main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bazookaleffe

Bazookaleffe Jedi Master star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    I'm sure this has been discussed in this thread before but I just want to point it out again.
    I believe there is something about the realationship between Luke and Snoke that will "shock" the audience. Are they former friends, like Anakin and Obi-Wan was?
    I'm not sure what it will be, but I'm convinced it's part of the puzzle.
    We know Leia was aware of Snoke's potential influence on Ben.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Luke expelled all of his Dark Side outside of himself and it took on a physical form which he named Snoke.

3. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    It looks to me like he has bigger ties to Leia than Luke. He even calls her by her first name in the novelization of TFA.

4. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001

...which some have theorized might mirror the "Barish Vow" we learn about ti the latest Darth Vader series. A Jedi need not go dark / evil to be considered having lost their way -- maybe they will Ret-Con Dooku as having indicated he would be taking the Barish Vow.

I see your post as being 1 of several more than likely actual plots we finally see on December 15th on screen

5. episodenone

Jun 13, 2001

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Oops - sorry for double post - I thought the board would have not let me post again unless enough time had passed

6. Ullianos

Ullianos Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    Does that mean Rey's gonna have most of her limbs broken and will have to use the force to propel her whole body with one arm and punch a hole through Snoke which makes him explode for some reason?

Sorry just reminded me of Dragonball.

Anyway seeing Luke in tears just makes me wanna punch someone in the gonads. Mark Hamill is just killing it.

7. Tiberius.Ogden

Tiberius.Ogden Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 6, 2016
  8. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I don't like the old EU Luke much, either. It's looking like 3-6 will be all I accept with him.

9. BloodStripe

BloodStripe Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 16, 1999

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/george-lucas-and-the-cult-of-darth-vader-20050602

* except, apparently, the OT3, who lived happily ever after, being awesome, the end.

10. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    There are tears in Luke's eyes when Rey says, "Kylo failed you, I won't." Ben Solo broke Luke's heart. :(

11. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    They don’t appear to be sequential shots. Rey is looking up, but Luke isn’t looking down.

Still, I think the implication is there.

nightangel likes this.
  12. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I don't think it matters. Luke is broken over what happened with Ben. I think that this is the campfire scene after Rey confesses that she needs someone to show her her place in all of this. She may not have said that to Luke, but he is near. They converse and Luke's pain comes out. This may be the first time he hadn't just been grumpy and dismissive. Rey knows how much he probably hurts. She's talked to Leia. She saw Kylo murder Han. She understands. And so she is trying to assure him of the path that will help them both: if he helps her, she will not fail him as Ben did.

11-4D, Darphus_Mon, Satipo and 2 others like this.
  13. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    He lost the will to go on and searched for a cave to die. Everything you worked for destroyed by a person you love who then turns on you

Darth Nikean and nightangel like this.
  14. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I wonder if this will play out somehow why Luke did not go Obi-Wan style against Kylo and that family means everything to him, despite being so much hurt by first his father and then again by his nephew. Maybe it will be a path to the resultion of this family conflict as well, even if it took longer.

oncafar likes this.
  15. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I don't think he was going to try to kill his own nephew. He loves him. My impression was that Luke's recollections of Vader/Anakin were positive. He saved his father! It fills him with faith and hope. But he couldn't save his nephew and it destroys him.

I still personally think Luke has been trying to find an answer. I don't think he has entirely given up. He chose the 1st Jedi temple for a reason IMO.

Jedi Merkurian , 11-4D and nightangel like this.
  16. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    Let's see what TLJ has in store for us first, shall we?

17. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016

Yeah, pretty sure that'd be considered clinical depression.

18. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    If Luke really is wrapped up in how he couldn't save his nephew, maybe that is the problem. That keeps him from dealing with all the pain from his nephew turning on him. That would hurt so bad. And Rey's POV will only be that (someone he loved - family - turned on him and betrayed him and it broke his heart). So she would confront him with it.

And perhaps what Rey herself hasn't faced is that her family turned on and betrayed her in the sense that they abandoned her. (And that would hurt so bad.)

Darth Gummybear likes this.
  19. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Kylo feels abandoned. Rey feels abandoned.

But Kylo wasn’t actually abandoned. His family loves him and wants him back.

Maybe the same is true for Rey.

20. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    If Luke couldn’t kill his father, and the thought of his sister turning almost turned him to the dark side, I’m not surprised if he is shattered after his nephew fell to the dark side. And if Kylo played on Luke’s compassion, I’m also not surprised if Luke was unable to kill him and stop him. It makes sense to me that Luke has lost his confidence in some ways. This is worse than anything he faced in the OT. He blames himself.

21. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    I can see that, but what if there was something that Luke did to push Ben further away before the betrayal? Casting all the blame on Kylo seems a little to convient and to not look at the Ben (that is his name before he took another master), and Luke relationship as a poosible factor I believe would be a major oversight. There will be a day of reckoning between Luke and Leia/Kylo; what the full backstory is/was will not be so straight-forward

22. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I think the truth about Vader being hidden will be part of it. And clearly Snoke played a part in exploiting Ben’s grievances and fears. But I suspect the blame will largely still fall on him.

23. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Is it weird that Rey says "Kylo failed you" to Luke instead of "Ben failed you"? It's like she's sticking it to him.

24. episodenone

Jun 13, 2001

Sticking it to him... no -- that would be weird.

But the choice of names is certainly something I noted as well. I imagine the whole "once you go down the dark side path forever it will dominate your destiny" is going to be re-visited and discussed.

Surely at some point Ben will have an opportunity at redemption and Luke will have to consider it a possibility. THAT said - Yoda might have had personal experience and knowledge that in general, there was no return to the light. So the odds might still be heavily against any more redemption's regardless of whether Luke hopes Ben can be or not.

25. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    It just seems that using Kylo instead of Ben is a stronger statement to Luke. She seems to basically be saying "I can handle it!" in a very defensive way, like an angry teen. So Kylo from that approach makes sense, whereas using Ben would be less confrontational and more sympathetic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.