main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Me neither. I mean, presumably he’s the same character, not a completely different with the same name played by the same actor :p

Satipo, nightangel and Gigoran Monk like this.
  2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    There's nothing wrong with our heroes experiencing setbacks. How they bounce back from those challenges will be the measure of them.

3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

I'd like to think that happens during the end of the 2nd act myself.

Demsa Aztor, Satipo and Gigoran Monk like this.
  4. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I'm going to guess...middle of the 3rd act.

Satipo likes this.
  5. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Stay tuned. :) In any case, I am glad Mark will have a good deal more to do.

Demsa Aztor likes this.
  6. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    And also Mark's words on Rian Johnson.

7. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Mark just told us what is the main theme of the ST arc.

PT=How Anakin became Vader arc
    OT=Skywalkers arc
    ST=Luke's redemption arc + new generation arc

For sure he will become old optimistic Luke by IX

8. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012

Yoda had a snake, may be Luke will have a reptile too?

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  9. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Luke will have a Porg, his own special pet Porg. :cool:

10. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    He's Porg Islandhopper, and he's here to rescue you

11. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Luke's opening line of TLJ: "Hey there, girl... wanna see my snake?"

12. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
  13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
  14. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    I've said this a million times as an answer to one thing or another, and I will use it again here: The Mouse didn't get to be The Mouse by leaving money on the table. If Luke's experiences between VI-VII weren't going to be addressed in media of some fashion, the Mark Hamill we know and love would be all-too willing to share it with us. This goes further than a conversation between Mark and Rian just for Mark's own information for his approach to the character. We are going to get these stories eventually, be it in a series of novels, a cartoon, comics or all of the above.

2Cleva and Satipo like this.
  15. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    "StarWars.com: So I know you can’t say too much about The Last Jedi, and I think we both would get in trouble if you did. But stepping back into a role for a character 30 years after the fact is a rare opportunity for an actor. I’m curious how you approached it in terms of going back to that place where you were, playing him so long ago, but then also having to update it for where Luke might be at now in The Last Jedi.

Mark Hamill: Okay, well, your job when you read a script is to figure out what is required of your character to make the screenplay as successful as it can be when it’s realized on film. What’s my role in the overall scope of things?

The problem here was that he’s had, like you say, the 30-plus years of history, which is never really spelled out. J.J. [Abrams in The Force Awakens] used the character, it was so ambiguous. I look back now and I say, “What else was he supposed to do?” I mean, here he has to come up with this whole new set of characters. He has to finish the Han Solo storyline. If he had to also include me, it would have been just laden with exposition. Better to shove Luke down the road and resolve his story later."

16. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Thanks for translating both of those, Harbour.

Master_Lok and JoJoPenelli like this.
  17. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Nice to get confirmation that we’ll get relevent Luke backstory aside from just Ben’s betrayal.

nightangel and 2Cleva like this.
  18. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Mark Hamill has said before that there's lots of Luke backstory that he needed to know but that it doesn't mean it's included in the movie. So he claims.

Mark Hamill, actor: (13:13) “You can get a lot of where they’re going from Episode VII from the sense that it’s really about a new generation of heroes and villains. And that we’re relegated more to the roles that, say. Sir Alec or Peter Cushing or any of the other subsidiary characters played. It’s not my story anymore. We had a beginning, middle, and an end. Now what’s interesting is that there is so much back history that Luke has gone through – even if they’re not gonna tell it in the story proper – I have to know it for myself what I’ve been up to. And so there’s been a lot of discussion with Rian Johnson – who is the new writer and director of VIII. Because really with VII, you know, he had a lot on his plate. He had to establish a whole new world, a whole new conflict, all these new characters, since Han Solo was going to meet a certain fate.” (March 2, 2016)

Mark Hamill: “In [Episode] VII, you discover Luke obviously is a hermit on this island and he’s…there’s so much unsaid about where he’s been and what he’s done. And actors like to write their own backstories, you know, you want to figure out what he’s done and where you’ve been. And, but I realized that wasn’t really important to the story of The Force Awakens. I still made [Luke’s backstory] up [for] myself and I tried to show it to J. J. [Abrams] and he, you know, was accommodating but basically patted me on the head and gave me a cookie and made me go away. Because, you know, whatever! Make it up! They allude to things that have happened and to a certain extent, you know, it’s not Luke’s story anymore, but I think he’s an important part of the overall arc of the [Star Wars] Saga and again, there’s a lot of mystery about him even within the film. So you have to fill in your own backstory. I’m sure there’ll be comic books and video games and novels that tell the story but so…” “Oh. Well, that’s good to hear [from Kathleen Kennedy that Luke has a significantly important role in The Last Jedi].” (Star Wars Celebration 2017 – The Last Jedi Panel – April 14, 2017)

Mark Hamill: “There’s massive amounts of backstory that is left to your imagination and I couldn’t do my job without figuring out what that was. Since it’s not really important to the main story as a whole a lot of it is just for my own process. I talked with Rian about it and went into this elaborate scenario of what happened to Luke after the end of the Return of the Jedi.” “I think he probably looks out on the horizon and wishes that he could be more effective, could be what Obi-Wan wanted him to be. But life is imperfect and without conflict there is no drama. Believe me, you’re going to see a lot of conflict in The Last Jedi. That is for sure.” (August 9, 2017)

Mark Hamill: “Absolutely [this feels like a different Luke to me]. Luke changed, I think, more than the other characters in the original trilogy, from callow farm boy to a Jedi in training to finally a Jedi master. What you’re talking about is what really fascinated me. Between ‘Return of the Jedi’ and ‘Force Awakens,’ there’s just decades of history that’s unknown. So I was wondering how they’re going to handle all this. Now, obviously, with ‘Force Awakens,’ J.J. [Abrams] had a full plate. It was inevitable that they would push me down the line. I was sorry I wasn’t able to work with any of the original actors again. But it’s not about us anymore. In this new one, I was saying to Rian Johnson: I need to know my backstory. It was kind of unclear. You read where he is now and what he’s doing now and sort of have to fill in the blanks for yourself. So I did do a backstory myself. It’s not about Luke anymore, so it’s not really important. But I had to make sense of it for myself. What Rian came up with, I was stunned.” “It is different [without Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher around]. She was irreplaceable. There can never be a proper reunion anymore. It’s tragic. I hate that it adds an air of melancholy to the film because it doesn’t deserve it. I know for a fact she would obviously want us to be having fun. She was all about laughter and enjoying the moment. We’re all sort of having this communal period of grief. In a way, it sort of reflects the movies themselves, which were about triumphs and tragedies. They are about a family — a dysfunctional family, but a family nonetheless.” (August 30, 2017)

Corellian Blue and Master_Lok like this.
  19. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Re: That last part about Luke not busting out the super Jedi moves, I'm not surprised.. I'm not expecting a redo of the Yoda fight scene from the prequels.

Satipo likes this.
  20. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I believe this is going to be the film I've been waiting for.

Demsa Aztor likes this.
  21. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002

22. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    [face_party] Happy Birthday PymParticles and Mark Hamill. [face_dancing]

Thanks for posting this interview. Very nice. :)

23. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    yeah Happy Birthday from me too and indeed a great interview. It seems to confirm that more bad thngs happened to Luke than we know. So some of our speculation confirmed. [face_dancing]

PymParticles likes this.
  24. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    This, (from the starwars.com interview) just makes me smile:

[face_love]

25. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    Yes, very lovely. [:D]

Master_Lok likes this.
Thread Status: