main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Fly Guy, Nov 18, 2013.

?

How good will Mark Hamill's performance in episode 7 be?

1. He's going to be great

950 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. He'll do OK

145 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. He's going to stink it up

23 vote(s)
    2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malak Taus

Malak Taus Jedi Knight

Oct 15, 2014

Certainly. Someone somewhere speculated that Skywalker could perhaps be messing with Kylo Ren's head, too. This one seems a bit like a stretch to me, but I can see Luke disguising himself as some apparently evil force as a way of both disguising himself and attracting to his whereabouts only the most evil: the one or ones who are "behind it all". But if you ask me: out of my previous post, the parts that are most probably true are the ones concerning Hamill's one or two scenes, another actor playing the part in some flashback, and the overall Presence of the character as a Force.

2. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

Exactly. And if they show it, I'll LAUGH. Out loud because they'd be showing the last scene in the movie in the trailer just to satisfy people wanting to see Luke.

Then there'll be 9 months of people photoshopping that one shot of Luke into all sorts of crazy fan art hyping themselves up for something that won't happen in the movie.

3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Django Fett, I like the narration idea. That could go a long way in satisfying some fans if Luke only appears for the one scene.

4. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yeah we got it, Luke is only in 2 scenes (one young Luke + 1 old Luke), but is it necessary to make fun of an understandable disappointment? [face_dunno]

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    A Yoda-Rebels-like scene would be pretty awesome and totally possible as call sheets don't have dialogue included.

TheBBP likes this.
  6. titansupes

titansupes Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2013
    Personally, all I'm hoping for is at least (at least) a Spock-Prime like presence in ST'09 for Luke, followed by a large role in EpVIII. I'd have rather he have a big role now (including but not limited to a brief lighsaber fight) but I'll take what I can get.

As long as 1) it's good and 2) there's the promise of more Luke in the future, I'm set.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  7. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

They could sneak Frank Oz in and out of a recording studio and nobody would know it.

8. titansupes

Oct 30, 2013

Sorry, I just have to ask... Do you have a link to the original version of your avvy somewhere? It looks fantastic.

9. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    http://goo.gl/J39u4p

10. darthmomm

darthmomm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    Amen

Redimet likes this.
  11. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    what if Leanne Best is playing the wife of Robert Boulter's Luke in the flashback sequence and she gets killed in that sequence???[face_whistling]:D

12. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

This actually just reminded me of that production meeting image from a year ago that clearly had a photo of ghost Obi-Wan talking to Luke on their wall. Makes you wonder why they felt the need to display that. Of course things could have changed between that meeting and principal photography.

13. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    That's your example? A melodramatic fan service hero shot from Avengers? I think the Marvel films are good fun, but I expect a more restrained filmmaking style for Star Wars. Something more akin to the classic epics (and the OT). Don't want no spinning camera theme park nonsense in TFA.

14. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    I could see that. Though personally I would prefer the wife be alive. Two parent families can be interesting, Disney! ;)

nightangel, Michaea and starocean90 like this.
  15. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    yet no actress cast fits the description of present day wife of Luke, so having her be in the past and showing her being killed eliminates the problem.[face_whistling][face_devil]:p
    also if Kylo is Luke's nephew and he kills her or helps her in death, wouldn't that make Luke want revenge (lead to anger) and to avoid that and killing his own nephew (family) Luke exiles himself (also because of despair). It's better than exiles himself for decades because his students got killed. Maybe he even thinks his child died in the attack but unknowingly survived.[face_dunno]

16. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    I hope these rumors are accurate. Though I lament the death of the tomb plot, the film seems to be a refreshingly simple one, punctuated with mythic moments. In other words, Star Wars.

CGI-BOBAFENT likes this.
  17. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Perhaps Luke went after Kylo, and Rey is looked after for a time by his wife until she dies a natural death? I'm sure her murder would provide additional motivation to Luke, but seeing all of one's students murdered should be motive enough to even the most cold-hearted person, to say nothing of someone like Luke. I'd also hope at least one generation of Skywalkers would get to grow up with at least one of their parents - assuming Rey is something of a daughter to Luke.

Plus - and I know this is a controversial topic - I'm tired of heroes standing tall on the ashes of their dead and/or brutalized women. Luke's motives should be more complex. :)

18. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    Rey does seem to have a connection to Luke, her entire life is linked with him, what that link is, who knows for now.
    as for the murder of the mother, it could give her fear of Kylo (trauma) and hatred towards him especially if she was there (motivation).[face_dunno][face_devil]

19. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

Alright, I've sat down and looked at the flashback report carefully. Trying to visualize the flashback in a cinematic sense: You guys with me? Good.

