main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Hell, even the new game has Luke help an imperial simply because he asked.

How can game designers understand Luke but RJ, KK, and the storygroup can't

2. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    The sad truth is that two of the biggest (if not THE) and most interesting SW characters, Luke and Legends/Old Republic Revan, had been utterly ruined by sequel stories...

3. Admiral_Wyvern

Admiral_Wyvern Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2014
    The thing about Luke's death is that it feels arbitrary and pointless. I get that he's supposed to have overused the force or something, but what he did was basically a trick. If Kylo had seen through it, it would have been pointless. It would have been clever if he had lived, but as a final act It doesn't come off as that impressive.

The whole thing emphasized what a pathetic villain Kylo has become. It's already hard to see him as being a threat to Rey, I guess if Luke was alive he would have been no threat at all. They basically killed him off to make Kylo a credible antagonist.

Luke was basically in hiding because he had given up on trying and didn't want to face his own failure, I don't see how it's a satisfying conclusion to just kill him off so that he doesn't need to. I get that confronting Kylo was supposed to be that, but it seems like kind of a cop out since Luke had no reason to expect that he could end the conflict. He was just helping the resistance escape, they're the ones who are going to fix his mistakes.

Maybe he will come back in IX as a ghost and it will be really amazing, but it doensn't feel like that is where we are going. They seem to be saying that his legacy is to inspire future heroes even though his legacy is one of failure according to them. They're trying to say something profound without doing anything to justify it.

4. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    If Luke appeared in person to stand down the First Order, he would’ve died straight away. Period. The fight would’ve been over as soon as the AT-ATs opened fire. Luke mocked the idea of standing down the First Order on his own for good reason. The only way he could hold off Ben for a long period of time was via the projection. I’m sure he would’ve beaten him in combat, but he wouldn’t have even had that chance because of the AT AT fire. He did something impossible by using the projection.

B3, Curjax Rebo, 11-4D and 1 other person like this.
  5. BOBA-FETT-82

BOBA-FETT-82 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 19, 2002
    This video reveals everything wrong with Luke in TLJ.

Darth Ewok, Jaxxon-, MS1 and 2 others like this.
  6. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Re: the most problematic development I had with what was done with the character of Luke Skywalker .. I found this in "The Art of The Last Jedi" book (in reference to artwork depicting a sleeping Ben Solo).

They seem to have written in that late, late script rewrite in January 2016.

7. CommanderL

CommanderL Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 25, 2015
    so lets ruin one charcter to give another a sob story
    good job

8. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    They had kylo freeze blaster bolts and untrained Rey move tons of boulders. They could have had Luke create a shield if they wanted, or turn the shots back on the walkers. Not like they are being consistent with the Saga any way

9. Sable de luz

Sable de luz Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    ryan jhonson and KK just dont understand who Luke Skywalker was. Now the damage is unrepairable.

10. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    I

There's an EW article out now about Luke's characterisation - the statement is made that "Luke's hero story ended in ROTJ" which I wholeheartedly agree with and which makes me wonder why on earth they would resurrect his character for the OT (other than as insurance for income generation in the event of the new characters not being well received) given the damage it has now done to that story.

EDIT: Here's the actual statement

11. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    They don't plan to use Luke as Gandalf time anything useful in 9. Rian proved what kind of hack he is in the interviews below. He doesn't understand what the Hero's Journey is and that Luke's wasn't completed in RotJ. He still had the return phase. They couldn't let him overshadow their creation. He was supposed to make a Skywalker Saga film and not a Rian edgy surprise film. Hack storytelling at it's finest

http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/16/the-last-jedi-spoiler-rey-parents/2/

http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/16/the...hnson-mark-hamill-luke-skywalker-revelations/

12. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Site issues

13. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    T-R- Well in all fairness, Mark's performance as Luke DOES tend to overshadow that of every other character he's with. They had to kill Luke but in a way, I think that the ending of TLJ would have been a perfect way to end IX ... and the Skywalker saga.

