main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015

Yeah, I was, thanks for noticing.

I don't want Luke to be overpowered demigod who can take out anyone or anything without breaking a sweat, however I always did saw Luke post-ROTJ as one of the most powerful Force beings that ever lived. And if you go with the post-ROTJ Legends canon, this is pretty much how he was portrayed in it.

Luke is the son of Anakin, the guy with the highest midi-chlorian count ever (and yes, midi-chlorians are still a thing and I hope they will be mentioned in the ST :p), so if midi-chlorian count is something that is passed down genetically, Luke should have one of the highest midi-chlorian counts ever as well (which is what Legends went with), ergo he should have greater Force potential than either Yoda or Palpatine.

Now the question is if he ever achieved this potential through training and study? In my opinion, yes. People should remember that Luke went into exile only circa 5 years before TFA (based on Bloodlines novel), so he had 25 years post-ROTJ to train, gather Jedi artefacts and knowledge, and train the next generation of Jedi, which we know he did. Which also means that yes, Luke was rebuilding the Jedi Order and he did want Jedi to continue. He probably did change lots of things, thou many of them probably because of lack of knowledge of the old Jedi Order and not because he didn't like them.

TFA and the TLJ trailer give the impression that Luke spent the last 30 years stranded on some island brooding and depressed, when in reality, he was there only for few years max (and the island apparently isn't even that deserted).

2. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Exactly.

3. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I don't think balance is something that can be permanently estsblished. At least, what would prevent another Dark Sider from gaining power years later?

themoth likes this.
  4. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    So now JJ gets to actually direct Mark fully. And not just intense staring.

I wonder how that's going to go.

5. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Thats what I said a few posts earlier

6. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    My misunderstanding, then :)

7. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I wonder if Mark regrets his snarky comments about JJ now. I expect him to tweet some fawning tweet soon kissing up so his character isn't killed off in the first seconds of E9.

8. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    What snarky comments?

Oh no no - Mark ticks JJ off enough and all his Ep 9 lines will be cut ;)

Dra--- likes this.
  9. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012

Saying JJ is sadistic for making him lose weight for E7 and then not using him in an action sequence. Poor Mark!

He's also suggested continuously that JJ somehow misused him in E7.

Mark shouldn't have assumed he'd never work with JJ again. Maybe JJ will force him to wear an especially unflattering tunic. ;)

10. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    J.J. is great with characters so I am excited to see what he can do with Mark :)

11. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    1 Minute cameo of Luke in 9 confirmed now

12. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Maker willing a hell of a lot better than VII for Luke, Finn and all of the characters/story.

13. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012

What about Luke's in the whole movie but is never allowed to speak? ;)

Darth Smurf and oncafar like this.
  14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    [​IMG]

15. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Nothing Mark Hamill has said would have burned any bridges, nor was any of it uncharacteristically angry or serious. I have no doubt whatsoever that the things Mark has publicly said about JJ are things that Mark has already spoken about with JJ anyway. They're adults. I expect JJ Abrams isnt silly enough to think that sidelining Luke for an entire movie would not be commented on, nor that mark wouldnt joke about losing ****loads of weight for a ten second cameo

T-R- and Chained Prometheus like this.
  16. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    you mean 1 minute force ghost cameo?[face_plain]

Darth Smurf and GregMcP like this.
  17. NHB0M

NHB0M Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2016

Not again...

18. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    We have VIII to Luke forward to, so I am focusing on that. I cried over split blue milk for five minutes and am over it until such time (hopefully completely over it. My memory is thankfully not like an elephant when it comes to Disney Star Wars.)

19. Mister Bones

Mister Bones Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2016
    I think you misread Mark's tone. Massively.

20. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    That first one sounds like Mark was joking. It feels like a joke that he might make.

And the second is just him giving an opinion. He doesn't have to be 100% satisfied with how he was used by JJ just because JJ chose to use him that way. But it's not like he said that JJ was a hack, or that he never wanted to work with him again, or anything like that. Nor does JJ seem thin-skinned enough to hold it against Mark.

Basically much ado about nothing imo.

21. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Yeah. Mark even said in an interview that he didn't really "get"the final TFA scene until he saw the final product.

22. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    is it just me, or does it seem people misreading Dra--- 's tone? lol

Ben-Solo and Dra--- like this.
  23. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Hey, we're supposed to make those jokes to tease you!

Darth Smurf, cerealbox and nightangel like this.
  24. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Definitely not happy about JJ directing episode ix. He didn't know what to do with Luke, so he just gave him a cameo in TFA. I can't imagine that he now has some brilliant idea about what to do with Luke for the new film, and he certainly isn't going to take a chance that Luke might take any spotlight from Rey, so I very much fear that if Luke survives TLJ, that Abrams will have him killed off early in episode ix. I doubt that Abrams will care if Luke dies without a legacy. I am very disappointed about JJ being the director of ix for many reasons, but Luke is definitely one of those reasons. I don't see JJ giving Luke a good role or a good ending to his story. :( JJ is probably the worst choice they could have made, in my opinion. I actually think I would have preferred giving trevorrow a chance than giving this film to JJ. I already know that I didn't like what I got from JJ in TFA, so I am not likely to like what I get from him in ix either. JJ doesn't seem to know how to end anything, so it seems like he's not the best choice to end the skywalker saga, in my opinion.

T-R- and nightangel like this.
  25. Mister Bones

Mister Bones Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2016
    Here's to hoping all your fears are unfounded in the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.