main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Fly Guy, Nov 18, 2013.

?

How good will Mark Hamill's performance in episode 7 be?

1. He's going to be great

950 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. He'll do OK

145 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. He's going to stink it up

23 vote(s)
    2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I keep wondering if the new trailer will put the "search for Skywalker/ missing Luke" premise out there. I think if there is going to be very little Luke, it would be good to make that fairly clear early.

After all the hand-wringing, it will be amusing if the next trailer shows Luke fully involved in the plot. I don't think that will happen. Then again, I just hope the new trailer confirms certain elements one way or another. If MSW is wide of the mark and some of us are barking up the wrong tree, I don't mind at all, at least it should dampen down some of the hyperbole and we can all start speculating in a fresh direction.

2. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    Reposted:

3. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Satipo

If Luke isn't in much of the movie, they might not include him in the trailer at all.

It would seem the logical thing to do (to leave him out) - but then the studios are rarely logical when it comes to trailers anyway.

It a second teaser or full trailer expected from Celebration?

Flapjack4 and DarthLightlyBruise like this.
  4. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I do think that whatever went down at the Academy split Han, Leia and Luke apart. I think Han blames Luke. It's really simple and really human.

5. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Me like. I can imagine a scene where Han explains to someone (Leia?) that he drove Luke away.

Millennium Fairlane likes this.
  6. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    I know right. Because WHY the codename Kira, WHY Ren's apparent obsession over Han in three scenes now ('Don't get sentimental', cockpit, hunting down Solo)... THE FLASHBACK is the key.

7. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    For what sins??? A sin means Luke did some villain stuff and that is for sure not the case. Luke cannot be blamed that dark siders attacked his academy. An enemy can always attack and it can never be completely excluded.[face_dunno]

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  8. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    Not posted here in a while, as I've been somewhat out of the loop. But having caught up with some of the rumours, I have to say that the premise that MSW puts forward these days seems very plausible given what we know from the trailer and various earlier rumours/concept art. I very much like the idea of Luke's initial attempt at a Jedi Academy not going according to plan, possibly giving rise to further problems that could distance him from Han and Leia. The Kylo-Rey/Kira dynamic seems like an interesting way of exploring that concept as it personifies the positive and negative fallout of this earlier cataclysm, and presents a new familial take on the good and evil choices people make in life.

I don't mind the idea of Luke being mostly in the shadows and only fully emerging at the conclusion of the film. It sets him up to become almost a Yoda figure for the next instalment, while also giving him importance by making him the object of everybody's search. When we finally see him and Rey together it should be a huge pay off and get people excited for the next chapter.

If this outline is mostly true, I'll be happy. It will mean the film makers have wisely avoided the cliche that many fans had visualised, in which Luke is running around as a saber brandishing Jedi badass for half the film.

DarthLightlyBruise, m4st4 and Satipo like this.
  9. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    I was waiting for Luke lovers to jump on a single line... 'Sins' = Luke being tormented by the fact that there was a serious fallout between the three and that he might feel guilty about it, even if it's all on Uber & Co. To atone means to come at peace with the situation and to do what is right - in this case to train Rey and teach her the ways of the force, only this time it'll be a Yoda-like training, on a smaller, more intimate scale.

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  10. Ben R

Ben R Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2000
    And, what would be wrong with that???

:p

obi_kenobi_24 and nightangel like this.
  11. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014

but the whole descriptions reads like Han forces Luke to leave, because he thinks it was his fault. Leia also thinks it was Luke's fault, but in the end sends her daughter to be trained and that Luke can atone his sins. So everyone including Luke thinks it was Luke's fault, despite that some other guys did the attack? What could he have done, when he was not there at the moment of the attack? I simply don't get the logic behind it.[face_dunno]

ChildOfWinds and starocean90 like this.
  12. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    Of course you don't see the logic, you're too much into your own idea of how Luke should be presented here. And the way you interpreted my points isn't exactly how I interpreted them, there's a certain amount of discrepancy that comes from the fact that no matter how they spin it, you will never believe it makes sense because - Luke is in one scene.

13. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    I would say the same when Luke would be running 'depressed' through half of the movie because of his 'sins' . :rolleyes:

starocean90 likes this.
  14. -LordSkywalker-

-LordSkywalker- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    I understand what you are presenting, but I just do not like it. It a very depressing situation. I feel it regresses all three characters and makes there story very tragic. If this is what happens this will fundamentally alter how I look at these characters not just in this movie, but in the OT as well and in a very negative way. But to each there own.

15. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    -LordSkywalker-

If TFA doesn't "fundamentally alter how (we) look" at Luke, Leia and Han, I would say that it hasn't done it's job.

It is going to be three decades later - Han and Leia might be parents, Luke has the weight of the galaxy's future on his shoulders, years of war, etc.

16. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    But it's very human. It doesn't matter whether Luke is responsible or not, when something goes wrong, it's very natural for us to blame ourselves (particularly when it's something we built our lives around and have a personal connection to) or in the case of Han, to find blame in others in an attempt to bring closure to the situation. It doesn't make any side right or wrong, but it's certainly a plausible situation. In a sense, it makes these characters feel more 'real' to me - it gives them that human quality and illustrates that yes, they are flawed just like you and me.

17. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    That emoticon in the end doesn't help your case. And you said 'depressed' not I.

18. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Some people don't seem to understand that great drama needs conflict.

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  19. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    Not buying that, we don't need to see their characters fundamentally and drastically changed for the ST to tell an effective story. No that does not mean I'm against all character growth either....

it's showing how their(OT3) examples fundamentally change or do Not change the characters of Poe,Finn and Rey that should be the job of the ST.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  20. -LordSkywalker-

Aug 3, 2013
    You have misunderstood what I was saying. I was no way insinuating that they would not have changed at all over through 30 years. I guess in my unclear way I was trying to say that it would have me feeling negatively about the characters totally depressing turn over those 30 years. My vision of what occurred over those 30 years (while not exactly sunshine and rainbows) certainly would be a little less over-the-top destructive of their relationships from the OT then what has been presented in the the speculation surrounding these rumors.

Obviously the movie needs drama and conflict. But you can create that mostly through the new characters and the struggles and threats they face without totally and unforgivingly upending the relatiobships between the OT characters. Of course this is just my subjective view as is yours.

21. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

That sounds like zero character development.

And the Original characters are not just back to service the new heroes. Why would Abrams and Kasdan bother to increase their roles in the screenplay if that is all they were there for?

22. -LordSkywalker-

Aug 3, 2013
    Why does character development have to equal all horrible events? Couldn't the characters have grown in a positive fashion as well.

23. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Yes, I understood what you were saying - I accidentally deleted some of my comments when posting :p and my post would have made more sense. :)

I can't remember it exactly but it was about bearing in mind all the chatter of "recapturing the original spirit" and such.

That means there isn't going to be great darkness and tragedy like Anakin's fall, but more like the OT with the redemption of Anakin.

The.Chosen.One likes this.
  24. -LordSkywalker-

Aug 3, 2013
    Oh ok. I agree. I guess what I am saying is that couldn't these characters have faced challenges without winding up hating each other (or themselves in the case of the Luke speculation). Honestly I feel like this kind and level of conflict between the OT characters would detract from struggles and drama of the new characters. Again just my two cents.

25. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Yes, of course. My post doesn't mention "horrible events". What my comment means is that Luke, Leia, etc. are not just in the ST to serve the new heroes development.

I don't want Abrams and his team to overdo it with heavy, tragic events with everyone hating each other, etc.

And "fundamental change" doesn't just mean negative change, it can be positive. For example, Han in RotJ is the same but different to the Han from ANH. Now, put a child in in RotJ Han's arms and he is going to change again. He'll still be Han, but different. Same with Leia as Galactic President. And Luke as a Jedi teacher. Or whatever the three of them will be.

Absolutely, that is going too far, but as you said - that is speculation.

Part of what I'm saying is that it isn't worth worrying about because it just doesn't fit with the "recapturing the spirit" talk.

It won't be from and sombre.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.