will tell if Mark grows a beard, but I never doubted that Ghost Luke would make an appearance in the film.

that said, there's a passage in an epilogue of TLJ novelziation that does not take place on film has the caretakers on Ahch-To collecting his cloak and other belongings to store in a safe place with belongings from previous visitors.

you put something away for someone else to find it!

13. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I liked to think that Mark's tweet means that they're going to be pretty upfront in the marketing about Luke coming back. At the very least I hope it means that they won't deny he's coming back. Don't Khan us again JJ! Just don't.

14. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    Now i don't care who you are but that was funny. Right there.

15. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    I'd like them to be quite upfront about it Maybe the problem is that if they say Luke Skywalker is in the movie, a lot of people is going to expect a big role or something substential and will get disappointed when they find out it's only a cameo or 2 or 3 short scenes...and they can't say something like yes he's in the movie but for not a lot...or mabe they can? I'm looking forwars to hearing the main cast announcement and see how they handle it, i suppose there's gonna be a statement in the days following the start of principal photography, so i guess in 1 or 2 weeks.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  16. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    No beard’s ever really gone.

17. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Eh I think people know that Force Ghosts have very little screen time and will adjust their expectations.

TadoFett likes this.
  18. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Well, there are fans expecting Luke to come back in the flesh, so those probably expect a larger role for Luke than the usual screen time for FG.

19. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Well yes, but also there were fans who expected much differently than what we got in TLJ (i.e. Rey being Luke's daughter), and that didn't happen. Fan expectations don't determine what the creators do.

20. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I believe Luke first grew a beard when he was relatively young; the illustration for “Big Inside” depicts him with blond hair and a short beard. I’m hazy on how mo-cap works, but I don’t think a de-aged Luke would necessarily be beardless. And since a de-aged Mark still wouldn’t match how he looked at the end of RotJ, giving him a beard would aid believability imo.

There are, I believe, 2 possible novel depictions of Luke we can see in 9: Luke in a flashback and Luke as a FG but looking different than he did as a projection in TLJ.

Interesting note re de-aging Mark to play a younger Luke: He was made up, for flashback/force projection, to look much older (not counting the hair) than his ~47 years, meaning that if they wanted to de-age him, say, 10 more years, it would require less cgi work than had Mark been made up to actually look ~47.

21. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  22. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Like Travis Fimmel went to Comic Con dressed as a kangaroo and interrupted the Vikings panel after his character had been killed off?

23. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    Totally di
    Totally different. His character was 100% dead and had no possibility of coming back as a ghost, where Luke's does. As I said all along, Mark Hamill would not be teasing a return on Twitter and Instagram, or by cosplaying as Luke, if he wasn't in the movie. He wouldn't give his fans false hope if he knew he wasn't in it.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    JoJoPenelli likes this.
  24. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I'm just gun shy about getting my hopes up about any of it.

25. Darth Nikean

Darth Nikean Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 30, 2016
    If you look at Marks last tweet he’s growing the beard back

Lomesa, TadoFett and Birkendoc like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.