main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    Well I am still not feeling great about this movie but slowly coming to terms with it and definitely need to see it again. One thing that I am definitely feeling better about is the final scenes and what it meaans for Luke, ep 9 and the trilogy.

If we go back to TFA we hear Snoke make a definitive prediction "If Skywalker returns the new Jedi will rise". Well Luke did return and whilst we might see "die" in truth we all know he is now one with the force. Most importantly though is the final scene...the stable inspired by the deeds of Luke Skywalker, dreaming of the rebellion and using the force.

Lukes story isn't finished yet!

Darth Nikean likes this.
  2. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I like the foreshadowing in TLJ.

Luke (early on): You think I'm just going to walk out there with my laser sword and face down the entire First Order?
    When Rey and Kylo first connect Kylo remarks how Rey couldn't be doing this because the effort would kill her.
    Yoda said how Luke is always the boy looking to the horizon. And Luke’s last moment is him looking at a sunset.

3. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I think RJ may be one of the very few people on the planet that was inspired by Padmae loosing her "will to live". So he has decided the end Luke in the same way. I do wonder if that was discussed and it made so ambiguous so a parallel could be drawn.

EDITED: Actually I take that back. I doubt anyone thought the story through to any level of detail whatsoever.

-LordSkywalker- and ChildOfWinds like this.
  4. Darth Nikean

Darth Nikean Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 30, 2016
    True Yoda seemed to apear I the flesh to a while it looked like it to me . But Rey and Leia felt him pass . Then I notice before he left to fight Kylo he gave a c3po a wink Luke also told Leia know one is truly gone something like that I don’t remember the right words. And told Kylo see you around kid witch tells me he might be back

5. carte blanche

carte blanche Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 14, 2017
    Luke losing the will to live to get out of this terrible storyline is honesty the most relatable thing he’s ever done.

6. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    I think the intent is that while Luke "is out there", he won't be back. This was Mark's final performance. The shots of the boys talking about Luke and that stable boy looking to the sky with a shooting star while holding a broom lightsaber - thats all implied that Luke has "sparked" hope in a new generation and that is how they are closing out the story. I think that point is very clear from an artistic standpoint.

With Snoke gone, the focus is now on Rey vs Kylo. Luke helping is not needed by Rey. I think her taking the Jedi texts are also a sign she will learn everything on her own.

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  7. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Mark Hamill: “I at one point had to say to Rian, ‘I pretty much fundamentally disagree with every choice you’ve made for this character. Now, having said that, I have gotten it off my chest, and my job now is to take what you’ve created and do my best to ralize your vision.’” (May 25, 2017)

Mark Hamill: “That’s the hard part [about playing and being associated with a character for so long]. You don’t want to admit how possessive you’ve become. There are times where you go, ‘Really? That’s what they think of Luke? I’m not only in disagreement – I’m insulted.’ But that’s the process and you thrash it all out.” (October 30, 2017)

Now I/we understand why.

8. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    If you stop to think about it; there's little meaningful difference between Luke projecting himself across the galaxy and manifesting as a Force ghost.

From a certain point of view anyway. :)

9. prlrocks

prlrocks Jedi Master star 2

Jun 15, 2009
    I adore Mark, but I admittedly had not taken those comments seriously. Now, I'm in awe of how right he was and how honest he was being with his fans about how he felt.

Darth Ewok and MS1 like this.
  10. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    T-R- and ChildOfWinds like this.
  11. GrandAdmiralSchmiggy

GrandAdmiralSchmiggy Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2002
    The lights went up last night and I couldn't figure what was going on. I felt empty after a Star Wars movie and I was really confused. No SW movie had invoked such a lack of emotion in me. It wasn't a perfect a movie, it had its flaws, but I still couldn't decide what was bothering me.

