main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sightie

Sightie Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 13, 2015
    I've been a fan since the last 80's and after the 100% spoiled TFA I decided to go into this movie completely unspoiled. I'm glad I did and I loved this movie, I've read speculation threads and clips and I'm glad none of that happened. Luke was very much human in this movie and that my friends is a good thing. Overpowered Luke would have made the whole sequel trilogy unnecessary.

2. Tiberius.Ogden

Tiberius.Ogden Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 6, 2016
    Hey guys,

one thing is express sadness, anger or alternative proposals for our beloved character, second thing is do at least something.
    Lucasfilm executives said many times that they care about fans and want to interact with them, because these movies are for fans, for us.
    Ok. But it should work reciprocally.

So I've done at least something. I've tweeted to Star Wars, Rian Johnson and Pablo Hidalgo my thoughts and feelings in two sentences. And supportive comment to Mark.

Impact will be minimal, maybe zero, but try to do it as well. You will feel better, but mainly, people should communicate. ;o) [:D]

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If you're really displeased, the only real option is to hit them in the pocket.

4. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    The problem is that Lucasfilm approved this idea and it make me think if they already wanted to make it to Luke. We saw what happens to directors who have differents ideas of KK & Lucasfilm story group

Marcus9000, MS1 and T-R- like this.
  5. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    I think the entire problem is that in this "new" trilogy we don't have a clear idea what people is figthing for, there are no clear backstory to understand what is this this New Order and what is this Resistence ( for one, why not regluar New Republic forces confront the NEw Order ? Why some sort of" rebels" are fighting for the the government that succeeded the Empire ?).
    For a caracter like Luke this lack of exposition hurt his arc in the "story/plot" of TLJ. Why was he so angst ? And for what did he sacrifice himself ?

Thinking the "new trilogy sotryline" after this last movie, i don't get why they didn't make the first movie about the new Jedi academy and the events that led Kylo to the dark path. Honestly, that would be the moment to set the arc and tone of Luke in this "new "Trilogy.
    Remembering TFA and them seeing the plot of TLJ, one should ask why Luke was so important to this Resistence and why the New Order wanted him dead so badly ? Well that was the entire point of TFA. That was explicit in the opening scroll of TFA.
    But after watching TLJ what diference someone who "disconnected himself from the Force" would make in the civil war raging the galaxy ?

So I agree with your feelings, but in the the end whta happened to Luke was simply the lack of coherent plotline in this new movies.

DarthBane93 likes this.
  6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    We heard you the first time. Don't spam the threads with the same repeated message. Join the discussion or move along.

heels1785 likes this.
  7. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I have no doubt it is an orchestrated hit on Lucas and his legacy to promote their own crap. Rey is without a doubt a crap character and the perfect trek character trope. This site banned the term but she is exactly an ms

8. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    He was consumed by regret at his own failure with Ben and had walked away from it all. As hinted by Han in TFA.

He sacrificed himself so that the Rebellion and Rey could escape, thus ensuring that he would not be the last Jedi. That was his arc. He started wanting to 'let old things die' like Kylo, wanting to let the Jedi order die, and ended sacrificing himself to preserve it. It was a beautiful story.

9. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    The scene was beautifully done, but at the wrong time and with the wrong setting. Same outcome and same scene, but different set-up:

On planet xy Rey overseas the training of broom kid who gets whiney about not succeeding with lifting the rock. Rey smiles and says that even if you fail, just try it again and again. Then she turns her head because she hears a whisper from outside of the cave. Luke Skywalker is meditating on the rock, then turning his head towards her and acknowleging Rey's appearance, before he peacefully disappears and his cloak flows away.

T-R- likes this.
  10. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    Heading out to do some shopping and was going to see the movie for a second time, but I have changed my mind. I just can't see it again right now. There ARE elements I liked, but I found some things more disturbing and insulting as a fan. I want to do a review, but life calls of course, and have things to do. I'm very mixed and honestly, disappointed in this film. Ive never walked out of a film feeling like this, let alone a Star Wars film. Will share my thoughts in greater detail later.

