main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Fly Guy, Nov 18, 2013.

?

How good will Mark Hamill's performance in episode 7 be?

1. He's going to be great

950 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. He'll do OK

145 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. He's going to stink it up

23 vote(s)
    2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I hope it is traditional Jedi robes, or some variation thereof.

2. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    I don't get the Beard Drama. I thought that's what we all wanted. A Beard rockin, Jedi Master Luke Skywalker. I mean clean shaven?:

[​IMG]

Clean?

[​IMG]

BEARD!

3. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Sorry to be so pedantic, but I don't know that most people expect Luke to die in a mirror of the mentor death.

I've read some who do, of course; others who expect Luke to last until Episode IX and die more like Yoda than Ben. Still others expect Luke (and Leia, Han and all of the OT cast members) to simply fade into the background of the story, giving way narratively to the next-gen. Some even expect Luke to survive the ST outright.

But I will say this: There's a part of me that thinks that you're right and it's a very real possibility that, in a reversal of the 'mentor death,' one of the new characters will be sacrificed in Episode VII. I know some have said "Kill one of the new young characters? It'll never happen." But I don't see why it's such a particularly outrageous notion.

In fact, I'll go so far as to say I almost hope it does happen this way. It would certainly be a lot more welcome to me than having Luke join the Kenobi/Jinn, Dead Mentors club in the opening act of the new trilogy.

4. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    The new young trio of leads is expected to lead the charge for the entire ST.

If one of Luke's apprentice gets killed, it won't be a meaningful death for the moviegoer.

It would only be shocking for some SW fans.

As for me, I expect Luke to still be one of the only Jedi left at the beginning of Episode VII.

Immortiss likes this.
  5. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I'm pretty sure if they kill Luke off in Episode VII he'll still be in VIII and IX, given the fact by now Yoda/Anakin/Obi-Wan should have taught him the ability to return as a force ghost.

Immortiss likes this.
  6. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I agree. But there are more than three young actors, so I could conceivably see one of them sacrificed in VII.

Nonsense. Was Kenobi's death in ANH not "meaningful" for the moviegoer? Jinn's in TPM? Of course they were.

Make any new character engaging and their sacrifice impactful and their death will be as meaningful as any. It's already proven to be so.

7. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    Jinn's death was not meaningful for me as a moviegoer.

I remember saying that Jinn could have been a fantastic character if he had been through a 3 movies arc.

Killing an important character in the first movie of a trilogy is tricky.

8. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Ooh, really? I felt it!

I eventually grew to really, really embrace Ewan's Kenobi by the second and third pictures of the PT, but Qui-Gon may have been the only character I really felt much for the first time I saw TPM.

Watching Ben die in Star Wars as a kid was tougher, though.

Dak Oolron, T-R- and Revanfan1 like this.
  9. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    Well....I was 20 years old when TPM was released.......so asking me to be fully emotionally invested in a character that I only met in one movie (and as deep as TPM) was almost impossible.

As for Ben...I was 4 at that time.....so I only remember watching the death of Obi-Wan and knowing that he would come back in the next 2 movies.

10. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    It's because Jinn was the main character of Episode 1, the whole movie basically revolved around him.

Dak Oolron and T-R- like this.
  11. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    I thought of him more as filler until Obi Wan took over.

12. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    It would certainly be less predictable and ageist.

Luminous Beings Are We and T-R- like this.
  13. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    I think if Luke does die J.J and Mark could pull it off. When I saw Star Trek Into Darkness, Pike's death scene really hit me hard for some reason along with Kirk's death "I'm scared Spock" I'm not even a big fan of Star Trek but in those moments they had me, so I have no doubt that they could pull it off if Luke goes down it will be one of the most iconic scenes of the film, the trilogy and maybe even the whole saga

mattman8907 likes this.
  14. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    True but It's still doesn't change the fact that he was the lead of Episode 1 and you do realize that all the people who never watched the OT (like us) before the PT would not have known that Jinn, who obviously was filler, because we knew that Obi Wan taught Anakin, and not Jinn so Jinn obviously had to die. Its a good thing that the next trilogy is a sequel and not a prequel, so it should be a lot less predictable.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  15. Puke-Jaywalker

Puke-Jaywalker Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 18, 2004
    I really like the idea of Luke dying in IX Yoda style. Peacefully. Seems like he has earned that kind of death after saving the galaxy.

I'd like to see Han die in VIII as a mirror to his carbon freeze.

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I was thinking something along the same lines for Han.

T-R- likes this.
  17. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    :_|

18. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    Well...I really like the idea of Luke living...and by that I also mean for his role in the ST not to just be a cameo or a sort of bridge to authenticate this trilogy in the minds of the fans. Heck, if this entire installment revolved around him as the protagonist once again, I would have no complaints. Long live Luke! :p

19. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Wait, at 4 years old you knew there were 2 more movies and that Obi-Wan would come back in them? [face_thinking]

Dak Oolron likes this.
  20. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    As you can tell, English is not my native language.

I meant that I only "vaguely" remember watching ANH when it was first released.

I "vividly" remember watching the trilogy as a whole, years later.

Dak Oolron, T-R- and CairnsTony like this.
  21. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Frank_TJ_Mackey You do fine with the language. I am jealous of your multilingual skills. I want a second language!

Dak Oolron, T-R- and CairnsTony like this.
  22. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    I hear Klingon's easy to pick up ;)

23. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I'll second this. In all honesty, I didn't know that English wasn't your 1st language. Great job and I'm jealous as well. If you don't mind me asking, what is your native language?

TheBBP likes this.
  24. John R Pleak

John R Pleak Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2013
    I am confident that Mark Hamill can step into the role of an older, wiser Luke Skywalker without skipping a beat. He's been ready for almost 30 years...[face_hypnotized]

markdeez, VMeran, Revanfan1 and 4 others like this.
  25. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    I've got Luke living until episode 9 I mean come on he has to play the Yoda roll right? he is the most powerful jedi in the galaxy at this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.