main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
  2. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    LUKE IS NOT PERFECT, NO WAY, ORIGINAL PROTAGONIST RUINED. MOVIE IS TRASH. That's what i'm seeing everywhere.
    Yeah, no. That would have been bad writing and unreasonable fan service. Yes, he chose non-violence when confronting Vader and the Emperor. But after that encounter, after becoming a legend, Luke reverted back to the ambitious man we saw in ESB. The one who was always looking to the future, "the horizon" He was going to be a master, he was going to revive the jedi order. But then came a possible threat to those ambitions, more importantly a threat to his other students. In that moment when he contemplated killing Ben, who at the moment was still a conflicted jedi aspirant, Luke was looking at the future, the horizon, a difficult to see thing - and he could only see the bad future. He wasn't looking at the moment at hand. Yoda said this about him decades ago in his training on Dagobah. It probably went in one ear and out the other at the time. By the time Luke saw the error of his ways, his lightsaber was already ignited over Ben's bedside, even though he never would have gone through with it. A mistake. People make mistakes. Luke is capable of a mistake. It was a big mistake, admittedly, but it had to have been to bring him to such a state of isolation and self-admonishment.

3. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    To make it simple, the Star Wars saga ends with episode VI Return of the Jedi as the visonary of our century told us George Lucas. Thank you for these wonderful movies, episode I to episode VI!!! Also thank you so much Mark Hamill for being Luke Skywalker and being so close to us fans, we will always keep you in our heart!^:)^^:)^^:)^

4. Tiberius.Ogden

Tiberius.Ogden Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 6, 2016
  5. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I saw the movie today and the milking scene was just...
    [​IMG]

beetzello and T-R- like this.
  6. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Hamill was fantastic in this. :luke:

7. DaddlerTheDalek

Aug 31, 2014

8. DaddlerTheDalek

Aug 31, 2014

9. Admiral_Wyvern

Admiral_Wyvern Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2014
    I'm just going to drop my opinions here. The whole thing was really disappointing. I had heard that Luke might die and I was prepared to accept that. I'm a long time Luke fan, so I thought that it would upset me, but honestly I thought that if they killed him off it would be the right decision for the story.

The way they did it just felt so random. He just dies because.

The thing is that I actually liked his character. I liked that he'd failed and made mistakes, it made me think that they were going to go somewhere with his character. When it was revealed that Kylo was just fighting an illusion, I honestly thought that the movie had just been saved. But he just dies without having really done anything except distract the enemy.

I don't get it. Did they not have faith in Hamil's acting ability? Did Hamil not want to do any more films? Did they just want to sweep Luke out of the way for the awkward Kylo/Rey stuff?

Maybe I will feel differently later on, but right now it's hard to feel enthusiastic about the franchise's future.

ChildOfWinds and UberJediPaul like this.
  10. Admiral_Wyvern

Admiral_Wyvern Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2014
    I'm just going to drop my opinions here. The whole thing was really disappointing. I had heard that Luke might die and I was prepared to accept that. I'm a long time Luke fan, so I thought that it would upset me, but honestly I thought that if they killed him off it would be the right decision for the story.

The way they did it just felt so random. He just dies because.

The thing is that I actually liked his character. I liked that he'd failed and made mistakes, it made me think that they were going to go somewhere with his character. When it was revealed that Kylo was just fighting an illusion, I honestly thought that the movie had just been saved. But he just dies without having really done anything except distract the enemy.

I don't get it. Did they not have faith in Hamil's acting ability? Did Hamil not want to do any more films? Did they just want to sweep Luke out of the way for the awkward Kylo/Rey stuff?

Maybe I will feel differently later on, but right now it's hard to feel enthusiastic about the franchise's future.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  11. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    I don't think the force ability Luke used is without its consequences. I think what Luke did was create a force avatar of sorts. The avatar can only take so much damage before it actually hurts the caster. The avatar sucked up all it could with the barrage from the walkers. Kylo did the damage which truly doomed Luke, after Luke deactivated his lightsaber. Luke was set on dying on Ach-To, so he used this ability until he no longer could and died from the internal damage it did to him. Luke's death was not random, nor was it for nothing

12. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    At the start, when Luke first walks away from Rey, I swear I thought he walked into a toilet and slammed the metal door.
    I was waiting to hear "sounds", and a flush.

13. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    When I first heard Mark Hamill say that he fundamentally disagreed with how Johnson wrote his character, I was concerned, as many were. Yet Hamill is a consummate professional, of course. Honestly, Luke reminded me of Diogenes at times. (My philosophy minor continues to haunt me. Lol.) This whole notion of Luke going into exile is antithetical to the character. This is a person who embodies hope and compassion. We see this in the original films and in the EU. Despite all this, I think Hamill did a great job, and he and Ridley were the main reasons I came to see this movie. As things stand, Rogue One is still my favorite post-ROTJ Star Wars film. That appears unlikely to change.

14. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    I just wanted to say a thank you to Mark Hamill for bringing his all despite him not liking what they did to Luke. It was a terrible arc - even though his final moment before the suns he disappears - that was poignant.

His Force projection thing and him dying of it was pretty lame. I like the concept but he didn't do anything except stand there and it was also staged poorly.

15. Quiff_vs_Sith

Quiff_vs_Sith Jedi Master

Jan 22, 2009
    _ _ _ _

Rubbish. So, what about Mark Hamill, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Adam Driver? I'm guessing they are men and, what do you know? ... they played some of the main roles in the film. Look, if you don't like The Last Jedi, that's fine. I've been a fan since I was a kid (I'm 41 now) and there were things in The Last Jedi that I didn't like and there were things that I thought were poor decisions from a storytelling perspective. However, don't blame it on women being cast in a couple of the major roles or the fact that KK is head of Lucasfilm. The director and screenwriter was Rian Johnson. He's a man, as am I.

16. carte blanche

carte blanche Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 14, 2017
    Mark have a great performance in this but you can tell from all his interviews that he did not enjoy doing this arc for Luke at all. I wish him the best in his future projects but I don’t think he should come back for IX even if they asked him. Of all the SW cast, he’s the one who understood the fans best and I guess he always knew it was going to disappoint us.

-LordSkywalker- and ChildOfWinds like this.
  17. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Girls are scary.

18. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    He'll come back for the fans. I'm sure the money is nice for him, especially since he's a collector, but he's always expressed his appreciation for his fans so exuberantly. Also, I think he disagreed with the arc, but came around for his ending. He'll be back as a ghost - guiding Rey and bother Kylo. I can't wait to see a Force ghost Luke haunting Kylo.

19. astinus4

astinus4 Jedi Master star 1

Jun 15, 2005
    Thank you, that was very eloquent and insightful; couldn't agree more.

20. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    With him gone, I am still hoping his green sabers still exists. Possible it was crushed when Ben brought the house down in the flashback, or maybe Luke chucked it into the water on the Island. Hopefully it is is functioning somewhere post Academy fall.

21. carte blanche

carte blanche Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 14, 2017
    Guiding Rey feels so pointless cause as Yoda said she already knows everything plus their relationship is non-existent! They left each other on horrible terms, Luke returning to the fight was about saving Leia. I feel like bringing him back would add little to the story at this point after what they did with him. Just let him move on and let it die.

22. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    The sad thing is Rey is going to eventually become everything Luke was in the EU at the expense of Luke's character

23. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Rey still respected what Luke stood for when he appeared at the end via projection, and she knew his passing was a significant moment. Rey has the Jedi books but she hasn’t read them. If they take a leaf out of ROTJ’s draft it could be pretty interesting. Luke cut himself off to the Force, now he’s one with the Force. I think “see you around kid” says it all.

24. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    He probably left it because it reminds him of when he thought about killing Ben

themoth likes this.
  25. Quiff_vs_Sith

Quiff_vs_Sith Jedi Master

Jan 22, 2009
    _ _ _ _

Sure, we were all expecting Luke, after some initial resistance, to train Rey and then jump back into a ship and back into the fight and become a heroic Jedi again. Obviously, that didn't happen. I accept that a lot of fans didn't like the fact that he didn't .. I was on here an hour after seeing a midnight premiere of the film and I really did see that loads of fans hated the portrayal of Luke in TLJ. I do understand that. It defied the expectations of many, many fans. It wasn't what I expected. After seeing the film and thinking about it - and not being entirely happy about it - I think one needs to consider that Luke did, ultimately, redeem himself .. he sacrificed himself to save time for what was left of the Rebellion and to secure its survival. He had become a reluctant, unwilling hero .. but sacrificed himself for those who will keep the faith and the fight going. His death, looking at the twin sons, was quite beautiful. Having said all that, I do agree with others that it does leave what will/could happen in Episode IX entirely up in the air. Killing-off Snoke was a major mistake in my opinion in terms of potential storytelling. With regard to Rey, maybe the stuff about her parents being nobodies was a bluff. I don't know. There is also also speculation that Snoke didn't really die. We shall see. Anyway, back to the point, don't accuse women of some kind of plot to destroy the saga. Sure, KK is head of Lucasfilm, but have you also spotted all those guys who also seem to be in charge as well. If you don't like TLJ - which many don't see to - maybe a bunch of men AND women just oversaw the production of a film that you didn't like.

KamNale likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.