main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Fly Guy, Nov 18, 2013.

?

How good will Mark Hamill's performance in episode 7 be?

1. He's going to be great

950 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. He'll do OK

145 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. He's going to stink it up

23 vote(s)
    2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014

Yes, the tech is much better now! And anyway, in the flashback the shot would probably be 2-3 seconds at most. Not 10 minutes of staring at it like X-Men. Big difference! Plus, think about what we know of the flashback right now? That shot from the teaser of Luke extending his hand to R2 is probably part of this brief sequence. It appears he's sitting next to a fire at night with lots of shadow. The shot of young Luke's downcast face could be seen through the flames or the smoke/embers from this fire, further obscuring the CG work to de-age Hamill. It's the perfect set up for this type of shot.

T-R-, darthmomm and Luke02 like this.
  2. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

Agreed. The flashbacks are going to be very short and like I said before, I don't think we will even see Mark's face....just his outline like in the teaser trailer.

darthmomm likes this.
  3. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    If some fans are more than happy for a young actor to play Luke Skywalker in a (still very much) rumoured 'flashback scene' who looks absolutely nothing like Mark Hamill then I'm pleased for them. But I'm certain I'm not alone in considering that something I would personally not accept for Star Wars. Ill fitting is an understatement.

4. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

So a 30 second flashback where you see someone other then Mark Hammil playing Luke (which most likely you cannot even see his face) will wreck Star Wars for you? :confused:

5. -LordSkywalker-

-LordSkywalker- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    I'm with you. I really hope that Hamill filmed the scene in the second trailer.

T-R-, nightangel, Jcuk and 1 other person like this.
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope he doesn't HAMM it up.

Sorry

7. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    I think that BTS image and the hand analysis, and Hamill's admission that he had to hide his costume from drones while going from his trailer to the set all but confirms that this is Hamill we are seeing in the second teaser touching R2. The questions then become:

1. Is this scene from the flashback?
    2. If yes, then is Hamill's face shown?
    3. If it is shown, is there CG applied?
    4. If it is not shown, does Abrams not show Luke's face at all?
    5. Or does Abrams have a younger actor portray just the face of young Luke (because we know the body is Hamill)?

T-R- likes this.
  8. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Then why have a different actor? You couldn't even see his face in the teaser! Lol.

9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Because confusion.

10. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

I agree starocean90

Nobody but Mark Hamill should ever play Luke. The flashback is likely only 10 years before TFA, which is 22 years after ROTJ; so no problem. :)

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I wonder where it'll be used in the film?

12. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    No re casts.

don't want to see any anthology movies with re casts in them either.

13. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Obi-wan, Anakin, Mon Mothma, and Tarkin have already been recast.

14. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    Because Abrams might want a brief glimpse of young Luke's face in this tragic moment instead of just the back of his hood [face_dunno]

Please tell me everyone here recognizes that a brief shot of a recast young Luke in a flashback is only a problem in the Nerd Rage sense, and nothing more. 99% of people watching the movie won't care one bit whether it's Hamill himself or a younger actor.

15. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    Oh come on you know what I mean, that's not even the same thing.....making a movie right before ANH and using a new Actor/actress for Han Solo or Princess Leia is the kind of stuff I hope they don't do

T-R-, nightangel and starocean90 like this.
  16. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    difference is they were recast to play younger after we saw the older versions, while this is the inverse we saw them young and it's a recast of them being young.[face_not_talking]

T-R-, Jcuk, Revanfan1 and 4 others like this.
  17. darthmomm

darthmomm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    Although- I could totally see Billy Dee Williams son play Lando in a scene or two

They look SO much alike

But, back to Mark ...

18. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Padme didn't age one bit in 10 years... [face_not_talking]

19. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    The Big three are sacred as well as:
    • Billy Dee Williams as Lando Calrissian
    • Anthony Daniels as C3PO
    • Peter Mayhew as Chewbacca
    • Ian Mcdairmid as Pals\Sidious
    However, on the other hand OT Vader was depicted by (3) actors - David Prowse, Sebastian Shaw and James Earl Jones.

T-R- likes this.
  20. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Don't forget Bob Anderson!

Plus of course Hayden Christensen.

Then all the other guys who donned the suit for pick-ups etc.

21. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002

Wow. Yeah, that is definitely the hand of Mark Hamill, but I was never in doubt that we were looking at Mark in the second teaser. The fingers are a match, even the lines in his palm match up, absolutely brilliant. I certainly believe if there is a flashback, which I don't think there is, then it will only be a few years and Mark without a beard could definitely play himself. The beard alone made Mark look far older anyway. Great work, though.

T-R- and Victorian Time Traveler like this.
  22. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    so will Luke find the Academy massacre and get so angry and out of fear of turning to the darkside he exiles himself and then when we meet him again decades later he's like the father from Mortis, he is both light and dark he is the balance between the 2. Kylo represents the son, the darkside and Rey represents the daughter the lightside. Funny thing it actually fits.:p

23. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    that is worst case scenario come true if that happens

24. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    MSW has only speculated that flashback Luke may be played by this younger actor. They have never said that with certainty. All they have said, with significant certainty, is that Luke Skywalker appears in a flashback scene, and at the end. If they end up wrong about that, you can feel free to question the completeness of their sources (which don't extend to re-shoots - at least not yet). But saying "see, that's Mark's hand, so MSW's wrong and they're silent about it!" is silly. It's important to separate what MSW speculates about, from what they say with certainty. In this case, you're referencing speculation.

I'm about 95% certain that's Mark Hamill's hand. If so, that's very exciting. I've always been deeply uncomfortable about another actor playing a post-ROTJ Luke Skywalker. Would be far too jarring.

25. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    That's a very similar dynamic to Frodo at the end of LOTR (especially the books). His experience was so traumatic, that he just couldn't fit in with normal society anymore (a phenomenon that has occurred throughout history with soldiers returning from battle, for example). I've always imagined post-ROTJ Luke this way, and would love if TFA explores it (with obviously more concrete motivations for him disappearing).

For ease of reference (and to clear up any misconceptions), here's exactly what MSW said about Boulter, in terms of their level of certainty:

Expressing uncertainty. The mark of a generally reliable rumor-monger. :)

DarthBreezy and nightangel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.