14. Marcus9000

Marcus9000 Jedi Knight

Dec 16, 2017
    Sorry to say it just proves Rian Johnson was the wrong man for the job.

I am furious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  15. Marcus9000

Marcus9000 Jedi Knight

Dec 16, 2017
    Sorry to say it just proves Rian Johnson was the wrong man for the job.

I am furious.

T-R- likes this.
  16. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    Having seen the film a second time, I find myself continuing to disagree with the majority of opinions in this thread. He was always my favourite character and I had no problem accepting this new characterisation. It fits so well into the internal logic of the film and serves the story beautifully. My second viewing only cemented this view for me. It worked even more for me the second time. In the beginning he's a man who's made some horrible mistakes and spiralled to his lowest ebb. He has to learn to accept his failures and to learn from them instead of giving up, as Yoda says. It also ties in with the theme of growing older. You don't have to look very far in life to find people who were once optimistic that have become bitter and jaded by life's disappointments. The way that's been tied in with Luke's understanding of the failures of the Jedi order only plays more into him going that route. Rey's coming is the thing that stirs him to one final act of heroism to keep the spark alive.

His death was about the best send off I could have hoped for him. It was so fitting having him fade staring into twin suns. In that moment the Luke that we knew had come back, having made the ultimate sacrifice to keep the Jedi order and the Rebellion alive. It's a beautiful story honestly, about how it's okay to fail as long as you don't give up hope. I think some people are confused about why he had to die as a result of the projection, but it was established by Kylo during the Force connection scenes that the effort to project yourself across space like that would kill most people. Luke was powerful enough to do it in a much more direct way and interact with multiple people as well as stall out a battle. This clearly shows him as the most powerful Jedi ever, which is what people wanted. I loved his line to Kylo 'If you strike me down in anger I'll always be with you, just like your father.' His whole confrontation at the end there was very much in character with ROTJ Luke, for me.

11-4D, yanote, B3 and 2 others like this.
  17. CommanderL

CommanderL Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 25, 2015

Well great job Johnson
    lukes journey is not worth ****
    because you butchered his charcter and removed what should have been his crowing achivement
    and your going to hand it onto another charcter, that has not earnt the right

you got handed an iconic charcter and you wiped your arse with him to promote a newer one
    I hope the fan backlash gets your trilogy **** canned

18. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Luke learned compassion; the way of the Jedi. That’s how he saved Anakin.
    The Jedi of old also knew compassion, including those who ultimately gave in to fear. Such as Mace Windu. There’s a prime example of a prominent Jedi Master who, when push came to shove, abandoned what he stood for and rationalized murder with “He’s too dangerous to be left alive”. I know some fans believe Mace was in the right, but I know for a fact that GL doesn’t think so. He deliberately put Mace in a situation that would cause him to go against the Jedi code, which would give Anakin ample reason to believe that the Jedi were corrupt.
    Mace lost faith in the democracy he was serving and gave in to his fear of Sith dominance, so he tried to kill the spider in the web as it was lying there unarmed, before it could cause any more harm.

This happened to a leading member of the Jedi Council; a compassionate Jedi Master who was second only to Yoda.
    To think that Luke, or anyone else, would be above such failures is unrealistic. Yes, he saved his father with faith and compassion, but he did so years after Darth Vader had happened; years after the rise of the Empire. With Ben, he saw a possibility to stop such hell before it had a chance to break loose. He feared the future he sensed in his nephew and momentarily gave in to that fear, just like Mace had done back in the day. Unlike Mace, however, he quickly overcame that fear.
    Hell still broke loose, though... because he had considered stopping it and then changed his mind.
    It’s understandable that he would view the Jedi as “too dangerous to be left alive” after having repeated the mistakes of his predecessors.

It’s all very tragic, human and, to me, perfectly believable.

19. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    Hey lets all remember that this is a group effort - Rian couldn't have proceeded in this direction without the backing of KK and JJ (as well as the story group). Up to a week ago, they were (and probably still are) "very pleased" with what Rian made.

