main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    This isn’t really so much a discussion any more as it is trench warfare, and I’m good and tired of it.

All the best y’all. To better days.

2. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    TRANSLATION: If you like this movie, then you're not as smart as I am.

Mr. Aurelius shakes his marble, white-eyed head.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Lost_Hope, TK327 and Satipo like this.
  3. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Why does Rey need to learn that? Where does Rey ever fail? She can’t learn from mistakes, because she never seems to make mistakes. Even leaving to try to bring Kylo back ended up causing something good: the end of snoke and the guys in red, and she got out easily and with no damage done to herself or anything else.

@Satipo, notice that rian says something about Luke following the gang around not being exciting? Who ever said that Luke needed to follow everyone or anyone around? Luke’s role should have been actually TRAINING Rey in the next film; not following folks around.

Then he could have gone off to some quiet place like Ahch-to or Dagobah or Tatooine, and spent most of the rest of his life training other Jedi. He wouldn’t have needed to be front and center in the action. that would have been the job of Rey and the new Jedi. I could see Luke working to get Jedi training right after his failure with his first group of students. That would have been real redemption for Luke, and would have left a Jedi master in the galaxy to start training immediately... something Rey is not going to be able to do for a while. Which means that other Jedi aren’t likely to be involved in films again for a long time.

I think Luke should have been left alive at the end of TLJ. Then, if the next filmmaker had a plan for Luke, he could still be available as a living, breathing Jedi. If not, he could have just been mentioned as being off on whatever planet, training a Jedi or two.

Luke really didn’t need to die because of using the force, especially since the trick was so similar to another technique used in the same film which didn’t harm the other characters. It was also like a technique used in the old EU, which also didn’t kill anyone.

Luke deserved to leave the Jedi legacy. It’s disappointing and annoying that this was taken from him. This film would have been far better received if Luke would have survived to rectify his mistakes.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    G-FETT, Star war, Rodie and 4 others like this.
  4. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Can you provide that quote, because it seems we are just getting your interpretation of it.

Either way I'm sure he meant temporal existence. In many ways Luke leveled up at the end of TLJ.

5. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    I spent a few minutes looking for it, but couldn't find it. Definitely remember reading it though. The no-spin quote as I remember it went something like:
    "Luke's Force projection sacrifice...that was kind of the ultimate end for him, for his character; there was no greater feat for him than that, so I felt like it was the right time to have his physical life end and send him to another plane."

My initial post was just me laughing at myself for being blunt :)

6. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Precisely! Well put. Rian should have left Luke there meditating on the rock and ALIVE. Then JJ can have Luke either alive (on or off the island) at the beginning of IX and throughout, or he can have him become one with the force early/midway through IX and still do something spectacular in spirit form in the final act. You can have your cake and eat it too.

It was too soon for Luke to die like that with one more movie left in the saga, and the mechanics of why he died from using the light side of the Force the way he did are too messy and plot-hole ridden.

And just because Luke is alive in IX doesn't mean he'd be following the younger heroes around He could be on his own side quest with R2, or just show up for the Act 3 battle, etc. So many options.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It will be interesting to see how she shapes her own Jedi Order in the future.

8. Star war

Star war Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 23, 2018
    I think their plan was always to kill off Luke.

Luke overshadowed Rey in every scene, he was in with her.

Luke's sacrifice in the end overshadowed Rey's lifting rocks moment.

Luke came out the hero in the end.

Before that Kylo overshadowed Rey.

Since they cant kill Kylo or who else will be there to carry the bad guy mantle, so they killed Luke.

One less character to overshadow Rey.

T-R- and {Quantum/MIDI} like this.
  9. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005

The sad thing is, I think this was Hamill's best performance as Luke Skywalker. Hamill was great. The material...not so much.

10. Star war

Jan 23, 2018
    She will read the text books and become a jedi herself.

Then she will make copies of it and distribute, so everyone can become a jedi like her, since its SO easy now a days.

The past jedi were wasting their time by training for years.

Rey's new jedi order will be the best just like her.

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    She will struggle mark my words. pun intended.

Satipo likes this.
  12. Star war

Jan 23, 2018
    I thought that way about TFA and TLJ, nothing of the sort happened.
    So.

