main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Fly Guy, Nov 18, 2013.

?

How good will Mark Hamill's performance in episode 7 be?

1. He's going to be great

950 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. He'll do OK

145 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. He's going to stink it up

23 vote(s)
    2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeanVantis

DeanVantis Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 30, 2015

There. That I like. [face_peace]

nightangel and carlcockatoo like this.
  2. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    This thread has now been successfully hijacked by the troll :(

3. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014

[face_sigh]
    He is the best written character in Star Wars and the main reason I became a fan of this series at all. Also Mark really brought this character to life and when you write he is too old to play him, then the same would fit to all other older characters in Star Wars as well. For me Star Wars was always a generational story for people from 6-100. :)

But if you don't like his character fine, then you may like a different character. To each his own. [face_sigh]

4. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I can't think of a film franchise I like where I hate the main character... Why would you love Star Wars?? Imagine being a huge Indianna Jones fan but hateing Indy! Weird.

5. Solo-Skywalker

Solo-Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2014
    Luke Skywalker is hated, a bad character;[face_shame_on_you] If he was such a bad character "A New Hope" wouldn't have been a critically acclaimed success, not only box office wise but also in pop culture. Their would be no "Empire Strikes Back", no "Force Awakens" nothing without characters such as Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Leia Organa.

Furthermore ....

and then why have JJ Abrams answer "who is Luke Skywalker?"

6. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I have just gone completely blank... Is the surname "Organa" used at all in the OT??

7. DeanVantis

Apr 30, 2015
    If you don't like Luke Skywalker... You don't like Star Wars. [face_not_talking]

8. Solo-Skywalker

Solo-Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2014
    Yes. Just skip to the 4:17 mark if you don't want to listen to John Williams epic score:)

"Princess Leia Organa"

NostalgiaFan likes this.
  9. NostalgiaFan

NostalgiaFan Jedi Padawan star 1

May 24, 2015
    Well I did not want to assume a gender and make a mistake now would I ;)

Honestly in the regular public view it always seemed the opposite to me. Luke has always been portrayed as a whiner who cries a lot by the general public and most people seem to gravitate to Han for good reason as he was from the beginning a bad ass while Luke needed to be saved plenty of times in the first movie and was trying to grow throughout the films. Because of this I feel Luke is the more underrated one when it came to both people outside the fandom and in many places inside. But people who were big fans of Star Wars had a bigger appreciation for Luke and his journey to see him go from this young somewhat whiny kid to this kick ass Jedi warrior at the end of the OT.

10. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
  11. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015
    The character Luke is a rolemodel for me, I liked him as a kid and I still love this character. Others liked Han Solo, he was more like the popular kid at school and Luke was more the silent kid, a kid that was thrown a huge challenge on to him.

12. DeanVantis

Apr 30, 2015

Nice to see those who can relate to Luke. :)

Not that I hate Han, of course.

13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I think the Luke = whiner is just another stupid internet meme and actually not all that common in the real world. I like Stuckman's take on it (forward to 7:10):

Darth_Voider and nightangel like this.
  14. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I won't be upset about the negative Luke / Mark comment. To each their own. I know where I sit, stand etc. about Luke/Mark's performance and it will most likely continue into a fourth decade. :)

15. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
  16. DeanVantis

Apr 30, 2015
  17. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015

when I'm watching breaking bad walter white is kind of likeable (as a villain) half the time but the other half I dgaf at all and like most of the other characters way more.

I think the 'love' for han is more to do with harrison ford than it is with the character han. that's what people who aren't really fans of star wars are going to be more interested in. for people who are fans I feel like han is actually underestimated a lot because he's not a jedi or w/e. but pretty much every star wars character is overrated imo. they're all somewhat one dimensional, it's just that in star wars we get a nice dosage of personality and it kind of encourages us to fill in the blanks ourselves, which is how people get so attached to them lol. but yeah, the reason I see where redlightning is coming from is that while I like luke, I don't see what makes him stand out from the rest so much. like at all. he's unique, I'm talking in terms of 'quality of writing/portrayal/etc.' he really does whine a lot (not saying that 'cause of the internet or w/e) which is kind of the point of course- he, han, etc. all start with major flaws and grow past them. but imo we don't ever see much more than that and I just don't see what makes him so great compared to the other characters. I kinda hate how luke and han are always compared but I think some of my 'problems' with luke is just how his arc was designed. imo han's (up until rotj) was much more natural and believable. with luke it's kind of oddly paced (you go from whiny kid to suddenly kinda likable guy but written with weird back-and-forth dialogue), and aside from the luke vs vader moments (quality moments for both characters. I might include the yoda x wing scene here too) it's set up to where you don't really feel for him or believe he's really growing from what's going on around him. idk if this makes sense.

anyway I think tfa will greatly enhance both characters so it's w/e.

18. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015

lol

6. mark aged into the cool type of old. also star wars has lots of old people doing cool things anyway.
    5. who cares he's still most famous for star wars.
    4. who cares
    3. kinda true but who cares
    2. so does every actor sometimes probably
    1. who cares

didn't even read it just the top of each page but yeah.

only one way mark could ruin the film (which would actually be the writers not mark) is that the whole thing obsesses over luke and portraying him ot style rather than letting us explore new stuff.

19. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    come on Luke in VI doesn't whine not even once and he was always a likable character from beginning to end. He's a wise beyond his years Jedi who makes you question every action he takes but is right every time even when other characters try to convince him otherwise. Always loved that transformation from farmboy-reckless-Wise beyond his years. He's the heart of the OT, plus one can't compare Han with Luke as that makes no sense both character have a different journey and who's meeting helped the other reach their destined path.

20. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
  21. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
  22. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    To generate clicks.

Darth_Pevra and nightangel like this.
  23. DeanVantis

Apr 30, 2015

Good thing I didn't open that **** of a page. :cool:

nightangel and Darth_Voider like this.
  24. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    For my money, the only way Mark Hamill could ruin any of these films would be by not being a part of them. Thank goodness he said "yes."

Anything Hamill contributes will be worth its weight in gold.

25. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I would say thank goodness that Harrison who seemed to have moved past SW for decades said yes. As Hamill did say that he came back for the fans and that he wouldn't have come back if it wasn't all 3 of the OT3. So if Harrison said no....

nightangel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.