main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Fly Guy, Nov 18, 2013.

?

How good will Mark Hamill's performance in episode 7 be?

1. He's going to be great

950 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. He'll do OK

145 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. He's going to stink it up

23 vote(s)
    2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2014
    Yep it has come to the table a few times. It has been discussed in a Kaibur crystal thread and The Tomb thread: featuring a theory that a crystal stored in a lightsaber, like in ESB, might help open the tomb up.

Michaea and Satipo like this.
  2. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    You're really not making much noise though in the grand scheme of things. People are talking about "a backlash". Seems to be about the same 10 (twenty tops) or so people voicing their displeasure (which is cool) over and over. In the broader sense of general audiences, that's nothing. We, the hardcore, are not as as numerous as we like to think sometimes. I'm also fairly confident that once the film plays out in its intended context the decision will make sense and we'll realise we're in for more Luke further on in 8 and possibly 9. I totally expect Luke's absence/ the search for him/ the mystery around him being missing to be very clear from the trailers and other marketing (assuming this is all true anyway).

TK327 and Hoggsquattle like this.
  3. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    If Rose ends up being the Jedi and somehow Luke gets killed in VIII and Rose is the one completing Rey training, then I will agree with all Luke fans panicking.

Let´s hope his role is large enough on VIII and IX and everyone is happy.

starocean90 and nightangel like this.
  4. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    I really don't see the need to worry.

Abrams is as much a fan as any of us, and probably far more sensible to boot.

Luke isn't going to be just a cameo - he will fit into the movie in a way that benefits both the story and the character.

And screen time does not equal quality.

I hoping for a reunion on screen of all the OT characters, but there is more powerful storytelling in Luke, Han and Leia never getting to fly off on one last adventure together.

The Sequels movies are not going to be "OT death films".

Only one OT character is getting killed off. Killing off one or two with each film, for the sake of it, would be shoddy storytelling.

5. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I think Luke will get numerous mentions throughout the movie and once it is clear that everyone is looking for him, the anticipation will build in the audience. Maybe it's me, but of all the stuff I've heard recently- assuming this is what we are going to get- I'm absolutely fine with him turning up only at the end. It will be the payoff for all that build up. I could see it being a symbolically very powerful scene if done well. :)

6. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Agreed.

Flapjack4 likes this.
  7. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

I have my doubts about it all - the rumours, etc. - but regardless I'm glad to be aware of it.

I am hoping for, and expecting, a big on screen reunion, but now I'm prepared for that not happening. And if it does, then I'll enjoy it more because of the doubt. :)

Either way, it's all good.

The thing is, if Luke does only show up at the end, it will be cool for long time fans, but how will newcomers view him? Will he just be the old dude who showed up at the end? Will it be overshadowed by Han's death?

nightangel likes this.
  8. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
    that depends on how jj handle rey's story.

9. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Yup. And sort of like Marcellus Wallace in Pulp Fiction. Of course, we know Tarantino was a fan of High Noon...

10. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

You if Rey is a Solo?

11. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I have my doubts about a lot of things personally... some things don't add up and I don't believe we've had the final version of a lot of stuff. We have to remember that there are still glaring gaps in the big overall picture and some stuff, perhaps even the Luke stuff is still off; who knows?

Having said that, it does actually make sense to me to focus on Han in this movie of the OT3 for reasons I won't repeat; having detailed my take on this before.

How noobs will view this is difficult to say... as an old fart who clearly remembers seeing ANH in '77, I'm always fascinated to hear the stories of the fans who weren't even born then and didn't have the three years of anticipation between the original movies. And yet, we are still all fans and love these characters just as much regardless. :)

Michaea and Satipo like this.
  12. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014

Imagine everyone who avoided spoilers and who is a Luke fan watching the movie:

"Ahhh cool they search for Luke, so he is important.:D ....(after 40 minutes)...hmmm, who is the hooded young dude there, doesn't look like Luke, strange..:confused: ...(after 1 hour and 10 minutes)....ohhh god that hooded villain is Luke.[face_hypnotized] ..ups no that's this new guy from 'Girls' series.[face_relieved] ..hmmm, where is Luke..[face_waiting] ...(after 1 hour and 40 minutes).. they will never find Luke in this movie.[face_sick] ...(after 2 hours)...who is this hooded and bearded guy who get's Luke lightsaber, the big baddie 'Uber'?.:eek: ...(end credits)....there was no Luke in this movie, why did they search 2 hours for him?:mad:"

appleseed and starocean90 like this.
  13. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Sorry, I meant "You mean if Rey is a Solo?"

14. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015
    For me SW has always been the story evolving around Luke, when I was kid I always wanted to play Luke, he was/is a role model. Han Solo was cool, but Luke has something special. Luke just brings back all those childhood memories, people like me want to feel those feelings again. Maybe I'm getting to emotional but this is just how the SW saga feels to me. I really hope JJ/Disney do justice to the character Luke, if it's not in VII then IMO it should be in VIII.

15. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

I think it is save to say that any of us can anticipate audience reactions, that Lucasfilm and Disney have already considered it.

The Big Three are going to be a major draw for a certain, significant section of the audience (fandom and otherwise) and steps would have been taken to downplay Hamill's involvement or ease expectations.

There has been none of that so therefore Lucasfilm and Disney clearly believe that Luke's role is significant enough to that the audience expectation will be meet, if that expectation is reasonable. ;)

16. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

A reasonable way to look at this, especially in light of Mark's comments about fans' expectations.

17. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    I had the weirdest dream last night. Mark and I run into each other in a public restroom. We somehow start talking about his performance in Return of the Jedi. He rolls his eyes, starts talking about how he didn't enjoy his performance in the film in hindsight, and that he over-acted in much of it. He makes some quip about being able to see and hear literally all of the major characters he voices in cartoons. As he was washing his hands, he looks up into the mirror to look at me and does his iconic Joker laugh.

18. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008

If that's your weirdest dream you're not getting nearly enough calcium.

Mark should at least have morphed into some guy you went to school with but haven't thought about in years and the bathroom should have been made from custard.

EAT MORE CHEESE!

Hydro spanner Celt likes this.
  19. Knightstalker137

Knightstalker137 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2003
    Just saw Kingsman: The Secret Service, and it was great seeing Mark back up on the big screen :)

TheBBP, Revanfan1, nightangel and 2 others like this.
  20. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Small part, but wasn't he great?

TheBBP and Knightstalker137 like this.
  21. Knightstalker137

May 17, 2003
    He was indeed. It's amazing how much he's transformed since he filmed that. Overall great movie, Colin Firth rocked! :D

TheBBP and DarthLightlyBruise like this.
  22. Victorian Time Traveler

Nov 20, 2012
    That church scene tho...
    :cool:

Knightstalker137 likes this.
  23. Victorian Time Traveler

Nov 20, 2012
    That church scene tho...
    :cool:

TheBBP likes this.
  24. Knightstalker137

May 17, 2003
    Haha yeah, there was applause after that in my screening. Just awesome lol.

25. darthmomm

darthmomm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    Nevermind lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.