I thought about it a lot last night and hashed out it. My childhood hero, that stood for all the good in the galaxy, was not even a shell of himself but a complete bastardization of everything I grew up loving. My first action figure was a ANH Kenner Luke, I used to play "star wars" with the neighbors and I always insisted on being Luke. Hell, I have a screenshot saved on my PC of the one time I've conversed directly with Mark on Reddit.

This stings a lot, and I am really disappointed in the direction they took Luke. This character arc makes little sense to me. It wasn't "growth". If this was the way things needed to be in order to move on to "disney's characters" then they should have never brought Luke back.

While TFA may have been a homage to the OT and ANH, it at least felt like it respected and cherished where these characters came from and where they should be going.

12. carte blanche

carte blanche Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 14, 2017
    Yeah, we can’t say he didn’t warn us. Mark has alway been in tune with fans.

When he did that Facebook interview and said “what are they gonna do, fire me?” I kinda knew what was coming.

MagnarTheGreat likes this.
  13. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I thought the same thing. Yoda interacted with the environment. Obi-Wan sat down in ROTJ. Technically Luke could appear in a very similar way to his last stand against Kylo. It’s just a question if JJ Abrams wants to do that.

Dr_Cthulhu likes this.
  14. Darth Nikean

Darth Nikean Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 30, 2016
    Well they kil

15. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    I was thrown off by the revelation that Luke very seriously considered killing his young student Kylo in his sleep...did this sit wrong with anyone else? I know it was just a fleeting feeling but still...kinda felt wrong for the Luke I know and love...

Admiral_Wyvern likes this.
  16. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015
    Yet you completely leave out this.

http://www.slashfilm.com/mark-hamill-star-wars-the-last-jedi-disagreement/

Darth_Bertie and Dr_Cthulhu like this.
  17. RDeckard

RDeckard Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    I get why people are upset about Luke's portrayal. I think that was kind of the point. Luke is not Superman. He's not a boy scout. He is a man, flaws and all. He faced down the biggest evil in the galaxy and was tortured by that evil. His father saved him and then immediately died.

To think that Luke Skywalker is going to come back from that unphased is ridiculous. My guess? Luke left the destruction of the second Death Star victim to something he had never truly felt. He was afraid of the great power of the dark side of the force. He knew he was to continue the Jedi tradition, but deep down, the dark side of the force, that fear drove many of the decisions he made. Upon the realization of his fears becoming reality and Ben Solo turning to the dark side, Luke attempted, though stopped himself from killing Ben Solo.

Leave the fact that Luke is a Jedi and that he's been a perfect boyscout aside. His path in Episode VIII is not only understandable, but one of the more justifiable outcomes.

18. Charlie07

Jun 22, 2015

Nope i have no problems with luke. Fearing another Darth vader created a moment of shame that was ultimately responsible for the creation of the thing he was trying to avoid.

Jedi Merkurian and Satipo like this.
  19. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016

I don't think it's a matter of JJ, I think it's more the matter of KK and her wanting to give Rey all of the spot light which is what probably will happen.

I actually wound up liking Luke's direction then at times I still don't. I see where everyone's coming from from both good and bad. Luke is my favorite to. I feel bad that Mark had to go through this with his character and at the same time I give Rian a ton of credit for taking a risk, something Star Wars has kind of lacked for a while. I just think he execution of this saga has gotten in the way of Luke's character. Him not being in 7 is one thing, but he should have been here for two full movies. Maybe he will be in 9, but who knows how long and what he will do?

In my original theory and how they can make this believable, Luke shut out the force not because of depression, so that Luke could hide himself from Kylo and Snoke. I read theories that Snoke was this vampire who sucked the life force out of Jedi, so I figured, maybe Luke was the last piece of the puzzle Snoke needed for true power and Luke couldn't defeat him on his own. He needed Rey, that way the two can work together and train, taking down the evil together. It kind of mirrors the idea that Obi Wan couldn't take down Vader by himself anymore in A New Hope and needed help from young Skywalker.

