main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Fly Guy, Nov 18, 2013.

?

How good will Mark Hamill's performance in episode 7 be?

1. He's going to be great

950 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. He'll do OK

145 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. He's going to stink it up

23 vote(s)
    2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    There is a middle ground between something being "gospel" and weighing it as being largely credible. On the one hand we have information which has been largely corroborated at every turn by official sources and those being fed official information (e.g. Breznican at EW) on a site that tries to be rigorous in its reporting. OTOH we have a site which just retracted the very information we're discussing. Is there even a debate here?

Edit: It seems to me that there's this strange idea that on matters where there is no absolute certainty, all possibilities are equally likely. That's just not the case.

2. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    he didn't retract anything just said a source told him that and that he's not 100% if it's true, which is true for any rumor.

3. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    That's trivially true and isn't worth even saying unless there's more reason to doubt than just "It hasn't been officially confirmed".

4. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    well he said it on a forum where the thread is about Luke's screentime to people not on the main site or the article nothing wrong with any of that, plus the person who wrote the article wasn't Viral.

either way to me it makes little difference if it's true or not, I see everything as rumor and them being nothing but possibilities if true about more Luke than great (whether in flashback only or both past/present Luke) if not and MSW is right than we had the right answer since Feb/March. Either way nothing is lost by considering it.;)

5. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Despite stuff that ended up being confirmed in the 2 teasers, and the BTS footage to a lesser extent, nothing with any meat to it about the actual plot has been confirmed. For example, we know of Finn/Poes escape scene. What we still don't know is what happens to Poe after the crash? He simply disappears. How Finn ultimately runs in to Rey etc. there's just enough there to be getting on with and beyond that? it' becomes speculation. We knew nothing of the Knights of Ren. There is still loads we just don't know about. It's all been deliberate and controlled under the guise of being leaked I think. JJ hasn't been ****ing around with this. He wants us to be surprised when we see it. Fair play to the man

T-R-, nightangel, DarthBreezy and 2 others like this.
  6. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015
    Ok so after reading the SW7N article and then Viral's clarification about the "luke jumps into the fight" and that it is just a rumour he's heard from a good source. Where does this leave the rumoured Skellig ending if they are right? Unless luke jumps in and leaves just as quickly then surely it's going to take some creative writing to still have rey go to skellig to meet him with the sabre?

7. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    One thing I'd like to see JJ mirror from the OT is the young heroes saving the day and not the old Jedi master. I would like to see a SW movie where Luke wasn't there to save the day yet our young heroes still figured out a way. Is that too much to ask?

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  8. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Well, he didn't save the day in TESB, and he didn't in RotJ either. He helped bring his father back to the light, but it was his father who took out the emperor and it was Lando who took out the Death Star. So, Luke really only saved the day in ANH, and it was with han's help, as someone said.

Edit: also, obiwan saved Luke in the jundland wastes and in the cantina. He also disabled the device so the falcon could get away. So, why can't Luke help too in this first film? The new characters will get to "save the day" in two more films, most likely.

KDC1972, Jcuk, T-R- and 3 others like this.
  9. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    Is everyone in agreement that Luke ends up training Rey and possibly Finn as well? Would he be training them on Michael Skellig then?

10. DarthBertChews

DarthBertChews Jedi Master

Jul 29, 2003
    Makes sense if Luke saves the day as a Force Ghost "on another plane of existence" then Rey goes to find physical Luke.

11. DarthBertChews

Jul 29, 2003
    Luke can go back and forth between physical and spiritual world. An original Lucas idea and one he told Hamil about years ago.

nightangel likes this.
  12. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    That's so EU, you know, like the kind you hope you never ever read.

13. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    It makes sense in terms of SW lore, but not really in terms of drama, IMHO. Still, it's an interesting idea.

DarthBertChews likes this.
  14. DarthBertChews

Jul 29, 2003
    Only read 1 EU book. Splinter of a Minds Eye. 35 years ago. I literally have no idea what else happened in EU

15. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Hmm... what if Luke interferes to prevent Rey from killing Kylo? Reverse it and maybe Luke doesn't want Rey to kill him for some reason (maybe due to family relations or something).

nightangel, Jcuk and DarthBertChews like this.
  16. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    I said "so", meaning similar. Sounds like a terrible idea from the EU. There were many.

Jcuk likes this.
  17. DarthBertChews

Jul 29, 2003
    We shall see my young padawan

18. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Regarding the Bespin sabre, I'm struggling to discern why Luke would be interested in it after all these years? He constructed his very own sabre years ago which was in a way his rights of passage to becoming a Jedi. Vader even said so upon examining it. It obviously holds significance for Kylo due to its very history, and likely the crystal within is of significance in some way? The concept art of Maz examining a blue crystal I surmise is that very crystal. Whatever it is, it's clearly important. Perhaps Kylo wants it for his own sabre? Given the Vader obsession.

T-R- and nightangel like this.
  19. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Well we've seen two Luke costumes so far, so one more is not that much of a stretch really. My leading theories:

1. Black cloak and white tunic seen in the second teaser are flashback vision Luke.
    2. Cream and grey Jedi robes seen in the leaked photo are the final Luke look from the end sequence.
    3. Third look is either a second costume seen briefly during the flashback (to indicate passage of time) or Luke wears Jedi robes in a hologram message that are different than the ones we see at the very end (again to indicate time passing)--perhaps much darker, maybe even black, suggesting that Luke was in a darker more tortured place at the beginning of his exile when he recorded the message but is now purified and on the right path when Rey meets him at the end.

20. NostalgiaFan

NostalgiaFan Jedi Padawan star 1

May 24, 2015
    Han was sure as hell not young and he was one of the biggest reasons the good guys even won in the first movie. Also how is that a "OT thing"? I don't remember that happening in any others movies outside the OT.
    Did you even WATCH the OT? Or at least the first Star Wars? Because Luke had so many moments where he could have failed that it is ridiculous to act like he "Saved the day" when he needed more people to help him out then the other way around.
    Is Luke not just being a plot device and having something to do with physically helping the new cast too much to ask?

21. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    For people who dislike the idea in general, this ability could come with a prize and Luke's physical appearance is in danger when he is wandering the netherworld or something like that to create drama and danger. ;)

22. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Don't worry, if this comes to pass I won't gloat. I'll just be happy as a fan. The switcheroo is one thing I've been saying from the beginning. Some of the leaked sheets were real and some not. A lie couched in truth is more believable after all.

Not really. R2 seems to be absent from earlier parts of the movie, maybe Luke drops him off and he lets them know where to find Luke. Heck, maybe Luke goes with Rey on the Falcon to Skellig. Just because he wasn't in the BTS pics doesn't mean he wasn't on the Falcon when cameras rolled.

23. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    What if Han is in the ship as well? Maybe a dying Han and Luke saves him from dying in the end on Skellig, but this changes him? So maybe Luke arrived too late before Kylo stabbed Han and also too late for the big Kylo/Finn/Rey fight. All he could do is let the mountain collapse and bring the dying Han to the special place of Skellig to save him from dying. [face_whistling]

T-R- and kip73 like this.
  24. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    Yeah Jason and MSW are pretty good. They seem to be honest, and don't act like they're something that they're not. Him and his wife are just fans like us. I personally appreciate them doing what they do.

D'an and CGI-BOBAFENT like this.
  25. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    Possible.

T-R- and nightangel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.