main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I think this was my favourite thing in the whole movie and one of the great tragic - and human - moments in the saga.

For that matter I think TLJ Luke is the greatest and most fascinating role in the saga. But while I love him in the movie (because of his failures and weakness and his ability to let go of his shame and guilt) I do understand why some don’t want it or don’t like it. The “wait and see” argument is passed. We all know the full context. If it works for people, fantastic. If it doesn’t. That’s a shame but I do appreciate it.

2. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    They broke my heart.Luke Skywalker would not consider murdering someone in their sleep. He was willing to bet his life on his father, but he’d kill his nephew as he slept? On a hunch?

Go to Hell, Rian Johnson.

3. Iwuvrey

Iwuvrey Jedi Youngling

Oct 9, 2017
    ROFL: If you think Mark was allowed to say negative things about the movie your nuts. He slipped up, got scolded and fixed his mess so he wouldn't mess up his contract and lose his payday.

4. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I think he’ll definitely come back. He practically promises Kylo he will. But it’ll be more Shakespearean than last Force ghosts - with Luke haunting Kylo more than guiding Rey and Leia (though he can do that too if needed). Transcendence feels right for his arc to me. But I can definitely see him coming back.

I totally disagree they destroyed Luke. They tore him down to to make him truly great - and in a way that chimes with the early Force philosophy of the OT. But I can see why others would hate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tho Yor and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  5. RDeckard

RDeckard Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Our interaction with Luke Skywalker is primarily before he was tortured mercilessly by the Emperor. Sorry, but this is completely understandable from Luke

6. Ahsoka Blaster

Ahsoka Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2017
    Yeah, the fan backlash seems like a real thing to consider now. The RT user score is 56%! If that translates to lower than expected box office, then LFL/KK may have to rethink giving Rian Johnson a trilogy. This is pretty funny considering how many here were so certain that Rian had crafted a perfect movie. :p

4ce, nightangel, Darth Vain and 2 others like this.
  7. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015

Ahh yes, someone can never clarify a comment. It's always THE BIG BAD MOUSE!!! [face_laugh][face_rofl]

8. RDeckard

Dec 28, 2015
    It’s a near perfect Star Wars movie. I can only admit to V, IV being clearly better.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013

10. Ahsoka Blaster

Nov 12, 2017
    Mark's feelings are very clear. In one of his very last interviews with the whole cast, he said right in front of Rian that he didn't believe a Jedi would give up. That's truth, folks. Accept it even if you disagree with Mark.

11. Iwuvrey

Iwuvrey Jedi Youngling

Oct 9, 2017

12. Anakin_Prime

Anakin_Prime Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2005
    I feared this mess concerning Luke’s treatment... Nothing was good about it... It’s just very, very disappointing... What a freaking disgraceful mess.

13. RDeckard

Dec 28, 2015
    You should be angry. That means it worked. Luke is a broken man. He’s a human. He always has been. He’s not a hero anymore. He’s just a man.

14. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    Cinemascore is A

https://www.cinemascore.com

This is the poll that can't be manipulated by fans or trolls.

15. RDeckard

Dec 28, 2015
    Nothing about it was “disgraceful”. You just didn’t like it. What was he supposed to do?

Jedi Merkurian and themoth like this.
  16. Ahsoka Blaster

Nov 12, 2017
    I love the movie too despite hating what they did with Luke. But here's the RT user rating: 56% liked it. Average Rating: 3.3/5. User Ratings: 73,473.

3.3 out of 5 = a D. That can't be a good sign for Disney, or Rian.

ChildOfWinds and Darth Nikean like this.
  17. RDeckard

Dec 28, 2015
    RT user rating is a worthless metric until they parse out the top reviews.

And by the way, movies aren’t given letter grades for a reason. Three and a half stars is good. But really, the critics draw casual fans, not enthusiast reaction.

That RT score is 94%. That’s really the only RT score that matters. Even more impressive though is the 82 meta score. Critics didn’t just like it, they loved it.

