main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Fly Guy, Nov 18, 2013.

?

How good will Mark Hamill's performance in episode 7 be?

1. He's going to be great

950 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. He'll do OK

145 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. He's going to stink it up

23 vote(s)
    2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Huh, that's true! Never thought of that [face_thinking]

2. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

Don't worry its a minor detail that will assuredly get overlooked.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Nah, that hand is way too old now to play Luke Skywalker's hand. De-aging or recasting is the way to go. :p

4. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I hear they are going with a CGI de-aged velociraptor's hand

TKT, Summers1913, Revanfan1 and 3 others like this.
  5. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    He'll wear a single black leather glove as a tribute to his father and also a reminder how over confidence is dangerous.

6. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    If he goes "ungloved" i don't have a problem with his bionic hand looking the same age as the real one. They obviously have artificial skin tech, they made it match his other hand at 20-something. I would expect him to go in every 5 or 10 years and get it altered to match. Walking around with one old hand and one young hand would just be weird

7. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

Yeah, I'm sure he can buy a newly aged hand at his nearest department store.

8. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Or the nearest Alliance medical facility.

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    What if he attaches a blaster or some lightsaber hook in place of his mechanical hand?

10. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    He can do a dance number wearing that.

[​IMG]

VMeran likes this.
  11. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I've said before that there's no good reason that Luke would not have had his hand repaired the next day, once his hangover from the celebration the night before wore off. And once that was done? Well, I guess I just figured he'd ditch the thing.

When Luke still wore that glove in the comics/book covers long after Endor, I always saw it as laziness on the part of the artists, just keeping the same look we last saw Luke with. And once we learned the new movies were coming, I figured that if Luke still had the glove in the ST, it would be because someone somewhere just screwed up and didn't stop to think that he wouldn't still have it.

But some member here on this forum (it may have even been you, TCF) opined that Luke could still wear the glove all these years later as a reminder both of where he'd been and where he (and the NJO) could still go. And you know what? That actually sounds very Luke-ish to me. The mechanical hand, itself, is the real reminder, of course, but I can buy the glove as symbolic, too.

If I had my druthers, I still think I'd have Master Luke go gloveless, but looking at things the way you have, I could go either way.

Something other than the glove that really is very important to me is that Mark wields a lightsaber which matches his hilt from ROTJ (only maybe quite a lot more weathered). I know it's the type of thing only a hardcore SW geek like myself (and most of us here, I bet) would really notice, let alone care about. But get that detail wrong, and I'll inevitably fume.

I even took a copy of the picture @Revanfan1's avatar comes from and edited the hilt in Mark's hand to look more like Luke's (instead of Qui-Gon's). The devil's in the details, folks! :p

12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Agreed. If Luke has a different hilt in the ST, I would be seriously peeved about it. I mean, I know that a lot of things can happen in 30 years, but there's no logical reason why he shouldn't have the same lightsaber. Even Obi-Wan had the same hilt from TPM to AOTC, and that was after that hilt fell down a shaft at the end of TPM (I think he should've had Qui-Gon's saber in AOTC, but that's a conversation for another time). They should have no problem replicating Luke's hilt from ROTJ to VII. I mean, they did Anakin's and Obi-Wan's okay from ANH to ROTS (despite some differences).

13. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Yep. Some cosmetic differences, like Obi-Wan's from III to IV and Anakin's between III, IV and V all had, are one thing.

But I have nightmare visions of Master Luke holding a green bladed saber, but with a hilt that looks like the saber he inherited from his father, just because that saber style might be considered more iconic, or something.

Do. Not. Want! [face_not_talking]

Edit: Oh, and I've mentioned this before elsewhere, but as far as Qui-Gon's saber goes, now that the EU has been de-canonized, I like to think Luke discovered Qui-Gon's green crystal hidden among Ben Kenobi's effects on Tatooine and incorporated it into Skywalker's new, ROTJ saber. :)

14. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Agreed. That was a mistake made in a few illustrations and it just made me wince.

15. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

How about this? He is wielding the new green bladed saber. During the climactic fight with the bad guys when it appears that he is going to be overpowered, he suddenly draws his old blue saber as well that he recovered from Cloud City between the trilogies. With two sabers drawn, he goes medieval on the enemy.

16. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    That I wouldn't mind. Just don't give him a green-bladed lightsaber with the old saber's hilt or something stupid like that. Or have his new hilt but with a blue blade. Or anything. Just the exact same saber he had in ROTJ.

17. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    One of the things I liked in the EU was that Luke wound up eventually recovering both his father's lightsaber from Cloud City and Obi-Wan's lightsaber from Darth Vader's effects.

I'd love to see both of these among Luke's collection. If this were to happen (and should Luke have any kids of his own), maybe we could see a scene where Luke passes Anakin's saber down to his son? I'd love that.

Or maybe these sabers (and any others which may have been recovered) could be displayed in a place of honor/infamy in a new Jedi Temple by the end of Episode IX? I think that would be a really nice touch.

VMeran, Immortiss and Revanfan1 like this.
  18. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

Obi-Wan's saber had probably the strangest journey. It was given to Anakin Solo and President Shinra(no wait, Overlord) used it against Luke. I'm not sure about Luke's old saber. I think it was in the hands of Mara and Ben at different times.

Displaying them is also a good idea. I am 100% positive that Vader's mask will be displayed. First, as a memento. And of course it is the most iconic image of the whole star wars saga.

19. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    That wasn't Obi-Wan's saber. Anakin Solo only had Obi-Wan's saber briefly. The one Shimrra used against Luke was Anakin Solo's own personal saber, which had a purple blade. The hilt was similar but they were not the same lightsaber.

Force Smuggler and Darth_Corvus like this.
  20. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Yeah, it all gets a little convoluted. :)

I was just happy that the NJO eventually had in their possession the two most iconic lightsabers from the Clone War era.

Revanfan1 and Darth_Corvus like this.
  21. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    Allright two fails. One for messing up the sabers and one for Shimrra. I was sure he was also called Shinra. Looks like I have been playing too much Final Fantasy. Ehhh who am I kidding? No such thing as too much Final Fantasy.

Trebor Sabreon and Revanfan1 like this.
  22. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I agree. I'm surprised he didn't keep it, especially after reading the novel and it stating that he would.

VMeran and Revanfan1 like this.
  23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Apparently the role of Luke's hand will be going to Tom Cruise. Here's the story on it:

HAHAHAHA YOU ACTUALLY CLICKED ON THIS?!

24. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Yes, because I wanted to see just how ridiculous the "story" would be.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The fact that two pages have been dedicated to the state of Luke's hand shows that we all need serious counseling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.