main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Fly Guy, Nov 18, 2013.

?

How good will Mark Hamill's performance in episode 7 be?

1. He's going to be great

950 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. He'll do OK

145 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. He's going to stink it up

23 vote(s)
    2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bazookaleffe

Bazookaleffe Jedi Master star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    He looks better now than he did before the shooting of Ep. 7 began. :D
    Go Mark!

2. ElizaD

ElizaD Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 25, 2015
    He and Carrie are much better now than years beforeĀ”

3. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yes and the first idea would make Luke an important part of the story, the 2nd idea makes him just an idea/afterthought/MacGuffin or whatever you call it. ;)

4. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
  5. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Eh not a shocker can you imagine how mad Fans would be if they got 5 mins of Luke and found out something like he is dead at the end?

appleseed and nightangel like this.
  6. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Who said that? I take it you're referring to JJ? Link?

7. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Actually, no. There isn't conflict in those two ideas at all.
    Luke is a Mystery. A central Mystery. That's pretty clear.
    The tone of the Mystery varies for Old Characters, New Characters and also for the Viewer.

titansupes and yassir.khan like this.
  8. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002

I never said there was a conflict. I said "Who is Luke Skywalker?" is a different point of inspiration than "How do younger characters view the OT?".

Jcuk it was the Good Morning America interview. I'll try to dig up the link in a bit.

T-R-, taramidala, Jcuk and 1 other person like this.
  9. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    "backpedaling". I get that you are pretty pedantic in your interpretation of statements. Okay then, I don't think JJ is backpedaling.... Who Is Luke? is still an important theme.

10. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    The film will, (probably) end up proving me wrong, and my soul is more than prepared for that eventuality ;) But I just think that Luke will prove to be a mystery to everyone else in this film. But most importantly, he won't be to us the viewer. Admittedly we may not see a full unveil until later in the film? But he will be there..Anyway, whatever will be will be. And as long as whatever way they've gone with ultimately makes sense plot wise? I will not complain.

yassir.khan and nightangel like this.
  11. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002

Okay, "backpedaling" wasn't the best word choice. I'm not trying to read too much into things I just found it interesting that the idea as he presents it has changed a bit, that's all. At the time of the orignal quote (was it the VF article?) some were saying they thought it was damage control because of the rumors that Luke was barely in the film. I still don't think that is true, but I found the slightly different focus of his comments here interesting.

I do think JJ and KK have been walking a tightrope trying to balance the audience's expectations, and they have been doing a great job of it.

Sorry if I am coming across argumentative today. First day back at work after a week off so I guess I'm a bit grouchy. :)

12. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    I am starting more and more to grow with this idea. The mystery of Luke. I am not afraid of saying this which is a bit politically uncorrect: The character of Luke could have risked of becoming boring and very tied up to his arc in OT, and especially with the outcome we know, of it. Nobody wants failures in life, but its true that this is the way you learn, about life, and how to remain strong and confident about the things that really matters to you. I believe that is a mirror Kasdan/Abrams might have used for Luke, and the drama of this character, pre and now TFA story. This do not mean an evil Luke, just more "Luke in a dark spot maybe" and a Luke that have experienced there is more to life...than, well say, his OT adventures. Which is rough enough, for most heroes, but the aftermath could be even more intriguing and exciting, or it often is.

Master_Lok likes this.
  13. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    I like that the youngsters will have myth and propaganda surrounding his name. He is like , I dunno, JFK. It's not so easy to separate the truth and the mythology.

hippie1kenobi likes this.
  14. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

LOL ;) Indeed. Star Wars is the wrong film to make if you're thin-skinned. The rancors fans come out with sabers swinging.

Disney/Cast and Crew made their money from my ticket. If I'm not pleased, Rogue One is a year off. I'm treating this new wave of Star Wars like I do comic books and comic book films. I see / read what I want, and leave the rest. If I don't like, no big deal. Nothing can ever screw up the films that made me love Luke and these characters and universe (38.5 years later I'm still around. Sorry, J.J. :p )

nightangel likes this.
  15. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    It's become glaringly obvious that there are a lot of EU fans on here. And, no disrespect to them. They appear to be quite disgruntled that the films story isn't (on the face of things) adhering to how the old EU had basically outlined. Solo/Skywalker siblings, Luke having a wife and a fledgling Jedi Order. Now I'm not saying there could possibly be elements from those that haven't been utilised? Just if you're 100% convinced they have and then find out to the contrary when you see the film? What will your mindset be? Will you give up on the film from that point on and just go through the the motions?

AloneinSpace likes this.
  16. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Yep I agree and the same for me, but I still hope they treat the character of Luke very well in this new trilogy. I have no problems with new challenges for Luke, as long as he is treated with respect. :)

Master_Lok and Jcuk like this.
  17. cronus33

cronus33 Jedi Master star 2

Apr 17, 2005
    I still struggle with the question of why is Luke (and Mark) being kept COMPLETELY out of the marketing, including the promotional tours.

Harrison/Han has been all over on live shows, done interviews, etc. More importantly, he is also in the trailers, posters, and merchandise.
    Hell, even Carrie Fisher is.

Even if Luke is only in the movie for 3 minutes, why isn't he on the posters? Even as a hooded figure? Or why isn't Mark doing any promotional stuff?

Just very strange to me...

ChildOfWinds and taramidala like this.
  18. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

No offense to the fans who love that Luke E.U. and the Solo kids etc.

I'm glad I only went collectively bonkers over the ancient EU (Dawn of the Jedi), I have no expectations about Luke and the Solo kids because Mara Jade turned me off to that version of Luke immediately. [face_batting]

Carry on, sir!

Indeed. Let the characters be the characters and I'm good.

nightangel and Jcuk like this.
  19. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    It's certainly appearing the films narrative has Luke being central to it. Snoke and Kylo seem to have him front and centre in their thoughts. To find and destroy him. Rey,it appears is destined to be trained by him. The character is extremely important to the story. He is the last of his kind after all. A Jedi. A myth, a legend. I love that :) Just bring the film on now, tired of debating Lukes screen time ;)

nightangel and Master_Lok like this.
  20. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    I don't think the idea changed. He never really explained it. I think he at first just said the concept of "who is Luke skywalker" was interesting to him. Everyone took that to mean we'd learn all this stuff about Luke, that he might have a more expansive backstory between ROTJ and now. But JJ explained it further today that it's from the perspective of Rey learning about the legend of Luke (and that means even before ROTJ - what we've already seen in the OT). We, the audience, will actually know more about Luke than Rey but we get to watch Rey learn that the myth is real. And that she amazingly has these force powers too.

21. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    Luke is not in the promotion because he IS the mystery of the movie. Is Luke still alive? Where is he? etc. if you have him in a teaser or on the poster it blows a story point. Not to us, but to the millions of casual fans and SW newbies going to see TFA.

I have no doubt that he will be up there front and centre with VIII promotion, basically replacing Han in that role.

22. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Fine by me. :) You have always come up with interesting ideas, ways of describing what's up so I hope that will continue going forward.

I'm tired of chasing my tail in here (and the Boyega thread) too. 8-}

nightangel and Jcuk like this.
  23. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    If this is how Mark Hamill will look in EpVIII then what a huge waste not to have him as prominent in that film as Harrison Ford seemingly is to be in TFA...

nightangel likes this.
  24. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    VIII's principal photography is only a matter of weeks away...;)

25. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    That's what's worrying me, its after the Christmas and New Year Festivities:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.