Lulu Mars - had he NOT ignited his lightsabre (even momentarily), I would have bought it. But no - he is DIRECTLY responsible for Han and Leia's kid running off to Snoke and worse, he seems to have done nothing to make ammends for it. Before the film came out, when Kylo's redemption arc was discussed, I was sure that of all the characters, Luke would be the one to still believe in the good in him. I was obviously very, very mistaken.

20. OGGUNGAN

OGGUNGAN Jedi Master

Dec 8, 2014
    If you were the last jedi and you teaching a new group of jedi what would you do if one of your students turned to the darkside? I would think he was thinking of the safty of his students. A choice he didn't want to make

21. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    A choice that a PT era Jedi would have made. Luke, by the end of ROTJ emphatically rejects this when he tosses his lightsabre away and refuses to kill Vader. He sees the good in Vader even after all of his mentors tell him to give up and lie to him, to get him to murder his father. To go from this Luke, to one that turns up in his sleeping nephew's bedside on account of "visions"... and to IGNITE the sabre rather than ya know - actually trying to talk to the kid. no. This a very different character and one we are now expected to live with.

All I can now hope for is that they really SHOW us what Kylo ends up becoming as Supreme Renperor to justify Luke's extreme reaction. Given what Vader and Palpatine had done, he has a long way to go.

griffon2k likes this.
  22. Marcus9000

Marcus9000 Jedi Knight

Dec 16, 2017
    Sorry, I disagree.

It was lame.

Let Luke go in person to Crait and die a heroic death.

Not a lame death on a rock.

It now ruins the Binary Sunset from ANH.

Luke dies a broken man, a failure.

Sorry, but I think that’s unacceptable to me and thousands like me. Luke deserved a send off. Star Wars is fantasy, wish fulfilment. But no, Rian Johnson couldn’t even give us that.

It’s a travesty, an abomination. There couldn’t be a worse end to Luke’s story.

23. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    And I respect your right to disagree. Life would be boring without different opinions. I

I'm sorry the character didn't work for you.

I loved it.

Marcus9000 and DarthBane93 like this.
  24. Tycalibur

Tycalibur Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 26, 2001

So Luke's main journey ended in ROTJ. Ok. And? There was still no reason to end the character's life to give it alleged 'meaning' in this film.

25. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    I am totally ok with RJ and KK saying Luke's hero journey is done with at ROTJ. Great...fine. You have new characters - let them do the heavy lifting the main story is about them. Totally agree - even though I think Luke could still play a minor physical role - but thats ok.

What isn't acceptable is that you change the core foundation of who Luke was from the beginning - despite the failures of the Jedi. He was better than all of them because of his traits - and erasing that just damages the development of that character. Some life lessons stay with you forever. If you can redeem Darth Vader himself - you just give up on Kylo?...and he actually had a history with raising his nephew....no of that makes sense. And what about Leia also giving up on her son....wow....reminds me of Padme just giving up the will to live.

I also thought that the new point of him searching for the first Jedi temple was so he could learn something new about the Force. He does mention Jedi hypocrisy and how they shouldn't get involved - that could have been an interesting story point to be expanded upon...but nope...one line and thats it. What about balance? - between the light and the dark? These concepts were just marketing tools to get one interested....it really went nowhere. Luke learned nothing new about the Force.

I dont care about his new force projection power - what new insight into the Force did he learn? This is just a new Jedi mind trick. What exactly did he pass on to Rey? He didn't train her in anything except reach out with your feelings. Thats it? She already has that "spark in her", the hero in her, and to do the right thing.

So his sacrifice really isn't going to teach Rey anything. He failed in exactly the only request Yoda asked him to do - and Yoda repeated it in the movie again - pass on what you have learned. He didn't pass anything on to Rey. She will now just take the Jedi texts and learn some basics from those.

Side note if anyone can tell me as I am just trying to remember; What 3 lessons did he teach Rey? 1st one was the reach out with your feelings. What was the 2nd and 3rd one again?...I am honestly just trying to remember.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.