But obviously that's how it didn't play out. The main reason Luke was kept to the side is because he is too strong and would steal the spotlight, like it was implied TFA in and outside of the movie. The problem is though is that they didn't create an antagonist strong enough where Luke was challenged. He was fighting his demons for losing his nephew. I thought that being could be/was supposed to be Snoke. When Kylo killed him, I felt like he should have gotten Snoke's power, or something to make him seem like an invincible being, a legit monster like Rey was implying. But nope he wasn't any stronger than he was in TFA. Rey can still take him down easily as I expect her to do in Episode 9.

I guess that's why they made Luke appear as a hologram at the end of 8, because you knew if he went there physically, he would have taken out Kylo with extreme ease. Had he absorbed Snoke's powers on his own, or did something to make him stronger, we probably would have had Luke appear there physically, not being able to take down his nephew but still stall him enough so the resistance can still escape. That way we would have seen a pretty well deserving lightsaber battle. One last showdown before Luke set off into the sunset. I was still impressed with the way it turned out at the end, but I felt like this would have been more rewarding.

I get that Luke can still appear in 9. He will I'm certain of it. But what's the point? Rey doesn't need Luke to beat Kylo. She doesn't need training or the books that Luke left behind. At least that's how it seems now. There needs to be a bigger threat. The Knights of Ren, Snoke returning, Rey being possessed somehow. Then Luke could come back and give it one final showdown that he deserves, but I know it won't happen.

I know they were saying they wanted to tie the entire Saga so far with this movie together. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing a ton of Jedi ghosts appearing such as Anakin, Obi Wan, etc giving Rey the energy she needs to finish the battle.

I know the 8 will make a ton of money, and the reviews, at least on the big scale are positive, but I hope that the bad reviews that half of the fanbase is giving the film, will make them reconsider what they did. Personally I don't mind it as much, but with Carrie gone, I just feel like they need a bigger name/character, because honestly, nothing against the actors, these new characters aren't doing it for me and they sure aren't going to do it for me without the help/appearance of any fan favorites from the saga, aka Luke.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  20. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Luke would play therapist to anyone feeling the pull of the dark like his father. His first instinct would not be to off them.

21. Admiral_Wyvern

Admiral_Wyvern Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2014
    Since it was only a moment of weakness I don't mind it. It was emphasized in the OT that he was susceptible to the dark side just like everyone else. I just don't like how there was nothing beyond a halfhearted redemption for his character

22. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I think this was my favourite thing in the whole movie and one of the great tragic - and human - moments in the saga.

For that matter I think TLJ Luke is the greatest and most fascinating role in the saga. But while I love him in the movie (because of his failures and weakness and his ability to let go of his shame and guilt) I do understand why some don’t want it or don’t like it. The “wait and see” argument is passed. We all know the full context. If it works for people, fantastic. If it doesn’t. That’s a shame but I do appreciate it.

23. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I think this was my favourite thing in the whole movie and one of the great tragic - and human - moments in the saga.

For that matter I think TLJ Luke is the greatest and most fascinating role in the saga. But while I love him in the movie (because of his failures and weakness and his ability to let go of his shame and guilt) I do understand why some don’t want it or don’t like it. The “wait and see” argument is passed. We all know the full context. If it works for people, fantastic. If it doesn’t. That’s a shame but I do appreciate it.

24. Charlie07

Jun 22, 2015

100% agree. I don't there was an "objective" way that luke had to play out. However I liked his story presented and fully understand why those don't.

Jedi Merkurian and Satipo like this.
  25. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    They aren’t going to let Luke come back in any way. Can’t have him sharing any limelight with Rey Random or taking any focus off of her, you know. She’s their perfect hero: one who can be a Jedi with almost zero training, and who yoda says has more wisdom than all of the Jedi books; and who never really has her moment of really being tempted by the dark side.

No. They destroyed Luke to make Rey the big hero. They won’t risk Luke having a scene that might take any attention away from her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.