main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Right, broken failure. And your contributions to this form are an example of wholesale success.

Dra--- likes this.
  2. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I'm talkin *general* idea, here.

His view of the concept of the final leg of his protagonist's journey.

Details? Who knows. I wouldnt trust details. But insight as to how GL viewed his characters? Far more valuable imo.

3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Not even Luuke? :confused::p:confused:

nightangel likes this.
  4. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Well, since you're violating TOS by discussing and attacking a poster, I'd say my contributions are far more successful than yours

-LordSkywalker- and ChildOfWinds like this.
  5. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yep indeed and it is true, we are really facing a generation issue and misunderstanding here. [face_dunno]

6. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Well played. :)

Though your "Luke is a broken failure" broken record trolling gets close to that TOS-violating edge as well...

Dra--- likes this.
  7. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    It's not my "Luke is a broken failure," it's what the story is and what official magazine hype pieces said he is.

Point being, Lucas' arc for Luke didn't include this

-LordSkywalker- and nightangel like this.
  8. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I'm sure neither Lucas nor LFL ever intended - or intend - Luke to *end the ST* a "broken failure."

9. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    That's a hyperbolically negative interpretation of what the story is. It's not objectively what the story is.

oncafar, Ben-Solo and JoJoPenelli like this.
  10. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Exactly. Broken Luke is part of his story. It's not going to define his story.

oncafar and Trikuza23 like this.
  11. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    The more broken he starts out, the more awesome he'll end up :)

Contrast ;)

12. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Objectively the story is Luke failed to restart the Jedi and failed to train Ben. Objectively the story is Luke is broken.

I don't think anyone expects Luke to remain a broken failure, but as of the beginning of TLJ, the story is Luke is a broken failure. I don't think Lucas Luke was ever a broken failure.

13. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    We have no clue.

But a hero being at one point a broken failure? Comes with the territory. If I wanted an immortal perfect superman...I'd fangirl Superman :p

14. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I don't need my heroes to be deconstructed and I don't believe it comes with the territory. I will bet my house that if a SST is made, Rey will not be a broken failure.

-LordSkywalker- and BlurryUFOs like this.
  15. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Oh I bet she will be at some point.

A hero's triumphs feel kinda hollow to me if it's just success after success.

Y'know one reason why I love Luke? He's a whiny brat for a good chunk of the OT. But he grows up. And RotJ Luke certainly wouldn't have made the impression on me he did if he had been a sober, confident bada$$ from the start.

16. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    We won't know about Lucas Luke for a while. Do I think that Luke was a failure in Lucas story....nope.....Do I think he was the hero ? Nope.

In fact....I suspect that the famous "Who is Luke Skywalker" (that lured J.J. Abrams into directing TFA) was not from KK.....but an original pitch from Lucas himself.

I really think that the story of Episode 7 was about new characters (the Solo, maybe a Calrissian and a girl found on a lonely planet) going on a quest to find Luke.

We like to make fun of Ardnt's comments about Luke.....but he was working WITH Lucas. It changed when Lucas sold Lucasfilm.

That concept art of an old Luke (A ROTJ classic) https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.ne...-MOROTJ.png/revision/latest?cb=20150426200707 ....was just a concept art....not related to any scripts.

nightangel, TK327 and JoJoPenelli like this.
  17. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    I'd take the bet as well. Perfect examples are Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda both failed in some way to redeem themselves persay through Luke Skywalker; conflict is always a good storytelling element especially when it those we trust, love and know can go through the storm and come out stronger

18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    As I said earlier we are done with the "blah blah blah Lucas would have done..." haranguing. You've now had five years to get over the fact that he's no longer involved in the franchise. Move on. He has nothing to do with the discussion of Luke in TLJ.

19. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    The only thing worth writing about is the human heart in conflict with itself - William Faulkner

20. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    and luke wasn't one in his trilogy. but this is rey's trilogy. i don't know if luke is "deconstructed" or not. but real people don't live perfect lives without failure. if one aspires to be a perfect hero who never fails, one is bound for huge disappointment. all the things that happened have given us a complex situation for luke to be in with psychological depth and i'm grateful for that personally.

Dra---, Ben-Solo and Darth Gummybear like this.
  21. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I dont think he necessarily needs to leave the saga, he just can't be the focus of it.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Once and for all... In summary, here is EXACTLY what George Lucas would do:

George Lucas would sell the franchise, surrendering all creative control of story decisions to other creators, and spend his earnings from the sale on mall food court Chinese food.

23. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    1) That's your interpreation of the situation, using pretty loaded language.

MODified: Leave George Lucas out of this. George Lucas literally left himself out of this.

24. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i'll be interested to see what i think the saga focuses on as 9 films. the first 6 were about anakin/vader really (or i agree with GL on that). but now there are 6 with vader/anakin and presumably 6 with luke, and they overlap in the middle. although i still saw TFA as being about anakin/vader because he is now this dark story hanging over everything, i am not sure what i'll think after ix. rey is the focus of this trilogy but she can't be the focus of the saga imo.

oh and if force ghost anakin is in this trilogy i'm fairly certain i'll see the whole saga as about anakin/vader. i'm leaning towards that anyway.

25. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    One day, someone will write "Star Wars: The Literal Behind the Scenes Wars Behind the Creation of the Infamous Sequel Trilogy."

:D

nightangel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.