main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Fly Guy, Nov 18, 2013.

?

How good will Mark Hamill's performance in episode 7 be?

1. He's going to be great

950 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. He'll do OK

145 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. He's going to stink it up

23 vote(s)
    2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobShanti

RobShanti Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2009
    soul8lous had a brilliant prediction:

Rogue One is the mother of Domnhall Gleeson (son of Luke).

It's a stroke of tie-in marketing genius.

2. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    since Dom will die as the Tarkin like bad guy in TFA I doubt it. [face_sigh]

3. RobShanti

Jan 6, 2009
    He will? How do we know that?

4. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    MSW made it quite clear that Dom did terrible actions which makes it impossible to be Luke's son in TFA and he seems to die there.

5. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    MSW said that it "appears" as if he dies. Not for sure but it looks that way.

6. RobShanti

Jan 6, 2009
    Hrm.....

Thanks for that info. But I'm betting on it only "appears" that he dies. I bet Domnhall is Luke's son. And I bet Rogue One is Domnhall's mom. It's just too good a marketing tack for this to be otherwise.

7. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015

If that was the case, then they'd have cast a tall-ish redhead actress for the role. Instead they were circling 3 actress who were all brunettes. If by some chance (unlikely) that this Rogue One character is Luke's eventual wife, she's more likely the mother of Rey than Gleeson's character.

8. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Agreed. The Jedi are encouraged to love, but not marry. ;)

9. Solo-Skywalker

Solo-Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2014
    This exactly (I never put the two together) [face_thinking] and you know the funny thing... "this is canon" which means he obviously wasn't following the jedi code to a "T"; If he Skywalker has a love interest in "Aftermath" all bets are off [face_laugh]

nightangel likes this.
  10. Homesick-Moose

Homesick-Moose Jedi Padawan star 1

May 11, 2015
    There's an interview of Mark Hamill from around the time of either ANH or ESB, in which he states that Lucas had plans, at that time, to create a modern epic in film format. The classic epic style begins in the middle of the story (4, 5, 6), expands upon themes, characters, and background information (1, 2, 3), then resumes and concludes (7, 8, 9).

Just out of interest, and unrelated, here's an interview from the summer of 1977. I wonder who the other set of 3 actors were.

nightangel likes this.
  11. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    So...
    The galaxy is in turmoil and Luke travels to a far away planet and holds a contest to see who finds him first? :p

Force Smuggler and nightangel like this.
  12. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    But when you spend decades reading luke all over the place, you expect Luke

13. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Great! Plenty of books to offset your disappointment, then.

14. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    I don't get peoples issues with Mara. Mara and Luke are awesome in the votf and njo. Its just dark nest and lotf that screwed it up. Mara of ttt was even better. I love Mara and literally had tears when she died.

15. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    No because their not canon. Don't be patranizing

16. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Well, you seem to prefer what you got in the EU. I personally was hoping for a lot of Luke, but I think he'll be thematically significant. Isn't that good enough?

TK327 likes this.
  17. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
    Seems like this is consistent:

Hamell: “He talked about doing a VII, VIII, IX,” Hamill began. “You know when I first did this, it was four trilogies. 12 movies! And out on the desert, any time between setups… lots of free time. And George was talking about this whole thing. I said, ‘Why are you starting with IV, V and VI? It’s crazy.’ Lucas asked, how’d you like to be in Episode IX?’ Remember this is 1976. ‘When is that going to be?’ Lucas replied around ‘2011’. So I did the math and figured out how old I’d be. I said, ‘Well, what do you want me to do?’ He said, ‘You’ll just be like a cameo. You’ll be like Obi-Wan handing the lightsaber down to the next new hope. So I went, ‘Sure.’ But I thought he just realized that he’s going to be doing this for the rest of his life and he’d rather not do that.

http://www.nerdreport.com/2015/01/13/lucas-asked-hamill-30-years-ago-cameo-next-star-wars/

They're very kindly calling us legacy characters, which is a nice way of saying old-timers. But George I know sort of had that in his head. He later said, "Oh I was just--it was just idle chit-chat." But I remember sometime in North Africa in the first couple of weeks of production of the first Star Wars film, he said, "Hey, what would you think about coming back in Episode," I forget what it was, IX, X, XI, XII, "and you know doing a cameo and handing Excalibur down to the next new hope?" I remember saying, "When would this be?" Now mind you, this is the summer of '76. He goes, "Like 2011."