Don't get me wrong. There are some good moments in this film. Maybe I'll see it later with a different perspective, but I don't know. As I've said before, I went into this with an open mind, knowing and liking the new characters that I know are the main actors in t he story, and that legacy characters would be secondary. I'm clear about that. But the way they went to "clear the way" for the new ones, did absolutely NO justice to the legacy characters nor the new characters with the exception of Kylo. I want him to burn in the next film!!! The disjointed narrative between TFA and TLJ was apparent. Stylistic filmmaking took precedent over deepening these characters further, and giving Luke and Leia a send off that is befitting these iconic characters.

On another note: If you liked the film, that's great. What I find disturbing are the people who now are pouncing on other posters because they didn't like it. It's called freedom of speech and that more than ever needs to be protected. Let people say what they need to say.

More thoughts on this another time.

11. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    His age and his prior experiences are what make me feel like it's a contrivance though. I don't get how I supposedly wanted him to be emotionless.

I think it's due to a lot of fans of TLJ (and by extension, the sequel trilogy) engaging in armchair psychology in order to discredit those who critique it. It's sad but that's how it is, unfortunately.

Demsa Aztor likes this.
  12. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Exactly. I also find the hypocrisy annoying. The same people that use rt user scores to "prove" that tfa was great or that the pt was hated now want to dismiss the score for tlj. They need to accept that a lot of people hate it

13. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Exactly. I also find the hypocrisy annoying. The same people that use rt user scores to "prove" that tfa was great or that the pt was hated now want to dismiss the score for tlj. They need to accept that a lot of people hate it

Rickleo123 likes this.
  14. prlrocks

prlrocks Jedi Master star 2

Jun 15, 2009
    This is why I am not going again even though I've had two different people say they want to go with me. I didn't dislike everything about this film. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Poe and there were scenes (most towards the end) that I really appreciate and even love (Luke and Leia scene). Part of me wants to see what I liked again, but I'm not willing to give my money over to people who messed up so bad with other things (Luke's background and Rey having zero development or motivation that makes sense).

Proper Luke characterization is Star Wars 101. This movie failed Star Wars 101.

15. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    All my worst fears came true when I saw this. A total butchering of Luke Skywalker. I would have forgiven the misguided condition Luke was in HAD Rian not included the terrible flashback where Luke tried to KILL KYLO and that was the turning point of him going to Snoke and the entire Temple massacre. SERIOUSLY? Why in gods name did he think this would be acceptable? Luke is now the reason for the First Order's rise and he nearly committed an act of family murder.

Even worse we see Luke return to face Kylo but he's too cowardly to hop on his X-Wing (which they show in the water) and instead projects a hologram of himself. What a giant cop out? Ugh. I officially HATE Rian Johnson and I'm disappointed in Mark Hammil for going against his instincts and just accepting this horribly written script.

16. MJ-100

MJ-100 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2015
    What is also frustrating to me is to think that they could have easily gave us a better excuse to why Luke gave up. Luke giving up = Luke letting people dying (The Resistance) which is so not okay...But moving on, I understand that they needed to have a 'broken Jedi' arc for Luke (otherwise Rey would have been useless) but I found the reason so disrespectful to Luke's character.

I'm not even going to talk about Luke thinking about killing his unarmed nephew, just to why he gave up on the whole galexy. What I understood is that, he failed his nephew and couldn't move on from that one failure. This is such a weak excuse considering how Luke acted in the OT.

I think what would have worked best for Luke was being a grieving parent. He lost a child and grieving, chose to close himself from the Force. That story, I could have understand it. That kind of grief is so painful that anyone could have understand, to some level, why he gave up.
    It would have even made his relationship with Rey more meaningful.

And I would have understand why Leia was so chill about this new Luke. She lost her son to the Dark side (twin parallel) so she understood Luke's behavior. Luke giving up The Resistance and Leia being so chill about it, doesn't make sense considering Leia's personality either.

17. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Same, I will never watch it again. Its a terrible feeling knowing there is a new SW movie in theatres and not wanting to go and watch it. I even saw Attack of the Clones several times. Not this one.

18. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    well considering his characterization over i dunno the last 3 and only 3 films he was in..(TFA does not count) you would think luke could use logic, his experience with ESSENTIALLY THE SAME CIRCUMSTANCES to figure out a plan for how to handle his nephew's dark feelings/future. it was pretty joke worthy. Rey acts more like Luke than Luke does in this film. she is the one who calls luke out on making Kylo's choice for him. thats something OT Luke woulda said. but TLJ luke is a completely different character so none of that comes into play here. its honestly like the worst of fan fiction.

xezene, griffon2k, jimkenobi and 6 others like this.
  19. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    Again, 40-year-fan here. I don’t consider this film canon. In my opinion, this is such an unprecedented disaster, I have no idea what can be done.

What is IX going to be? The Resistance has one ship. Are Rey and Kylo going to Force FaceTime each other for 2 hours? I’m evil, no I’m not, yes I am, no I’m not?

This was a farce and a debacle. You can flame me down to the ground and back, but I am not backing down. This film sucked.

20. Bazookaleffe

Bazookaleffe Jedi Master star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    It's ironic that Disney's/Lucasfilm's plan is that the OT characters shouldn't overshadow the new characters. And imo, Leia, Luke nor Han didn't overshadow the new characters in neither TFA or TLJ. Instead emo-Luke and Superman-Leia are the most post-discussed topics after TLJ. Ironic.

21. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    It's not my thinking (credit to the Wampa's Lair podcast) but I found it fascinating none the less. Luke makes no attempt to bring back Ben because he knows that he is the cause of Ben's hatred. Kenobi could never have brought back Anakin because he was the source of his hatred. It required someone else to do it. Luke is perhaps the only person that could never bring Ben come back. And that is what eats away at Luke the most. It's the greatest challenge the character has ever faced, and at the end he accepts his part in the creation of Kylo Ren but also accepts that it was Ben's choice too.

22. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    Seriously, Snoke killing Luke's wife and kids and Luke having to deal with that sort of loss would have actually MADE sense. Way more than I'm going to kill my unarmed nephew cause I have a bad feeling about his future. WHAT IN THE FREAK>>>

I won't watch this again, certainly not in theaters. It was riddled with plot holes. The entire Canto Bight scene was useless filler.

23. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Once people get over their bitterness they'll be able to appreciate Luke's new arc. Maybe not like it, but appreciate it. When Luke was about to burn the Tree, it was heart wrenching. After being found by Rey, attempting to instill lessons to her and her having disappoint him, Luke finally broke. Rey reminded him of Ben. That rekindled Luke's admonition towards himself and the Jedi Order. Before this, there was still something deep inside him which wanted to at least preserve a way for the Jedi to return even if he died the as the last jedi for generations. Now he reached rock bottom. Luke could have torched the tree at any time. He could have. Him finally trying to burn the ancient tree after all this time represented him giving up fully. Once he reached his lowest point, he was opened to change. Yoda swept in at this point and hit him with some harsh lessons. From then on, the Luke from Return of the Jedi returns.

24. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    As far as RT, I treat them as I do every critic, set my opinion on ignore. I may not always be as tactful as I'd like, but I am trying to understand both sides. And as a Luke fan, am very glad I've gone numb to this movie, so when I actually see it in 8 days I'll be cool as a cloner on Kamino (or is that wet?)

Demsa Aztor likes this.
  25. MJ-100

MJ-100 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2015
    It would also make Luke reconsider the Jedi way you know, since he had a kid which is supposed to be forbidden. Thanks to the "Luke lost his kid" storyline, we could have had Luke building a new order of Jedi with new rules, with Rey by his side. I mean, back in the prelogy even Anakin thought the Jedi ways had issues. It would have close the circle. I'm gonna need someone to write a story like this about Luke because it works much more that what TLJ gave us.

Rickleo123 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.