main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Fly Guy, Nov 18, 2013.

?

How good will Mark Hamill's performance in episode 7 be?

1. He's going to be great

950 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. He'll do OK

145 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. He's going to stink it up

23 vote(s)
    2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Wookieepedia. According to them it came from "Star Wars Card Trader."

titansupes likes this.
  2. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    new trading cards for Luke, Rey etc. (no idea why Rey and Kylo are rated higher with their power abilities as Luke):
    [​IMG]

3. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015
    Kylo will pee his pants if Luke would stare at him like this, bad ass.

nightangel likes this.
  4. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Jesus, who designs these things?

Jedi Jessy and TCF-1138 like this.
  5. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    Topps [face_sigh]

6. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016

One of the most epic moments in any Batman film at 2:26.

7. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Makes sense. They have a history of terrible designs. I was a baseball card collector in my youth, and I distinctly remember being revolted by the first '88 Topps pack I opened.

nightangel likes this.
  8. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    yep I agree, but sadly no better trading cards are there. [face_sigh]

9. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    He was perfect!

10. ForgottenMaster

ForgottenMaster Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    I just read a story that quoted Mark as saying that he thought while reading the script for the first time that the scene on Starkiller when the lightsaber was wiggling in the snow was going to be his reveal. That would have been pretty cool.

11. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

It would have been a cool moment, but in context would be pretty hard to explain (and since we don't know exactly why he went away, or what he was doing, there may well be a very good reason that that didn't happen)

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  12. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I'm thinking Luke can merge with the force at will.

13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It would have also made almost the entire movie pointless. He must find Luke... oh wait, there he is. :p

14. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015

Sure, it would be cool, but at the same time, it would raise a lot of issues.... how could Luke suddenly appear on SKB on the exact same spot as Rey and Kylo? How did he get there?

TFA ending is as close as perfect it could be, in my point of view.

We climbed those steps together with Rey. The anticipation in the theather was amazing. We knew exactly that the big reveal was coming. The beautiful images, the subtle music, the simbology of the moment, all this after our heads are still trying to process the death of Han.... wow....

Mark Hamill is a very good actor. He managed to convey so much emotion in a single look.

TFA story and ending represent our path coming to TFA. We wanted to find the heroes of our past. We went searching for them. This was our objective, and TFA mirrored OUR PATH into Rey's story.

15. Lazy_Ewok

Lazy_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2016
    I was disappointed that they didn't have more of Mark Hamill in the movie. This is one of the reasons why it wasn't as good as it could have been.

16. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Think of this way then, Episode 8 is going to be all the more exciting because we'll have more Luke!

17. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

Agreed 100%. The reveal of Luke on the mountaintop is so much more epic and mystical a scene than if he were to pop up just in time for the SKB fight. That would have been an action movie moment. Instead, we got a mythic moment.

18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't care for that scene at all. It did absolutely nothing for me. I'm not sure what's supposed to be mystical, epic or mythic about Luke Skywalker standing there looking sad. That's not even Luke Skywalker.

It's entirely reliant on the mere iconic existence of Luke Skywalker...without being in any way even remotely reminiscent of Luke Skywalker.

It's an attempt at nostalgia mining...that forgot the nostalgia.

You want a scene like that to work?

Have Luke swing in on a rope, or suddenly take off a helmet (a surprise reveal), here to rescue you. Or something like that. It has to be in some way reminiscent of Luke Skywalker, not just him standing there.

Really, Luke doesn't cut much of an imposing figure that him just standing has any effect. Vader in the darkness, with his fists on his hips, that's an image that has an effect. Luke, not so much.

19. WhyKnock

WhyKnock Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2016
    I just saw this, it's pretty epic. I'm not sure what the rules are on posting video links on here so remove the space

vid.me/ 2Wu0

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I seem to remember an iconic scene of Luke just standing.

[​IMG]

21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, Luke has a history of standing, looking at things.

[​IMG]

22. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    And, don't forget emoting without dialogue. That's an old Luke classic. :D

23. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, and I thought of those moments.

I mean, I could add this one, too.
    [​IMG]
    We know those scenes have meaning, we know why they resonate with us.

Hint: He's not just standing there. The funeral pyre scene has his father's burning remains, and the pic I posted has him looking on the ghost of his father united with the ghosts of his mentors.

The binary sunset is clearly representative of a bored youth yearning for something more. Or something like that.

What in the scene in TFA makes you feel anything? What makes you say "wow, that's Luke Skywalker"?

Myths explain things, represent things. What's being represented there? And how does it relate to Luke Skywalker as a character?

I'm not sure how you can feel anything when the scene has no context. I'm not sure how him standing there makes you go, "whoa, that's so Luke Skywalker".

24. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, it being the last scene in the film does leave it mysterious, since we don't know what Luke is thinking, but I got a great deal from what Hamill conveyed emotionally. The weight of past tragedies. The memories and feelings evoked by seeing the saber, again. The weight of the decision he now has to make about returning. The knowledge he has amassed, that others aren't privy to, that will factor into his decision. The dangers to the galaxy if he makes the wrong choice. I think Hamill played it beautifully, ambiguous.

25. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

As in many myths, he's a mysterious old sage. As for meaning? Based on the fact that we know Luke "walked away from everything" after his Jedi Temple was destroyed, I think he's strongly akin to the Fisher King - a figure of ancient Celtic myth. And Rey (Percival) is there to awaken him from his slumber - even replicating, in reverse, an exchange of a sword. The scene has extraordinary mythic meaning for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.