main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Fly Guy, Nov 18, 2013.

?

How good will Mark Hamill's performance in episode 7 be?

1. He's going to be great

950 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. He'll do OK

145 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. He's going to stink it up

23 vote(s)
    2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

Will u stop making bs arguments? Where have I ever said "Luke Lives Happily Ever After"....I have no problem with adversity and challenges. Luke doing nothing for years after another Order 66 now that I have issues with. I dont think its consistent with Luke's Character and I dont think it effectively flows from the OT. Execution is King of course but I am not buying that or that its the only way we can drive forward the story.

2. -LordSkywalker-

-LordSkywalker- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    This is my main issue with the Luke rumors. I believe that almost the same story could be told without this contrivance to reset the galaxy to ANH position.

3. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Either way, how is any of this inconsistent with the "overarching themes"? ESB, for example, was in part about how life doesn't always go the way you planned once you step out into the real world. Maybe one of the themes of TFA will be that, as you get older, you need to embrace your role as a mentor to the next generation, even if that means watching them make the same mistakes you did, or carrying the burden of your own perceived failures.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    In esb they still has Luke in character, and told a good story. But Luke already had his test. Luke does not need the struggle for character dev. Luke should be Luke, and leave the development to Rey and Finn.

nightangel and ChildOfWinds like this.
  5. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    My main concern is that the filmmakers realize that the OT was the OT for a reason. Lucas may have thought up a prequel and sequel trilogy later on, but the OT story is the one he chose to tell first and foremost. If you're building a sequel trilogy on that, to not pay respect to what came before would be a huge disservice to that. A big problem with the PT is that it was all essentially backstory - it was the Robert's Rebellion of the series, which informs and gives layers to the main story but there's a reason why it wasn't the main story. A sequel should feel like a natural extension of what came before, not a reboot. Otherwise just do a reboot if you don't want to work within the confines of what was set up before.

6. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012

First, thanks a valid argument. Second, what do u think Star Wars "Themes" are?

My problem is this I think they just decided on an OT setting set 30 years later (roughly equivalent to real world time passed) and then forced characters into positions to fit the rough makeup that we had in the OT. This works fine for someone like Leia but for Luke.......

7. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    I was super bummed, after watching the prequels, that of the only two surviving good guys, one of them dies in ep 4 and the other isn't even IN episode 4. And he's only in ONE act in ep 5, even less in ep 6

AND...they both say around and did absolutely nothing for 20 years

JediMatteus and Artoo-Dion like this.
  8. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    difference is all 3 of the OT heroes survive and they were together as heroes the day was won. Whereas by the end of Episode III Anakin became evil and started to wreck havoc and Kenobi exiled himself to watch over Luke. The ST, Han/Leia are involved and have a good role but Luke is turned to Yoda 2.0, not really the same thing.;)

9. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Plus its a prequel so Lucas is locked in with their fates

10. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015

That's the fault of the prequels though.. we never needed to see Obi-Wan and Yoda as younger characters, that's something they decided to do later. As I said, it was all backstory to serve the OT and the development of Luke at the time.

11. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Isn't he more Obi-Wan 2.0...waiting until the time is right to train Rey?

starocean90 likes this.
  12. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    He is, but by "us fans" he means Han Solo/Harrison Ford fanboys and people who think Luke sucks.

13. Rookhelm

Sep 22, 2014
    Doesn't matter WHY Lucas did the prequels. Point is, there is precedence for these types of characters. I know a lot of people like Luke, but this is not Luke's movie, just like the OT was not obiwan's

14. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    The movie or the series?

Why can't TFA have something to say about the journey faced in late adulthood?

TK327 likes this.
  15. Rookhelm

Sep 22, 2014
    You mean by giving Luke 2 (or 3) movies and Han 1?

Doesn't compute

16. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    not really he seems more like Yoda, on some planet by himself, if he watched over Rey it would be like Yoda did through the force, the "New Hope/Luke" has to go and look for this Old Master to train her (just like Luke and Yoda). He was most likely the Grand Master or whatever title and he seems to exile himself after Order 66 2.0. All like Yoda.

nightangel and Solo-Skywalker like this.
  17. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Here's the thing though: if the MSW rumors are true, I don 't see this film as being what happened after thirty years. We still have a form of empire against rebels; there doesn't seem to be even a fledgling republic; and there was apparently a Jedi order that Luke started which has already been destroyed. There doesn't seem to be any progress which has taken place in over thirty years.

Then, add to that the fact that there may be a rift between Han and Leia and that Luke has been living all alone in exile for over ten years, despite the fact that the galaxy is a mess and there are darkside force users around that only he would be able to do something about at this time, and he's communing on an island mountaintop or whatever. None of it makes any sense, and none of it sounds like a very good or enjoyable or logical story to me. I can only hope that by some miracle, MSW is wrong, or I am pretty sure I am going to hate this movie.

18. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Again, as I have pointed out time and again, there is no guarantee that Luke will have a more substantial role in VIII or IX, and there is zero chance he will be the lead in either of them like Han is in TFA. Han's presence, emphasis, screentime and death in TFA and Harrison Ford's star power will easily overshadow the introductions of Rey, Finn and Poe and Kylo will be hated because he kills Han.

nightangel likes this.
  19. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Yoda was Obi-Wan 2.0 after Lucas had to figure out how to get around killing off his mentor figure before he could train Luke. Qui-Gon was Obi-Wan 3.0 after he made Anakin younger in TPM. So Luke will actually be Obi-Wan 4.0 beta release 1 in TFA. The full 4.0 RTM will be unveiled for Episode VIII.

hippie1kenobi likes this.
  20. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015

Except I'm not talking about WHY he did the prequels but the fact that he chose to use the prequel story as background information for the OT first and foremost. We all know that authors are always tempted to do prequels because fans think they want them, but there's always a reason why the prequel story isn't the main story.

21. Rookhelm

Sep 22, 2014
    Lot of assumin you're doing on a movie we know little about still

22. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015

Well, we have a 90% accurate detailed plot outline.

nightangel likes this.
  23. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Well, since they appear to be providing fan service in so many other ways: empire, rebels, x-wings, ties, AT-aT, stormtroopers, a Vader figure, a huge dose of Han Solo, the droids, etc., why would it be so terrible to devote a few minutes to having the big three back together again? People only seem to use that excuse when they aren't interested in seeing something in the film. Why not let the fans get a satisfied feeling after waiting over thirty years? I don't see how it would be detrimental to the movie. Sounds like a win to me.

24. Solo-Skywalker

Solo-Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2014
    [face_thinking]
    really do you believe all the rumors here in this social media forum? Seems a lot do which supposedly tells the whole movie

nightangel and Jcuk like this.
  25. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I honestly never ever liked the unoriginal idea of Luke being a Kenobi/Yoda 2.0 or him being anything like either of them, he showed time and again that he was his own man that followed his own path. To end up like them is nothing but wasted/missed opportunity. All the different possible path for the character and we end up with this been there done that path that doesn't put the character in good light if rumors are true and is pretty inconsistent with the character too.[face_devil]

I know I'll never get what I would have wanted to see in Luke in the ST or anything near it because of this rehash but I hope I can at least get something that's acceptable in my book for his character.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.