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    This is literally it. What Luke did was amazing and inspirational on many levels, that's the point of it. And it worked! The bad guys are defeated (cuz they didn't destroy the Resistance). Luke is the spark. He won the war, basically. I mean, it hasn't been won yet but it's Star Wars, and the good guys will in, and that is all because of Luke Skywalker.

rorow1, DarthHass and Satipo like this.
  14. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    You are so right and the great irony of this. Mark's best performance.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    When are we ever going to a legitimate, non-bootleg gif of Luke taking a swig of green milk is what I want to know!

16. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    The bad guys are defeated? They dominate the galaxy, according to the movie. The only reason the Resistance is still alive is because Hux and Kylo are incompetent idiots.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Their defeat in the final act is that they don't snuff out the Resistance. This is all because of Luke Skywalker. And, spoiler alert, they're going to lose in Episode IX. So, ipso facto, Luke Skywalker won the war.

Satipo, MrElculver2424, TK327 and 3 others like this.
  18. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    The sad thing is that with the line "the rebellion is reborn today" Luke literally reset the status quo to how it was during the OT. :(

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I just love how Luke Skywalker saved the galaxy again, and I do like if you count his two big galaxy saving moments, blowing up the Death Star, redeeming Vader, and his Force projection, he becomes increasingly a Jedi Master powerful pacifist as he goes on. His moment on Crait has as much affect on the galaxy as his bits on Yavin and Endor.

themoth, MarcJordan, TK327 and 2 others like this.
  20. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    If that is case, Obi-Wan has done much more saving of the galaxy than Luke did in TLJ. He teaches Luke about the Force and the Jedi, helped everyone including non-Force believer Han Solo during their forced stay on the Death Star, deactivated the Tractor Beam, stalled Darth Vader to give Luke and the others to escape to the Falcon, and is visibly shown to guide Luke during his Trench Run on the Death Star.

I believe that a simple scene showing Rey struggling to lift the rocks and then have the voice of Luke guide her would have done so much to highlight Luke's impact upon the galaxy than any scene of Broom Boy and his action figures.

21. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    I wanted to point out something around Luke's death that I did like.

After he vanishes on the rock, and his cape floats away, it jumps to a moving shot of over the ocean looking toward the island, and during this clip, the music (binary sunset) continues. Listen closely. After the main theme of "binary sunset" ends with Luke vanishing, there is a little extra addition that keeps the music going. I thought that was a cool little thing by John Williams, perhaps to signal that Luke isn't done; that this is still going. Maybe it means nothing, I don't know. But that scene could've easily been quiet. He added a little extension onto the Binary Sunset theme, and I'll make the idea up in my mind that that is a metaphor for "Luke continues on" in some way.

22. Star war

Jan 23, 2018
    (Jamie Lannister voice) - The war is not won. ;)

T-R-, -LordSkywalker- and Shadao like this.
  23. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    It will be though. And without Luke's sacrifice, it wouldn't have been.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  24. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
    I swear I remember reading last year it being said in an interview that just because everyone,including Luke,assumed that it was his duty and destiny to rebuild the Jedi Order didn't mean that it actually was .

25. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    Right, passing on what you learn can mean a great deal of things. And while some, myself included, jumped straight to restarting the Jedi order, that isn't the only possible outcome. And it's not like he didn't try. He did begin to restart the Jedi order. But, as always in life, things went wrong. And it doesn't make him a loser, or a failure - he's one person with thousands of years of history on his shoulders. Things went wrong and there's not one person or thing to blame for it.

Luke briefly considered killing Ben after seeing what Ben would turn into - but he's not solely to blame for the fall of the order.
    Ben turned into a monster and killed the loyal students at Luke's training temple (and became space Hitler) - but he's not solely to blame for the fall of the order.
    Han and Leia (primarily Leia) were worried about the darkness in Ben, so they sent him away to train with Luke - but they're not solely to blame for the fall of the order or Ben's turn.
    Snoke was manipulating Ben from a very young age, slowly cementing Ben's faith in the dark side - but even Snoke isn't solely to blame for the fall of the order.

Things go wrong in life, and there's usually not one person to blame for the events that occur. They happen for a variety of different reasons and circumstances. What matters most is how people grow from those mistakes and move forward. This was a lesson that took Luke some time to learn, because he did feel solely responsible for what happened. And I'm pretty glad we got to see him learn that lesson on screen, when it mattered most for the Resistance, and the galaxy.

Satipo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.