main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Fly Guy, Nov 18, 2013.

?

How good will Mark Hamill's performance in episode 7 be?

1. He's going to be great

950 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. He'll do OK

145 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. He's going to stink it up

23 vote(s)
    2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

i dont think i can buy those three new books, they are for middle school age.

2. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Someone here suggested that around the time of the Jakku battle there happened a split between Luke and the Rebels. What if Luke did not agree with the Rebels and how they destroyed helpless/defeated imperials? Maybe he switched sides and saved the imperials from being killed? Then there was a rift between Rebels and Luke with Han/Leia in the middle of it. And Luke stayed on Jakku. [face_thinking]

3. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    and what? Set up a Jedi Academy for the Imperials? I don't think they'll go that route.

EDIT: What if Luke sets up a small Jedi Order for the Republic before leaving, perhaps to search for the KoR or AfB. Jedi would not be present in FO controlled space as the NR isn't helping, thus the Resistance and no Jedi presence.

4. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    not a Jedi Academy for Imperials, but for everyone. Maybe Luke doesn't think in black/white anymore after the events of ROTJ. ;) The whole defection of Finn sets up such things already or the Lost Stars novel. ;)

5. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I still think he would set up the academy in more friendlier confines than the Imperials he just help to defeat

6. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I knew it would be. Luke fans are easily startled.

Just remember this is a quote from a dark sider and not particularly reliable as a predictor of future events.

7. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    wait I thought it was a quote from Palps former advisor Tashu who supposedly doesn't seem to have powers and is a historian of sorts none of which means he's a darksider.

nightangel likes this.
  8. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Ok, bad guy. Palp's advisor. He is suddenly more reliable?

9. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    never said he was reliable he sounds like a follower of the darksiders but isn't one himself and with a book set less than a year after Endor what does he know about anything??? He kinda sounds like a leech. His quote about Luke
    for all we know it could mean let him be for now his time will come when the darskisde Snoke wants to deal with him.:p

nightangel likes this.
  10. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    The idea of Luke deciding to walk away from the war and become more impartial while attempting to build a new Jedi Order is actually kinda intriguing to me. Not that Luke himself would necessarily have a rift with the Rebellion and defect to the Imperials, but the idea of deciding to be open-minded about his potential pupils and separated from either party actually makes sense. Especially after the conclusion of RotJ, with Luke finally being able to redeem Vader and all.

11. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I LOVE the idea of an impartial Jedi Order, one GUARDING peace and justice and not SERVING a particular government. I just don't think the best place to build such an order is in the middle of an Imperial crash site.

12. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

Fair enough. However, from what I understand of the Aftermath spoilers, Jakku seems to essentially be "MEGA Tatooine," in that nothing truly happens there (until the Battle, of course). It comes off as a barren wasteland. With that sort of isolation in mind, I could see Luke selecting Jakku as his base of operation for the new Jedi Order.

I don't think Luke's Order was going to be as proactive as the Lawful Good Paladin types we saw in the PT, but perhaps more akin to that original plan of the Jedi Masters (i.e. OT Yoda/"wizards") and a small number of Jedi Knights (i.e. Obi-Wan) for emergency situations. It could even be that Luke had no intention of having his Jedi be active "guardians of peace and justice" at all until he felt that the Order was more firmly established.

13. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    the problem with supposed impartial is that the First Order seems evil, Rey and Finn are allies/friends (maybe even members for all we know) with the Resistance who fight the Order so how does Luke or the Jedi stay impartial when all the villains like Snoke/Knight of Ren are on one side....[face_dunno]

-LordSkywalker- and nightangel like this.
  14. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    By impartial I mean not serving a particular government. When the FO does evil things they would act. If the Republic did evil things they would act. Impartially and as guardians of peace and justice, not as agents of any particular government.

15. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    yeah but even then it still feels like they might not be fully impartial towards the Resistance that they are at least allies with them.

nightangel likes this.
  16. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I agree, may be as Jakku is a graveyard, littered with relics from a previous war? May be it reminds Luke of Tatooine? The only thing that has given any indication that it's Jakku is that it seems to be the same sand and rocky environment that we see in other confirmed Jakku scenes.

I came up with the theory that when the KoR attacked Luke's academy they kidnapped Kylo and Rey ran off. But then that doesn't explain the rumour that she was living with Han and Chewie and at some point stole the Falcon. There's just too many little gaps at the moment stopping the picture becoming clear.

T-R- likes this.
  17. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014

Not by me, since I don't expect that any darksider would be happy with what Luke achieved in ROTJ. So it is fine to start some drama/tension, but the final execution and characterization of Luke in the ST is what really counts for me. ;)

Revanfan1 and Satipo like this.
  18. AdamDemamp

AdamDemamp Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2015
    People seem to be having a hard time separating Luke from the EU and Luke from current canon. Luke resisted the dark side, but the Emperor got close to turning him, the only reason he stopped was because he had the grim realization that he was not only at risk of becoming his father, but he had already begun to. I'm not saying I believe he's turned to the dark side, but he's not necessarily this completely pure selfless perfect all mighty Jedi we saw in the EU. Yes Lucas said Luke becomes the most powerful of all Jedi, but he also said Han was grilling on Naboo with Leia. The fact is at the end of Jedi Luke was all that was left, his sister wasn't necessarily a viable student and he has no experience teaching the ways of the force. He was tasked with rebuilding this intricate order of spiritual knights by himself in a dark dangerous world that had it in for him. If he never was able to get an academy going or do the stuff he did the EU, then it doesn't detract from him as a character, but rather emphasizes his struggle. Furthermore if Han and Leia lost their children because of his personal quest, they would surely hate him the same way Owen and Beru felt disdain for Obi-Wan.

Forcesensitive01 likes this.
  19. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    I can see Luke struggling, but would have a hard time seing Han/Leia hate him. [face_sigh]

20. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I recently had to pick out a bunch of essays and books on craft for a creative writing class I'm teaching this semester. On character, I ran across this passage that relates to the approach JJ and LK are taking with Luke:

From Jerome Stern's Making Shapely Fiction:

21. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I have not read the entire ammount of pages I have missed. Just came back from holidays. But SW7N have always seemed to try their best to contradict MSW. Particularly that Pomojema guy, who was particularly harsh with MSW in their forums. Luke saving the day goes against Rey meeting him in Skellig Michael at the end. And we have already seen that the Skellig stuff is happening.

I find it a bit sad to have a popular fan site trying to pass their preferences against the evidence.

22. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Here's the thing though: we don't need to have our interest "piqued", nor do we need to " heighten" the arrival of Luke Skywalker. Most of us have waited over thirty years to see him again, and we're already very anxious to see him and to know what he has been doing for over three decades. It's not as though the filmmakers need to get us interested in the character. In fact, this particular approach is only ANNOYING a lot of us instead of building our interest, by making us wait an extra two years to find out about the character.

appleseed and T-R- like this.
  23. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Oh, well. That sucks for you guys.

24. Solo-Skywalker

Solo-Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2014
    Luke Skywalker is not the only thing in Star Wars; He's in the next 3 films, have a little faith and confidence in story and plan moving forward or don't

25. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015
    That may be so but you can't deny that the common theme for Episode I - VI are the Skywalkers...

T-R- and Solo-Skywalker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.