main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Fly Guy, Nov 18, 2013.

?

How good will Mark Hamill's performance in episode 7 be?

1. He's going to be great

950 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. He'll do OK

145 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. He's going to stink it up

23 vote(s)
    2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    and why would it be frustrating to hear???o_O
    it's something almost everybody expected/wanted there to be until the Making rumors popped up.:)

nightangel likes this.
  2. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    It's not frustrating to hear on occasion. It's just frustrating to hear it constantly repeated. You have the right to say what you want, of course. But I also have the right to point out that the horse is dead, and has been dead for months!

3. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    so it would be time for a positive Luke rumor. [face_whistling]

4. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    IMO, all the Luke rumors have been positive so far. ;)

thejeditraitor likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    It's just like when Harry, Ron and Hermione return to Hogwarts in DH. The reunion in the Room of Requirement was amazing and heart-warming.
    Or when all of the remaining Starks will meet up in ASOIAF/GOT. Arya and Jon will meet again! They have to! Arya, Bran, Jon, Robb were all nearly reunited several different times but things popped up to not make it happen.
    Or when Jaina, Jacen, Anakin Solo and their friends all met up in a fan-fic preparing for the final battle.
    I'll probably come up with other options along the way.

6. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    so what??? never understood why people get annoyed when other repeat themselves, it's completely normal people do it in real life all the time nothing new.:)

PS none of the Luke rumors nor speculation have been either great or +.[face_not_talking]

7. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    I'm not sure if you are serious now? The whole fate of Luke is positive? [face_dunno]

obi_kenobi_24 and starocean90 like this.
  8. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    What I mean is that I like the rumored role he plays in the story (especially if it has a Fisher King edge to it), and I like that he sort of mysteriously hangs over the film, but we don't see him until the very end. I also love the idea of him on an isolated bit of rock in the ocean of an isolated planet, as a sort of cosmic Zen Master on a mountain. And I think the ending, based on how it reads, could end up being my favorite ending of all 7 saga films (though I'm someone who believes endings are not the strong points of the Star Wars films).

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  9. -LordSkywalker-

-LordSkywalker- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Still don't like the Luke rumors.
    Still am less excited for the movie because of them.
    Still reserving final judgment for seeing the movie.

10. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    Yes, but as it seems now with latest MSW report, the ending will be niece finds her uncle and sadly this ending is doing nothing to me. :(:rolleyes:

starocean90 likes this.
  11. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    What would really kill this movie is LK and JJ starting with list of scenes and characters they have to include. The proper approach is to start with the question, "What might have happened after 30 years and how might that story be made compelling?" You chase the logic of the story and the characters wherever it leads.

Thoughts such as "Wait, we need to have a reunion in here somewhere" lead to a kind of stilted artificiality. That's exactly what has to be avoided in order for this movie to succeed, and I applaud them for daring not to go the safe route of hitting these particular marks.

12. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I feel the same way, I'm not angry or depressed just less enthusiastic for the movie and I do think all all of this is a missed opportunity just to have Luke end up being Yoda 2.0 and I currently don't see anything + of Luke's supposed role but the final judgment is when the movie is out.:)

-LordSkywalker- and nightangel like this.
  13. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014

I'm very disappointed and by far less enthusiastic about the movie now, that the last chance of something positive for Luke is gone. I just have to face it, that this is not the continuation I hoped and expected. I don't look forward to Luke being a Yoda 2.0 and the ST being a Solo trilogy. [face_worried][face_sigh]:rolleyes:

14. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    how is it the solo trilogy now?

15. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Well, let's not forget: the first trilogy was Luke's..

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  16. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    nightangel: If that's what you and others are resigning yourselves to so be it. Yet, it seems such a waste to reject and toss away a beloved character on rumour.

17. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    how is saying Solo trilogy false??
    it's not an insult, it's true, your new "Kenobi" your new "Luke" your new "Vader" are all Solos in this case, it's still part of the Skywalker Saga but it's still basically a Solo Saga.;)

Solo-Skywalker and nightangel like this.
  18. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    it's one film.

19. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I don't get it you want to tell me the brother vs sister struggle with both Solo kids will only be in one film and not in VIII-IX, the focus is obviously on the Solo family if Rey/Ren are Solos for the entire trilogy not just VII. Just like the Skywalker father/son was the focus of the OT.;)

Solo-Skywalker and nightangel like this.
  20. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    i don't want to live on this planet anymore. how could anyone be so fickle?

jerellis1 and Artoo-Dion like this.
  21. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    I think George Lucas wanted to make a show like this about the Gungas once TPM finished. I can see it now with Jar Jar in the lead.

22. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    Okaaay, no need to exaggerate.
    where have I said I hate the Solos or that I'm against any Solo family focus???:confused:
    I have nothing against them I love Han/Leia but saying the ST is a Solo Saga is not an insult or something bad it's just an opinion, which I think is true.[face_dunno]

23. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    We all are somewhat fickle but declaring 'facts' or 'doom' or 'failure' without context really is jumping the gun and rather futile but eh.

24. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    It's still the Skywalker family saga, because they all came from Shmi. That's right, it's the Shmi Skywalker Saga.

Whether or not the Luke thing is even true is one thing, but let's say that it is. What ultimately matters is how these new characters connect and whether or not their story is a good one. I think we all accepted that the OT trio was taking a backseat for the new generation and that it was the right call. What we're not sold on is the lack of Luke/Han/Leia interaction with each other.

By the end of this movie, if Finn or Rey or Poe aren't resonating with us as cool new characters that stand on their own, it's not going to matter how much Mark Hamill is in the actual film. If TFA hinges entirely on how much Luke is in it, then there's some serious issues and the new trilogy is already doomed.

But I don't think it is. Everything I'm hearing about the movie sounds very positive and, even if Luke is only in one scene, his actions probably will impact the entire plot in some way, some how. Let's not forget that Luke is the only Jedi we know of and you just can't have a Star Wars movie without even one Jedi. So maybe Rey is Luke's proxy in some way, which is fine with me.

25. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I really think a lot of people here have the wrong idea regarding the creative process, as if any story you want to write you can make work by sheer force of will. Notions like, Luke deserves such-and-such make no sense to me for two reasons: 1) what Luke "deserves" has nothing to do with a good story and 2) how can a fictional character "deserve" anything in the first place?

Can one of the Luke fans explain your thinking to me? Because I don't get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.