18. Toa Zaz

Toa Zaz Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2015
    Yeah, but point being, why on Earth should we be thinking "WTH" or be so disappointed with this movie? Why the hell when helming the most popular, beloved, and passionately regarded film franchise of all time didn't Abrams and co. actually try to give the fans what they want and not @#$% the bed (again after the prequels, too)?

JediMatteus likes this.
  19. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2014
    Abrams should not be giving the fans what they want. People tend to want different things. He and Kasdan should write the film exactly as they see fit. The second they begin bowing to fans is when the edge comes out of the writing and dissolves into predictable sloppiness. Luke appearing briefly but memorably at the end is a bold decision and should be an effective part of the new trilogy.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  20. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I think in some ways, the fans are absolutely the last people to want to listen to. What they need to concentrate on (and I think this sounds like what they are doing) is telling the story they believe is the best way to take things forwards. When we know what that story is, and see how they've executed it is when we can start to make a fair appraisal of it. And as has been said a thousand times before, we need to keep one eye on the fact that this is not just a story being told over one film, but a trilogy. Finally, while some fans will no doubt hate whatever is coming our way in December, so long as the rest of the film is good, mainstream audiences most likely won't give a fig in the sense the tribalists on here do. I still totally fail to see how Han dying is cause for upset either. This is not real life, it's drama - and last time I checked, SW has a history of characters we like getting bumped off. If Han's death is done well, I can see it going down as one of the most powerful in the saga. Same with Luke's appearance. It may be briefer (if true) than pretty much everyone had imagined or hoped for, but if they get it right, there's no reason why in the grander scheme of the saga it can't become a great moment. Especially if it tees thing up for a more developed role for Luke in 8 and 9. The main thing is when we know how the whole trilogy shakes down that Luke's Legacy is not just safeguarded, but enhanced, and I'm pretty sure that will turn out to be the case.

21. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I disagree, the best way to take things forward isn't Order 66 2.0 just to recreate the OT, so we have Luke as an updated Yoda, how is that the best way forward??? There still not that much in terms of + for what we know of Luke. I don't see Luke's legacy enhanced in the ST, all I see is his legacy being redeemed in the ST and mostly by other characters nothing more.[face_devil]

22. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    You're the one calling it Order 66 2.0. You're the one projecting this idea of them recreating the OT. You're the one who's decided Luke's legacy cannot be enhanced by the end of the ST.

I can't tell yet what the way forward they have taken is because I don't know how their vision for even TFA will play out. I'm saying have a little faith TPTB might know what they're doing in terms of a wider plan.

I'm saying listening to the fans, is not the way forward. For starters, there is no one way of pleasing everyone.

23. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    This is a great adventure, in'it. I must admit I'm having difficulty waiting for Episode VIII, it's title, it's returned and new cast. Think how that information will color our musings and spec. going forward. I was just wondering since Kylo is sitting in the cockpit of the Falcon, if we might not see him resolved in IX, sitting in Han's chair in the cockpit wearing old Han's vest. That would be a kick in the head. Probably not but just a pure 'for fun' idea. When it's all over we won't be able to do that anymore, so enjoy that now folks.

Artoo-Dion and Satipo like this.
  24. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I'm not the only one to call it that, it is what it is and just like your projecting something, I'm projecting something else.[face_devil]
    So you want to tell me another Jedi massacre, another exiled master, another "New Hope" reaching the exiled master another the Jedi are non existent they are a myth like just to make the force more mysterious again, that's all just to recreate the OT and to get Luke out of the picture.:p
    I don't see Luke's legacy being enhanced at all by the end of the ST if what is being currently said about Luke in VII is true.;)

I don't have faith in strangers, that's my thing.[face_devil]

so we shouldn't listen to the fan that is JJ.[face_mischief]

25. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I think when the film comes out, it will feel pretty different to the Order 66 2.0 you and others are discussing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.