main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I never said anything different, the problem is just the script. It is indeed Mark's best performance and I only watched this movie a 2nd time because of Mark.

2. Ahsoka Blaster

Ahsoka Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2017
    I saw an interview with Mark, and he said that he didn't think a Jedi would leave Kylo out in the world to do evil. Rian was there and his face looked sort of pinched, and then Mark said, but I'm old fashioned and I don't know how the new kids do heroes. Mark tries so hard not to say he hates this story, but it's so clear that he does. I'm afraid of how I will react in the theater. :(

3. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I like how the movie kinda sets up that the Resistance was dead with or without Luke coming back. Though I would have liked to see some classic Jedi action from Luke, I think it's really cool how his ultimate role in the conflict is providing that last bit of inspiration, time, and hope needed to keep the "spark" from dying out completely. It's emotionally satisfying and important to the plot.

We better get a couple good Luke-Rey scenes in IX though. And I think his presence will continue to hang over Kylo.

4. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000
    This is a very good point, and acts as a redeeming feature to cling some hope to IX for. Luke found a way to foil the First Order/Dark Side, without fighting, and put into action the words spoken by DJ about remaining passive, which does suggest there could be some semblance of reason behind all this. I'm still having great difficulty accepting that Luke had to 'become one with the Force' in this film and not the next one (if at all - I LOVE YOU LUKE! :_| ), but if he really had to go, this could ultimately prove to be the most profound way in which to do it.

...but the Binary Sunset bit was a bit too 'on the nose' (as JJ would say).

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. Bazookaleffe

Bazookaleffe Jedi Master star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    Personally, this felt like a bad ending to a trilogy and not like a middle part.
    I have zero interest to discuss the continuation of this trilogy on the other side of this forum.

Even though TFA was not perfect, J.J/Kasdan did a good job with establishing new interesting characters and questions to be answered.
    I know I would've been much more satisfied if J.J/Kasdan was allowed to continue the story instead of Rian.

Kasdan: "These movies will all be so different. Johnson is a friend of mine — he’s going to make some weird thing."
    True that.

MasterPrince713, 4ce, T-R- and 2 others like this.
  6. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    The press is cheering it. I think we are all totally wrong with our opinion.

7. OriForce

OriForce Jedi Padawan

Dec 20, 2015
    Luke did not claimed to be a legend or wanted to be perceived as one, either out of humility or wary of greed/pride leading him to the dark side. In reality people did perceive him as legend. Or else why did RJ put in the final scene of Canto Bight boys telling story of Luke?

8. Contreras1991

Contreras1991 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 18, 2017
    Broomboi to the other kids: Did you ever hear the tragedy of Luke SkywalkerThe Wise? I thought not. It’s not a story the First Order would tell you. It’s a Jedi legend. Luke Skywalker was a Jedi Master, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to project himself in other planets… He had such a knowledge of the dark side and light side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying. The Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. He became so powerful… the only thing he was afraid of was another Darth Vader, which eventually, of course, happened. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then he passed away. Ironic. He could save others from death, but not himself.

9. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Yep. He was perceived as a legend no matter what he wanted people to think. That’s the point of the end scene. The stories about him captured their imaginations.

10. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    So instead he decided to do nothing? He decided to let Kylo and Snoke run amuck while he hid on an island waiting to die. Great plan.

11. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    He was dejected by that point. He tried, he failed. He didn’t care about saving the galaxy after that. Everything he built was literally burned down.

Charlie07 likes this.
  12. Ahsoka Blaster

Nov 12, 2017
    I'm beginning to wonder why they just didn't start the story earlier. Why not show us what happened with Luke and Ben, and even Snoky?

13. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    It's 30 years since the OT and Luke has evolved so he has had experiences and responsibilities that will have changed him.

Sadly you don't really get much of that because we are reintroduced to him and then he is gone by the end.

Him trying to kill Kylo I dunno if that would be concidered him going evil but more him showing sign of fear, weakness and uncertainty.

Ahsoka Blaster and SgtTimBob like this.
  14. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    There is a lot of backstory that didn't really get explained

Ahsoka Blaster likes this.
  15. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015

HE WAS NEVER GOING TO KILL KYLO!!!

Luke:

Jedi Merkurian and Satipo like this.
  16. Ahsoka Blaster

Nov 12, 2017
    Why did Luke think doing something about Kylo meant maybe killing him in his sleep, like Palpatine? That level of fear does suggest Luke was more like Anakin and Palpy than most of us ever thought. That's interesting, but I'm not sure I'd believe it unless we spent time at Luke's temple and saw how attached he'd become. It doesn't make me think of ROTJ Luke much at all.

ChildOfWinds, dick rodgers and T-R- like this.
  17. Charlie07

Jun 22, 2015
    Seriously, did some folks just watch kylo's interpretation of the temple scene and just believed that was the real version?

How can anyone listen to luke give his side and still suggest luke was some kind of blood thirsty lunatic?

Jedi Merkurian and Maylander like this.
  18. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016

That's an actual line in the movie? Well at least Rian didn't forego the famous Star Wars cornball dialogue.

19. Charlie07

Jun 22, 2015

Do characters have to be exactly the same people 20-30 years later?

20. Maylander

Maylander Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 27, 2016
    Completely agree. I've seen this numerous times, as if people just watched the Ben version in a video clip or something. The "real version" clearly shows that he had no intention of killing him.

21. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    It's just that. He's human. Point being that because there was this legendary image of him, doesn't mean he was perfect.

[​IMG]

22. Charlie07

Jun 22, 2015

Reading some of the responses to the luke flashback, I genuinely started to question if Europe/NA got a different cut of the movie compared to us Aussies. For SOME comments, i have no idea what they were watching.

23. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015

And in a way, his status as a legend ended up being Luke's most powerful weapon of all against the FO. All throughout TFA you're left with the idea that Luke coming back will somehow turn the tides, but TLJ immediately turns that on its head with Luke mocking the idea that he could somehow come out with a "laser sword" and stand down the whole FO. Even I, as an audience member, felt called out by that line lol.

And then Rian subverts that by having that be exactly what he does. But he doesn't use his physical force strength, he uses this status as a legendary jedimaster to undermine the FO more than he could have had he actually been there. Like Leia says at the end of the movie "we have all we need" or whatever, you realize it wasn't Luke the Resistance needed, but the hope he provides. It's up to the new characters to take inspiration from this hope and do the dirty work themselves. Such a great use of the themes/symbolism surrounding Luke and his place in both the OT and ST. It wasn't what fans (including me) were expecting or wanted, but it was such a strong, bold choice, and for me it worked wonders.

(still not sure why he had to die, that I would have preferred not to happen, but Luke in this movie is sooo good besides that for me)

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    No. But some of them could actually evolve rather than devolve. Not everything has to be deconstruction.

25. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    The point is that Luke thought about killing Ben and is so ashamed of it he decides to run and hide and wait for death, while not caring that Kylo and Snoke are killing people, which is the whole reason he had the thought in the first place. Like Mark Hamill said, Luke Skywalker and Jedi don't give up. They try to correct their mistake not sulk for suicide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.