The problem with the flashback sequence is that its very confusing. There is little connective tissue it seems from shot to shot(or the connective tissue isn't referenced directly initially-I assume its the lightsaber). I'm not 100 percent sure if Jason got it sequentially correct but I'll say that he did, Another huge problem is I can't seem to reconcile the "Lightsaber in space" stuff. I don't know if that was misreading now. But that doesn't make any sense if we are following the story of the lightsaber. Anyways, here goes:

!)We see Luke Skywalker arrive at his academy. It appears that its been raided and most if not all of his students have been killed

2)Important point: it references one of the key and last known shot of Luke Skywalker is at Dusk. Luke leaves his academy at dusk probably after burying his students from the POV of R2.

Key Points: a) What is the one of the most iconic shots of Luke Skywalker at dusk? Luke looking at the two suns of Tatooine. I believe that is the shot of this scene. Luke walking into the sunset of the two suns. Luke's academy is on Tatooine. This is critical because this is the starting point of the flashback.

b)Rey was not at the Academy. She was not one of his former pupils.

c)I believe the connective tissue is that Luke leaves behind his lightsaber. Perhaps he feels he failed to protect his students and doesn't believe in himself anymore? I don't know.

Note: If the "lightsaber in space" stuff is true. Then Luke tossed his lightsaber in space and it traveled to the new sand planet. But, I'm going to assume that the planet is Tatooine. The "lightsaber in space" stuff is a misreading.

3)The next shot denotes a savannah. My guess is that the savannah is used to denote time passage(life growing from the bodies Luke buried?). Savannah's can still be on the desert. A peasant(Naka) picks up the saber(after the bush fire) and then it travels to a trader who sells it to a wealthy man. This all taking place on the same planet.

Note: This is where this stuff gets REALLY murky. If its a force vision this stuff may not be Rey's past. Its merely how Rey/Finn are interpreting it themselves. It really depends on how the director is trying to convey this. It either happened to Rey or Rey is a passive POV point in the vision. This is VERY important. I can't decipher clearly.

4)It appears the wealthy man(Rey's guardian/father?)or just a random Clan(family?) is using the saber to protect themselves against the Seven(the bad guys). Kylo Ren appears to be apart of the Seven. He approaches Rey in the vision. Now this could be that Rey is watching her family be massacred or she is the passive POV watching a random family being murdered in horror. This is almost impossible to decipher.
    If Rey's family was massacred than Kylo Ren spared her. If she is not related than she is just watching a monster do his work in horror.

Note: this is the same problem I am having of whether a character is a passive or active participate in the vision.

5)We see Rose taking the lightsaber as the seven are looting. So either Rose literally is picking up the lightsaber(which kinda doesn't make any sense)or the the lightsaber is a visual segway to where Rose takes the lightsaber to present it to Rey/Finn. Thus, ending the vision.

20. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    I have some What-if's.

MSW says that the info he has came coded and that he had to decode it. What if each sheet had it's own code? What if he has misplaced characters at certain scenes? What if the movie doesn't end with Rey handing Luke a saber in a no-dialogue scene? What if it is Kylo handing the saber off to Serkis' mystery Sith and this is the first real glimpse that we get of him. To me, that would make a ton of sense if Serkis' mystery Sith was just a voice in the Force until the end.

Not arguing that this is what happened. Just posing a what-if.

21. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

I don't know what to tell ya. But if I just typed that wall of text from the same report he did. I think there is massive wiggle room to interpret stuff.

22. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    It is also entirely possible that the lightsaber mcguffin is not Luke's lightsaber at all. It could be an item from the Academy. That the saber, in question, has a very specific purpose like the "one ring" from LOTR...

<shrug>

23. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

I feel you. There is a massive amount of interpretation going on and folks should be a bit more cautious about taking it word-for-word. Add in the simple fact that there are STILL so many unanswered questions, there is just too much info that is either too murky or plainly not known for anyone to be able to definitively "It happens like this!".

Michaea and Master_Lok like this.
  24. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2014
    The problems and puzzles don't lie in the coded documents, it's beginning to feel like the interpretations from MSW are what's confusing. It's sadly becoming a bit all over the place. I don't know what is from the document and what is from the minds at MSW.

25. titansupes

Oct 30, 2013

I thank you.

TheBBP likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.