main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Fly Guy, Nov 18, 2013.

?

How good will Mark Hamill's performance in episode 7 be?

1. He's going to be great

950 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. He'll do OK

145 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. He's going to stink it up

23 vote(s)
    2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    His test in the Death Star got him ready for any future tests. He stared down the devil and won. I'm not saying temptation never touched him after that. I'm just saying I seriously doubt he's ever given in to it after the events of ROTJ.

nightangel, TheBBP and ChildOfWinds like this.
  2. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Like I said, you may have experienced something I had not.

But to play devil's advocate: "A couple of times over the past couple of months" isn't exactly the same thing as "everyone ...whining" about it, either. :p

3. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    True. But not even necessarily turning evil. Even just going on some of his own wild adventures would be alright I think.

Darth_Pevra and Rabs like this.
  4. Rabs

Jul 15, 2014
    Oh, I definitely think Luke has spent his time in "exile" searching the galaxy for remnants of the Jedi and learning deeper truths about the Force. I don't buy this idea that he's been sitting in the same cave the entire time. I also believe we'll get an animated series about Luke's travels sometime after TFA is released.

Rellum Kire likes this.
  5. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015

An animated series tends to come with it an annoyingly inserted teenage/kid character so the young target audience has someone to relate to, which I would rather not have. Honestly, if they're already recasting Han Solo, then might as well just do that for the OT3 and be able to do live action.

carlcockatoo likes this.
  6. Rabs

Jul 15, 2014
    I'd prefer an animated series so that Mark could voice Luke.

nightangel, appleseed and Rellum Kire like this.
  7. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    Wasn't there rumors that we might get a Netflix-exclusive Star Wars show in the future, like MCU's Daredevil? That could be a good route to deal with Luke's story in-between RotJ and TFA, even if it's an animated series.

Rabs and Rellum Kire like this.
  8. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I would be happy with that as long as it went back to the semi-anime 2D style of the 2003 Clone Wars micro-series. The animation of Rebels and The Clone Wars (2008) looks butt-ugly.

9. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015

Yeah, but I think that was a while ago. They probably need to establish the new film franchise again first before venturing out. Honestly, I would be fine with recasting for live action. I don't necessarily think post-ROTJ material is best suited for a kid's animation series on Disney channel - I would find it very restricting to tell stories about people in their early-mid 20s under the TV-Y7 guidelines. I think Daredevil proves that even a family friendly film franchise can go dark in the same universe.

10. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    I'm pretty sure that everyone understands that Leia's children would also be Skywalkers, as they would be grandchildren of Anakin Skywalker. HOWEVER, Leia's children would not be Luke Skywalker's children, and it's LUKE SKYWALKER that I want to have descendants. I could care less about Anakin. I am not really much of an Anakin Skywalker fan. I have a hard time caring about a character who murders children, even if he did shove palpatine down the reactor shaft. I would like to see both Leia and Luke have a kid. But I don't want Luke skipped over and left out of having a family just because Leia's kids would be Skywalkers.

11. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    I don't necessarily need Luke's kid(s) or any of the OT3's kids to be the lead heroes of every movie. I think it's just nice to have them out there in some role so in the future, their descendants can pop up again and we can see how this family has evolved over the generations.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  12. Rabs

Jul 15, 2014
    I personally don't care what kind of animation they use since I'm not really a fan of animation. Star Wars is the only animation I watch. Live action is what I would actually prefer. But like I already said I would like it if Mark voiced his own character, and in a live action it would be a different actor. I could live with that but it wouldn't be ideal. So I'll choose the lesser of the two "evils";)

nightangel likes this.
  13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I know that my hopes for my favorite action heroes in films is certainly domesticity.

Dra--- likes this.
  14. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Agree to disagree. These digital environments mixed with studio elements trying to pass off as natural environments just look terrible to me. I understood the attempt to make the elven kingdoms a bit more otherworldly, but a greater blend of exterior shooting (as in Lothlorien) would have created a more compelling effect, IMO. Such as:

[​IMG]

Happy to see JJ, Rian and Gareth doing a lot of location shooting.

El_Machete12 and Darkslayer like this.
  15. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Standing at the precipice of a life and death choice and having the willpower and fortitude to choose death rather than join the dark side isn't enough for you to say that he has some grit? Luke is the Paragon. It is what made him awesome. He doesn't need to be some Legends EU gray Jedi copout.

16. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Who??

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

17. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015

I agree but at the same time I don't. for some reason I like the idea of luke being a 'grey jedi' when we meet him in tfa, from a storytelling perspective anyway. I think it's different when he's leading a jedi order. he's not in a position where he can choose death to escape it. idk, from a 'storytelling perspective' there's something vaguely appealing about meeting luke at the end and there's something off about him. he's not what we expect. I like that concept art in that spoiler storyboard depicting that scene. luke is sitting on a throne looking thing (jedi master ****) yet he's making excuses to rey for why she was abandoned (according to one rumour anyway). two different extremes right there and it has a 'powerful' (for lack of a better word) effect and the lighting in that artwork (blue and red) captured a really interesting vibe. then in VIII we get more explanations for why and see luke overcome the challenges he's been faced with for the past 30 years. to me it's way better to go that route than have him just be the cool hero again, mostly 'cause it actually sends a narrative message and an organic direction to go with a character like luke, who has unrealistic expectations placed on him. I hate how I always compare star wars with harry potter (tbf they are really similar :p ) but to me it's like how we learn some unflattering things about dumbledore (basically like a 'heroic' jedi master), but it doesn't diminish his character. it actually enhances it because we see that he had flaws like everyone else but he managed to overcome them. or something idk if this makes sense.

Rellum Kire likes this.
  18. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    You hit the nail on the head!

19. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I don't like it because it feels like they are trying to shoehorn in Han into a role way more important than he should have due to "popularity."

ChildOfWinds, Darth_Voider and T-R- like this.
  20. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

I'm more of a Luke guy, but some people seem to think the whole universe must revolve around anyone who is a Skywalker. Yes, Han is arguably the most popular SW character. But it's more than that. If the character is set to die in VII then shouldn't he get his due? Luke can get more screentime in VIII and IX.

Knightstalker137 and Shakez like this.
  21. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Not if "getting his due" was done at the expense of Luke in VII. Wouldn't part of "his due" involve interacting with his best human friend?

22. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    nothing has been done at the expense of something......the story is the story.....and you are not writing this story...they are.

People said the same thing "I would have not written the prequels that way. I would have started them with an older Anakin. Obi-Wan would have played Jinn's role. Anakin's fall should have happened sooner. Padme should not have died that way. The friendship between Obi-Wan and Anakin was wrong".......,

We all have our own story regarding what should have happened in the ST.

As for myself, I always thought that he would only appear in Episode 9. Then, Lucas wrote new treatments and all bets were off. I thought, Ok, the story might have changed a bit. It did not and I think that Hamill and Ford were not hoping for a cheesy reunion, they only wanted a really strong story.

I personnally don't think "his due" was to interact with Han.

Friendship come and goes, even more in a galaxy far far away. Years have passed and they left important marks on everyone.

Luke had to leave.

The greatest and the last of the Jedi had important matters to attend to.

23. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014

Frank, do you think we'll get a feeling that Luke has been up to something important on Skellig - or will this be something explored in 8?

24. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    I think that Skellig is an important place and Luke is there for some very specific reasons.

25. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Good enough for me. Seems like there is a little more to it than Yoda 2.0 then.

TK327, VMeran, Krueger and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.