main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    Yeah I believe that Luke will have a somewhat significant role in the next movie. He'll have to deal with Snoke in all likelihood, and possibly Ben as well. However, I think Ben/Kylo's destination is fairly unclear at this point. It looks like he went off the deep end when he killed his father, but you never know how this will play out.

I thought it was interesting that Snoke seems to fear Luke. Since he (Snoke) is supposedly very powerful, this says a lot.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Luke will probably have as big a role as Han had in this movie.

I also think he'll be a "Yoda" to Rey. With the added twist he's her father. Which will be all mucho dramatic potential there.

But I also think Luke is gonna be all kinds of flat-out buggity boo crazy for the 1st half of the flick and Rey is gonna have to bring him back. Seeing R2 will probably help.

mattman8907 likes this.
  3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm surprised a few haven't learned from TFA and managing their expectations; generally surprised some still think Luke will be the main hero after the introduction of Rey.

4. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    That's exactly how I think it will happen too :D
    *6 Knights of Ren surround Leia and they're suddenly frozen*
    *Rey and Kylo stop their rematch as they sense a presence* Kylo : It can't be...
    *Snoke in his ship * NO !
    Luke : Step away from my sister.. *ignites lightsaber* :cool:

5. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    I am playing it safe this time:

He will appear in a 4 second wordless scene ..

6. sterling3763

sterling3763 Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I hear he actually speaks in this one.

7. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012

Snoke might not be a Knight of Ren, I guess Kylo's fellow apprentices are more powerful than the KoR we've seen in Rey's Force-vision.

mattman8907 likes this.
  8. Puke-Jaywalker

Puke-Jaywalker Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 18, 2004
    I had always hoped Luke might act like a crazy homeless person or something upon first meeting Rey...as a kind of test ala Yoda...but I guess that is out the window?

mattman8907 likes this.
  9. sterling3763

sterling3763 Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    His first words to Rey in Episode VII are in Shyriiwook.

10. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I was sceptical about Luke's cameo, but I think the acting was well. However, having watched TFA I don't believe they want to throw Luke under a bus in VIII and IX. The evidence is all over the place in the new canon.

Shortly after the Battle of Yavin, Luke discovered the Jedi Temple of Eedit on Devaron which also appeared in a TCW episode where it was raided by Darth Maul's brother Savage Oppress. Luke did some lightsaber training, had his first lightsaber battle there and vowed to return one day to Devaron.

Not long after, Luke discovered Old Ben's journal and decided to go to the Jedi temple on Coruscant. He failed because it's the Imperial Palace now, but he discovered on Nar Shaddaa many holocrons which were in the posession of Grakkus the Hutt.
    Then Luke visited another abandoned Jedi temple on Vrogas Vas. After the Battle of Endor, he returned to Devaron.

And now in TFA we had Han who said: "There were rumours Luke wanted to search for the First Jedi temple".

This finally convinced me that they are definitely setting something up with Luke's growing interest in Jedi temples in the new canon material which ties into VIII and IX. The First Jedi temple will play a huge role in the ST and Luke is important to that story. Remember also that Lucas' original plan for the ST was that Luke would discover the origins of Jedi and Sith, so maybe that is an idea they kept for their ST.

11. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Well. He's going to have a lot more screentime in Ep. VIII than in TFA.

12. Forcesensitive01

Forcesensitive01 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    This is my exact prediction. Luke has to have at least one fight and this would suit the film now that Luke is an established player in the plot.

13. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I kind of doubt that Kylo would have much of a chance against Luke, even with more training. Maybe if he spent many years training, but not right now. Heck Luke probably wouldn't even need a lightsaber to deal with him. Now Snoke, on the other hand, who knows what that guy is capable of.

mattman8907 and Prisic Duskleap like this.
  14. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    I'm not expecting Luke to have a big role in this film. I've learned to expect the worst-case scenarios for every single thing by now.

15. JeanNo

JeanNo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    That would be the awesomest bestest climax EVER!

16. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    I think it would be cool if the very first scene is Luke training Rey -- picking up right where we left off -- and the very first words we hear come from Luke himself.

And I agree with the above; when/if I see the ROTJ saber, I am going to be out of my seat.

17. JayDubya

JayDubya Jedi Master

Dec 30, 2006
    I was hoping Luke's first line when he pulled his hood down would be an Obi-Wanesque "Hello there". Maybe at the beginning of Episode VIII!

18. fuhry

fuhry Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 20, 2015
    Although there's a 'running away' aspect to Luke's exile, I think that what really happens is that Luke experiences a crisis in his understanding of the force and feels he is doing the galaxy more harm than good by attempting to train Jedi. I heard episode VII rumors which also suggested that he may have unleashed a great power unwittingly during his defense of his Jedi academy. Maybe he tapped into his darkness and anger when Ben betrayed him, and maybe caused some of the destruction himself. I think he is isolating himself because he feels that he is a danger to those around him. Now that Rey has found him, his faith may be restored, but he still may be reluctant to train her, per se. I do think that episode VIII is likely to deal with Luke and Rey on one mission, with Poe and Finn on the other (Probably to attack Hux and the First Order forces, they'll get captured, et cetera) They likely will meet at the end of the movie and will confront Kylo Ren and Snoke. Will Luke get killed? I don't think so - it's too predictable. I think Luke survives into episode IX, maybe dies in that one. I'm thinking like the way Arthur and his son kill each other in 'Excalibur' :)

mattman8907, S73, Algnosis and 3 others like this.
  19. Azpiri

Azpiri Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 20, 2015
    I wonder if they will pull a Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon on us. Luke gave up teaching, despondent from his failures with Ben. Already, we see that he's reluctant to pick up the mantle (of his own lightsaber, his father's lightsaber)... but maybe after witnessing Rey's display of the force, and how she truly gains power by demonstrating peace and patience, he regains hope - not only in himself, but in the galaxy.

20. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    Luke will most likely become like Qui-Gon to Obi-Wan or Yoda to Luke. A mentor, sometimes harsh, but fair, who will lead Rey's journey.
    More things will be revealed in 8 and 9. Possibly Rey will have to face the Dark Side and fails, or Luke sacrifices himself in order to bring her back into the light.
    I don't think there will be a Obi-Wan - Anakin kind of bro friendship, even if she turns out to be his daughter or niece.

mattman8907 and Big Boss like this.
  21. MasterMoolah

MasterMoolah Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 25, 2015
    I think Luke is going to try to rebuild the Jedi Order once again. He HAS to given the fact that it failed the first time. I think he trains both Rey and Finn. Still hoping they make Finn force sensitive to give his character some importance.

mattman8907 likes this.
  22. fuhry

fuhry Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 20, 2015
    In 'Empire', Yoda and Obi-wan scoffed at the notion that there was still good in Vader and thought Luke was heading for ruin. Interesting that it's pretty much what happened to Han Solo with Kylo Ren. Luke kind of proved them wrong in 'Jedi', so he never actually had to face killing his own father for the good of the galaxy. Can killing a member of your own family ever be the right thing to do? Luke's never had to do it. He could be bailed out by Rey taking care of Kylo Ren, but isn't that a copout? A Jedi needs to be able to make these choices, right? To pawn it off onto someone else and avoid it is to leave Luke's conflict unresolved.

It's so much easier to be a Sith than a Jedi. If you follow the dark side, you can forget about morality and just create order and control. A Jedi has to make all kinds of grey choices. Luke agreed to train Ben... and his decision cost the lives of innocent padawans. Luke still has much to learn. Maybe the story of the Skywalker family is that they are strong in the force, but can never truly be Jedi, can never truly be dark or light, but always conflicted, always in between.

I think Snoke will feel the ill-effects of trying to harness a Skywalker. I kind of like the idea of Rey not being a Skywalker, but a Kenobi, and putting an end to this by the end of Episode IX.

mattman8907 and Algnosis like this.
  23. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    I hear Snoke cut his tongue out so he has a robot voice now.

mattman8907 likes this.
  24. IG-13

IG-13 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 13, 2005
    Unless Snoke is Plagius, he is no match for Luke. Sorry.

I don't think Luke has it in him to destroy Kylo/Ben. Maybe he knows there is no saving Kylo and he left to avoid killing his nephew? Either way, Rey will have to face him. And I think in VIII, Kylo is going to be pretty powerful.

My hope is Luke has been training secret Jedi students and now Rey is the final student. They all fight the Knights of Ren at the end of VIII.

mattman8907 and Algnosis like this.
  25. Big Boss

Big Boss Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 16, 2015
    i agree with people needing to temper their head-canons/expectations for this ST especially in regards to Luke, however, everything in TFA and canon EU (like below) implies he's very much going to be more prominent in VIII, although you did use the word "main" hero, which obviously is going to be Rey. Luke will be a hero, but like everyone should be fully aware by now, the ST is going to be about handing the mantle over to our new generation of heroes (which was confirmed from the very start).

this ^
    in TFA alone, they had set Luke up to be very important to the story going forward. almost every important character referenced or used Luke's name directly. the bad guys are afraid of him and want him dead, the good guys need him, this only compounded upon since the destruction of (assumption) Coruscant/Corellia (the new republic regardless). there is now only the Resistance (and no doubt some smaller factions/supporters/loyalists) and they're completely outmatched, or so thats whats implied, with only Starkiller being destroyed (which Snoke really didnt seem too bothered about). With Han gone, Luke will head the OT fans' want to see VIII, yet ofc there will be the butthurt fans saying "well he wasnt in TFA all that much was he", which is a flawed argument to begin with. with the temples being a thing Luke seems to focusing on, this will likely be a focus in VIII as well. i think a large factor in what we get will be just where VIII introduces us in the timeline, will it be a year after TFA events, will it be a matter of months, or will it begin straight after TFA? it seemed like Rey was sent to retrieve Luke, more than actually seeking out him to be trained, at least thats my impression. Chewy and R2 didnt fly off, Leia was alluding to needing him back ASAP. depending on where abouts VIII opens is telling as to how present Luke will be and in what sort of capacity. lets not forget as well as being a Jedi, he was a killer pilot, who destroyed the Death Star. The Resistance need that sort of hope, so it could go one of two or both ways imo; Luke the hope and inspiration that the Resistance needs, while a separate sub plot happens or Luke the Jedi that seeks out the Temples for a larger reason/goal we are yet to really fully understand (while teaching Rey along the way), something to do with the balance of the force/stopping Snoke/Kylo OR both, intertwined.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.