main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Me neither. I’d like a demonstration of why Snoke is scared to death of Luke, but otherwise I’m more interested in his emotional arc.

The Regular Mustache and Dra--- like this.
  2. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    Agreed not that big deal with Luke. His personality and motivations are what is important. Kenobi, lighting up that blue lightsaber with Ewn McGregor, in the desert in that movie. Now that will be something. He is a swordfighter.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  3. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Not in the films. In the films it's been more about his humanity and using that in the face of defeat to change his enemies hearts. We see that in ESB and in ROTJ.

In Legends, however, they started representing him as a great warrior, and even a god like figure at times, and those fans crave that representation -- not to mention non-Legend fans in general find KICKING BUTT more compelling than goodness in the face of defeat.

It's a paradox in a way: this is an action genre, and yet its greatest hero's most important victories were achieved with non-violent acts.

4. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Well, to be completely honest, I want Luke's robot hand to be able to turn 360° and him using his lightsaber to fly like a helicopter. That alone would be worth the ticket price.

oncafar and Dra--- like this.
  5. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm thinking we'll get a demonstration of force that will make clear how far he's come since RotJ, but I don't think it will be in the form of PT sword ballet. I'd love to see the saber ignited, given the right circumstances that could be one of the more powerful dramatic moments in the film.

6. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Just got a bluray edition of Tron collection and watched both movies for the first time again after quite some time. Hmmm, wonder if some of the 'legacy' backstory is similar to the ST backstory. [face_thinking]

T-R- likes this.
  7. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I'm all for Luke, erm... 'igniting the green' at some point in the ST.

Is such a scene a prerequisite to telling a compelling, dramatic story? Well, no. Of course not. But then, it's not really an either/or proposition, either.

Provided there's no 'rule' in place at Lucasfilm which says only the new guard are allowed such a thing (in which case, I don't understand the world anymore and all bets are off), there's no story I can think of wherein the portrayal of a thoughtful, spiritual and wise Master Luke must, by its nature, also preclude an action scene featuring Skywalker flexing his lightsaber muscles a bit.

Given the appropriate buildup/context, a scene where Luke takes up the weapon of a Jedi again after a long period of disavowing such methods might be eminently rewarding.

Hell, I say have some guts and go for it. And if some people complain after the fact that it was only good for a fanservice-y visceral thrill? I guess I'd ask, "Well, where's the harm in that?" [face_dunno]

8. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    exactly, Obi-Wan used the lightsaber more than Luke in ANH, so what problem could it cause, if Luke as now the Jedi master uses it in TLJ? [face_dunno]

Revanfan1, ChildOfWinds and T-R- like this.
  9. Darphus_Mon

Darphus_Mon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 23, 2003

I understand your point and partially agree. There are a few tropey things going on in the ST I wished were different. But what if, in this case, it's not so much the whipped snapper inspiring the old man to pick the sword back up, but power of the Force speaking to Luke? This is where Rey being Luke's daughter would've been fascinating. The idea that either Rey was lost, purposely hidden or [gasp] not wanted and, yet, she still shows up at his doorstep...and with his dad's lightsaber? That's a pretty powerful statement about faith, destiny, the will of the Force, etc. But in what seems to be reality, the Force seemingly brought these two powerful people together. If anything inspires Luke it's the force, with Rey as the messenger, pleading with Luke to help bring balance once again.

oncafar likes this.
  10. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I'll be disappointed. I've waited since 83 to see him in action again. Combine that with the Vader RO scene, jj/lk discussing the 1st scene they wrote was Han and Chewie on the Falcon because that was on their list of must haves, and I'll be disappointed if Luke isn't given his must have moment

Jaxxon-, ChildOfWinds and nightangel like this.
  11. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Honestly, I don't care if he does or not. I don't really understand people's obsession with this. Luke was never defined as somebody who goes around hacking people with his saber; it's not some essential part of who he is, and his technique with a saber has never been particularly good anyway. It's not even something we saw Yoda training him to do. Besides, after seeing sabers in every SW movie since 1977, it's not something that still makes me sit up and say, "Ooohhh... glowy sword! Cool!!"

12. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    luke did a lot of hacking at the beginning of rotj...

Jaxxon- and T-R- like this.
  13. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Where is the quote about that being the first scene they wrote? I'd be very surprised if that's accurate.

Ben-Solo likes this.
  14. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I can't find the exact quote right now, but here is a similar one:

According to Kasdan, the Falcon’s entrance was one of the very first and most important things he and J.J. Abrams worked on. When they started their draft “there were certain absolute must-have things. For no reason. From nobody’s dictation except our own.” Prompted for an example, Kasdan said, “We knew there had to be a moment when you first saw the Falcon. That all these moments would have enormous resonance for people who cared about this thing. . . . If it’s been a part of your life then every one of those moments will have enormous weight and you don’t want to throw them away.”

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/12/star-wars-force-awakens-who-are-reys-parents

15. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    it seems that was referring to the falcon scene on jakku and the first reveal of it (on jakku). i couldn't find where it said specifically that the han and chewie in the falcon scene was the first they wrote. ?

i remember i found the pan to the falcon in the junkyard really cool because here it is amid the other junk on jakku but the fans know its history while rey and finn don't (or at least don't know that ship is the MF). i found the scene more meaningful than the "we're home" when han and chewie arrived for some reason.

Ben-Solo and Satipo like this.
  16. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Wouldn't Luke's "must have moment" be reuniting with his daughter?

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  17. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Yes.

18. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    That is one of them

19. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    If Luke is resistant to joining the Resistance I'm wondering is it's because he thinks they'll be able to stop the First Order without his help or does he think the Resistance is doomed and that not even his help will be able to stop the First Order?

20. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Or maybe he thinks he has to find something before he leaves or everything will go to sith again or something.

21. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Like an infinity gem!

22. Mister Bones

Mister Bones Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2016
    What daughter ??

23. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Yeah, I don't want to see Luke ignite his old lightsaber. I would rather have him be beyond it and fight in other ways. Almost like how the Emperor thought the lightsaber was a joke. A toy.

Let the lightsaber fighting go the the 'knights'. Luke has higher level battles to deal with.

24. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Ah, I thought you meant the Han and Chewie scene was the first one they wrote.

Well, we know JJ has his original list of things he came up with but thought would have to be saved until further down the line. I wonder if RJ got to some of them first, or changed the direction of the story so that they might no longer be in play, or if some of them remain on the "to do" list - along with new ideas now he's seen what RJ has come up with, no doubt.

25. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.