18. TheAnonJedi

TheAnonJedi Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 12, 2017
    I have no problem with Luke having a moment of weakness and thinking of killing a young Ben, what I do have a problem with is that I think KK and co pretty much said this trilogy was still going to be about the Skywalkers. (Think this was said before TFA but I may be wrong since it's been a while) So whats in store for episode 9? Watch Rey Random (Who should've been a Skywallker and don't give me that "universe is bigger now!" bs) beat Kylo's ass and hope he's redeemed before he dies? Honestly the more this sits with me the more I dislike it, they should've saved Luke's death for episode 9. There where some great things in the movie and I enjoyed it a lot but it really did kill all excitement I had to see the end of this trilogy.

19. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016

I really want to see how much of a response/backlash this will build up I don't blame Rian as much as Kathleen. She's the one who gets the final say of everything. She's been involved with too many classic movies and been around long enough to know how important these characters are to a lot of people. Rey is more important to her and Disney than Luke is. It's really the unfortunate truth.

Darth Vain and ChildOfWinds like this.
  20. Iwuvrey

Iwuvrey Jedi Youngling

Oct 9, 2017

Doubt it will. She rewarded RJ with an entire trilogy for his loyalty. I'm not a big Facebook user but the backlash I've seen there is massive, particularly about Luke. KK is in control and as long as tickets sell, which they will, all of this will continue with her at the helm.

21. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    That announcement last month of the Johnson trilogy seems like a marketing stunt to hype up this movie considering its timing. It could have waited, there was no impetus other than getting a massive amount of articles written and questions about during the last month of marketing TLJ.

22. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    TBH, many fans on here would give the PT 4.5 to 5 stars -- that renders the fan opinion moot. Only one metric matters to Disney and that's how close they are to that $228 million opening weekend.

As far as Luke's path, I enjoyed it, and maybe because it was such a departure from the "least interesting protagonist in the galaxy" role he had been playing. There's a reason Vader outsold Luke 10:1 in action figures. Now, Luke's a grumpy old man who regrets many of his decisions after blowing up the Death Star and kissing his sister. Honestly, he's really in the same position Yoda was in ESB. He just had more of that inbred Skywalker anger simmering below the surface. Plus, training to be a Jedi Master and resisting the Dark Side (which he almost succumbed to more than once) is probably a lot more difficult when your teachers are glowy and see-through.

23. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I thought it was a good send off for Luke. Did not expect Leia to outlive Luke given Carrie Fishers death.

24. Admiral_Wyvern

Admiral_Wyvern Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2014
    I can handle Luke not being a godlike hero around which the universe revolves, but he's had no meaningful impact on the ST. Most of what he set to accomplish after the OT was destroyed off screen. I like the idea that he's only human and still has lessons to learn, but he didn't live long enough to act on those lessons. His entire character was just declared retroactively pointless.

La Calavera and TheAnonJedi like this.
  25. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Satipo, how did they make Luke “truly great”? They made Luke Skywalker, the galaxy’s great redeemer the cause of kylo’s fall because he thought he saw something dark in his nephew? This also means that Luke was responsible for the loss of the Jedi order AND the rise of kylo, snoke, and the first iorder because he wasn’t around to help stop them. He just walked off to mope on an island while the galaxy burned.

Then, when Rey comes, he keeps turning her away. There was never a good relationship between the two of them. He never even trained her. Rey got about ten minutes of Jedi training and now she’s a Jedi? Give me a break!

And what Did Luke accomplish in his three minutes on craft except to kill himself? He saved about a dozen people and died. Great!
    So much for the whole of TFA, which all of you kept saying was about finding Luke so he could help. Luke ended up dying three minutes after he came back. Where is the sense and logic in that?

So, Luke Skywalker leaves nothing: no Jedi, no family, no accomplishments, no help for the rebels. All he leaves behind is the villain Kylo that he caused and the first order that he allowed to rise by his willful abandonment of everything he loved and believed in.

JJ, kk, and Disney absolutely ruined this character and the Star Wars saga for me. There was certainly nothing in this film for Luke fans. It was a total disrespect of the character. Now I will likely not even be able to watch the original trilogy anymore, because all I will ever think about when I see the new hope, Luke Skywalker, is the character assassination that happens to him later. It would just make me sad...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.