main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    For a moment I thought Lord Nikon was talking to himself [face_laugh]

Lord Nikon likes this.
  2. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    Why would they redo a large portion of his arc from ESB and RotJ? Those movies were all about Luke not going down the same route as his dad, and he didnt. Im fine with Luke having some angst, but there is a lot more that they can do with the character than constantly having him play "avoid the dark side". Why do so many people think thats the only story line Jedi characters can have?

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  3. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    uh i still dont even 100 percent believe Rey WANTS to be trained. she used the Force at the end of TFA, but she by no means made it obvious she herself isnt still reluctant, so i hope they dont go that route.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  4. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Everyone has a breaking point at some point to how much they can take before it wears them down. Given Luke's actions abandoning his sister and friend, Han, for years makes me think that losing his Jedi Temple and all the children he trained via methods he taught his own nephew may have been Luke's after a lifetime of ups and downs. His hope for his father carried him through those dark times earlier. It's completely believable he'd handle this differently since he was the one training.

Darth Nikean likes this.
  5. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    Lol yeah that would just be dumb. we've been there, done that. i dont believe this is the route they will go regardless.

6. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Sometimes it seems like some fans here expect or want zero conflict or drama and for all the OT heroes to just be exactly the same as before and destroy everyone.

LUKE: Honey, I'm your dad!

REY: Wow, awesome! I've been looking for one!

LUKE: Well, here I am!

REY: Amazing! I was hoping to be trained by a Jedi but a dad Jedi? Well, that's even better!

LUKE: I know, right? Let's cue up the training montage music and get straight to work! Also, no problems up ahead for you because I'm here now. You already beat Kylo once and with my immediate training I'll make you even better quick. I can beat Snoke already so we're set. This will be easy.

(Luke and Rey beat Snoke and Kylo Ren 7 days later)

LUKE: Great job, Sunshine!

REY: Dad! My name's Rey!

LUKE: I know. Why do you think we called you that!

REY: But I spell it Rey. Not Ray.

LUKE: Well, that's wrong. Spell it the other way now.

REY: I will, Dad! This is amazing! You were exactly like you were in ROTJ with zero personal issues when I arrived, you told me who I was right away, trained me right after that, and by fighting together immediately we beat everyone pretty easily! I'm so happy! We have so much time left in this movie we can banter about the spelling of my name because everything else was so easy!

LUKE: I know! And we haven't even hit epsiode IX yet! In fact, there's an hour left to go in this one! Want to know your middle name? It's Padme.

REY: I love you Dad. So, what happens now?

LUKE: We keep doing what the fans want. We'll just keep doing saber duels for fun on the island and levitate some objects occasionally between cut always to Finn and Poe who are also having fun since everything is easy for all of us. None of us can die because that would mean we're being too grimdark. None of us can do anything similar to what has happened before because that would be too similar.

REY: Zero conflict is the best, Dad! And listening to the fans made this so easy!

LUKE: Look... Jar Jar!

(Jar Jar shows up on a ship)

Luke and Rey high five and then wink to the camera and Battle Puffins approach Jar Jar)

JAR JAR: Meesa got a bad feeling about dis!

7. sls062286

May 10, 2016
    So somehow having a daughter taken from you and not being able to watch her grow up and the suddenly appear years latter during a time of great perril and now you need to train her so that she can jump into the fray, while at the same time bonding.and getting to know each other, oh and add that to the guilt that she grew up as a virtual slave fighting to survive isnt drama or conflict? That doesn't even include whatever the deal is with her mother or how hes still fearling with his nephews betrayal and rhe death of his students who he probably greatly cared for too. Yeah no drama for Luke.

ChildOfWinds and starocean90 like this.
  8. Sable de luz

Sable de luz Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    yep. people seams to forget that our happy ending of ROTJ has been brought into pieces. Han and Leia failed as a couple, their offspring turned into a pshyco, luke became a failure as a jedi master, all his new pupils died... pretty ****** as a start point.

T-R-, ChildOfWinds and nightangel like this.
  9. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    If we're inside his mind perhaps it is. If he cries or aplogizes perhaps. Otherwise, it all just comes off like sunshine and unicorns. "Been waiting for you, Daughter! Sorry your life was hard. Let's get to this training!"

It has to be built up slowly to the happiness.

10. sls062286

May 10, 2016
    They are going to spend most.If not the entire movie together, alone on an island. I think there will be plenty of time for them both to deal with inner turmoil.

11. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I agree. I'm saying I think it's likely he's different from the happier Luke we last saw at the end of ROTJ and that this training doesn't happen immediately and that he's reluctant to train at first. If you agree that some or most of that seems plausible given the setup and storytelling in general then we agree more than disagree.

I'm mostly referring to those who won't accept anything beyond a Rey Skywalker reveal, Luke to be the same, for training to begin immediately and for the two of them to fight together with Luke also surviving. I'm sorry but when I read stuff like that I question whether an individual has ever read anything about storytelling at all. Where would the tension come from? Conflict and serious, believable obstacles getting in the way of what our protagonists want is the heart of almost every classic story. Anyone not expecting hardship, struggle and a different Luke at the start of VIII is fooling themselves. RJ didn't say the big question is "What's happening with Luke?" because he's exactly the same as before. He's changed.

titansupes likes this.
  12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, there is a reason the first thing she did upon seeing Luke was try to give him the lightsaber. She wants him to take it, take the burden of being the hero, and let him save the galaxy because she's still reluctant about this whole Force thing, I think.

burg2774 and Hydro spanner Celt like this.
  13. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    That happy ending still happened. Nothing can change that or their victory. However, did anyone really expect it to be sunshine and happy farts til their dying breath? Wheres the drama there? Just because your thirties were rife with drama and stress, doesn't change anything about the fact that your college days were awesome and you graduated top of the class after defeating the evil principal.

Star Wars has always used myth, fable, and fairy tale cliches as a basis and then proceeded to break those very cliches. The fact that Leia and Han didn't last together and may have been crap parents, or Kylo falling to the dark side, or Luke becoming isolated and alone is a great believable point for the next chapter in their lives to begin at. It's the starting point for them to grow and archive further victory.

titansupes and Ender_and_Bean like this.
  14. Sable de luz

Dec 18, 2015
    I expected things to fall down in the new movies, not everything being ****ed up since act 1.

15. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    it depends if we see a Luke who is out of character in the end. I mean struggle = yes, but not a 180° turn. :rolleyes:

starocean90 and Sable de luz like this.
  16. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Act 1 of the OT / EP 4:
    Anakin/Vader is a complete psychopath, is at his absolute darkness, is ruthless, kills men like no one's business.
    Obi-wan is a crazy Jedi Hermit, trying to protect Luke. (Man, I was really rooting for him to kill Vader sometime in the last 20 years, weird, He's such a failure)
    Luke's uncle and aunt are burnt to a crisp.
    Space-Gentlemen seeking famous Tatooine beer gets arm lightsabered off by crazy traitorous Jedi. (Man, I was really hoping Obi-wan would have killed Vader already, weird)
    The Empire ends the Imperial Senate, thus doing away with the last appearance of Republic Democracy.
    The Death Star is fully operational.
    The Empire then blows up an entire planet out of spite. (This is why Obi-wan really needed to kill Vader in the last 20 years, why was he just waiting on that desert rock)
    Leia's family dies.
    Obi-wan 'dies' / becomes one w/ the Force.
    A few rebel x-wingers die.
    1 million Imperials on the death star die.

You're right. Clearly there's no precedent for starting off a trilogy with things being dark.

Ender_and_Bean likes this.
  17. Sable de luz

Dec 18, 2015
    as dark as expected since what had happened in ep3. Whats your point? Everything followed the rute that was established at the end of ROTS. It fits.
    Until episode 7, the movies moved slighty from absolute light, to absolute darkness. EP 1 presented a wonderful lighty world that growed dark slowly while the three movies, ending ep 3 in the bottom. Ep 4 starts there, and slowly brings the light up to the shinny ep 6 ending.

I cant find the words to explain myself properly, but this is not what happened from 6 to 7, and thats why I feel its unsettling.

nightangel likes this.
  18. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    It would fit here if Luke remains distant for a time. He's been gone 6 years. He left his sister. His best friend. His droids. Chewbacca. Everyone. More than that... he's been completely off the grid. You can hear it in Han's voice. "Yeah, I knew Luke." Little did we know the two would never see each other again. Again at the hand of a man he trained. More that that, they think Luke has gone on this pilgrimage to the first Jedi temple (which they were right about).

You don't commit to all that and drop it immediately. You don't suffer through all that and sit in isolation and not experience change. He's probably even going to throw her off a bit by literally talking to the Convorees shortly after she arrives. Every aspect of this trilogy is designed to find the sweet spot between entertaining new, younger fans (who haven't watched the OT but simply know of Luke from pop culture or through the knowledge from watching the prequels as kids that he's the son of Luke) and older fans like many of us. And, yes, you'd probably be surprised at how many people young quit Star Wars after the prequels ended simply because they watch movies in theaters in 3D and couldn't care less about classic older movies unless they're on the path toward becoming young cinephiles. I have tons of friends whose son's favorite Star Wars movies prior to TFA and RO were the prequels and whose dads had to all but Force them to watch the older ones. There's a ton of teenagers like that right now getting back into Star Wars via the ST. If Luke seems a little reluctant, or grouchy or cooky (from talking to the Convorees like Gandalph did butterflies) it will simply serve the story and be a hurdle for Rey (their hero) to overcome. For us, the depiction will be meant to be a realistic depiction of where he's at after all he's been through. Just as seeing Han and Leia in their retirement years was.

Honestly, I think a lot of fans should count their lucky stars they didn't write Luke as going totally crazy and turning to the Dark Side because seeing that would have hurt. It doesn't sound like that's coming. However, I can absolutely understand Luke being very different than the happy young man we last saw in ROTJ reunited with his friends and celebrating a huge victory.

And as DarkGingerJedi said, none of this negates the victories and the very real happiness they all were able to enjoy. That happened and they smiled and partied and enjoyed it all. For many, many years things were good. The universe continues. Decades go by. Our heroes enjoyed the good times when they were there because they know... just as we all know deep down... darkness could come calling at any time. Here it is again. How will they react one final time? We are about to find out.

Based on the Fisher tragedy I think that Luke's chances of surviving this new ordeal and living happier goes waaaaay up. But who knows?

Demsa Aztor likes this.
  19. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    Not sure if Obi-Wan or Luke. :cool:
    [​IMG]

Revanfan1 likes this.
  20. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    Do we think a New Jedi Order/Council will be established by the end of Episode IX? If so, who will be the Jedi?

Luke?
    Rey?
    Finn?
    Ben Solo?

21. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    hmmm, so far only Luke and Rey seem to be possible. I think Finn is not force sensitive and Ben can never become a Jedi after what he has done, so....[face_dunno]

Avalanche19 and Sable de luz like this.
  22. Sable de luz

Dec 18, 2015
    Luke, obi wans and yodas ghost.

Anakins ghost might sit on the counsel but he wont have a vote nor the rank of master. :p

23. titansupes

titansupes Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2013

[​IMG]

24. Darth Nikean

Darth Nikean Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 30, 2016
    Why

25. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Obi-Wan. He's holding both Jinn's and Anakin's lightsabers

Revanfan1, Master_Lok and nightangel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.