main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyberfreak

Kyberfreak Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 3, 2017
    I'm glad that Rey and Luke will become friends. We need something positive now after losing Han Solo in 7, and Carrie IRL.

2. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    We still have Luke, Chewbacca, R2 and C-3PO as links to the classic trilogy. We need them to stay around now.

3. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yes please [face_praying]

4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    I loved the job Harrison did in TFA, but that is kind of an insult CEB . Harrison did a great job in 42, with an accent so good you did not even recognize him as the actor. He was also great in Age of Adeline.

5. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    It not an insult to say it was his best performance. I didnt say he hasn't given another good performance. Just that TFA was his best

Revanfan1 likes this.
  6. Jedi Dave

Jedi Dave Jedi Knight

Nov 13, 2015
    I watched ESB the other day, and with the in-universe death of Han Solo, and the in-universe fate of Leia in the air for now after her out-of-universe passing, the following exchanges hit my ear in a different way:

Luke: Will they die?

Yoda: [closes his eyes for a moment] Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future.

Luke: I've got to go to them.

Yoda: Decide you must, how to serve them best. If you leave now, help them you could; but you would destroy all for which they have fought, and suffered.

And:

Yoda: Stopped they must be; on this all depends. Only a fully trained Jedi Knight, with the Force as his ally, will conquer Vader and his Emperor. If you end your training now - if you choose the quick and easy path as Vader did - you will become an agent of evil.

Obi-Wan: Patience.

Luke: And sacrifice Han and Leia?

Yoda: If you honor what they fight for? Yes.

I've begun to wonder, if as time has gone by, that this now applies to the Sequel Trilogy. Did Luke, by not finishing his training, become an agent of evil? Did Luke bring these things about? Not overtly, but perhaps in that he was manipulated into it, or because he did not heed Yoda's and Obi-Wan's advice? The road to hell being paved with good intentions, and all that. Yoda told him he did not require more training, but was that simply in reference to facing Vader and the Emperor, or did he mean that he needed no further training at all to restore the Jedi Order? I feel it's the former.

Furthermore, is the ST more of his (Luke's) Hero's Journey, specifically:

Refusal of the Return
    Having found bliss and enlightenment in the other world, the hero may not want to return to the ordinary world to bestow the boon onto his fellow man. (Did Luke's failure lead him to isolate himself? It clearly isn't bliss, which deconstructs this, but enlightenment might fit. Did he restrain himself from coming to their rescue this time, because he now honors what they fight for more than he loves them?)

Leading to:

Rescue from Without
    Just as the hero may need guides and assistants to set out on the quest, often he or she must have powerful guides and rescuers to bring them back to everyday life, especially if the person has been wounded or weakened by the experience. (Is Rey the instrument of this, making HER the macguffin that we believed Anakin's Lightsaber or to be?)

And bringing us to:

The Crossing of the Return Threshold
    The trick in returning is to retain the wisdom gained on the quest, to integrate that wisdom into a human life, and then maybe figure out how to share the wisdom with the rest of the world. (Will this be our "Luke Skywalker: Big Damn Hero" moment?)

All things equal, I do believe I'd enjoy the heck out of that.

titansupes and Gigoran Monk like this.
  7. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    What it's an inspiring and heroic death, ala Jyn Erso?

8. Tiberius.Ogden

Tiberius.Ogden Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 6, 2016
    If she isn't Skywalker, then the adoption is only hope.

9. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    no thanks, both TFA and RO were already depressing movies regarding such deaths. Another such terrible depressing movie in a row would be simply too much for me. I don't care if Luke has an heroic death in VIII===death is death === no hope :(

T-R-, ChildOfWinds and arjank like this.
  10. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    There was nothing terrible or depressing about either RO or TFA. I found them both to be very uplifting films that made the point that one's death need not be the conclusion of their legacy. In the case of Jyn and Cassian, they brought real hope to the galaxy, despite perishing in the attempt. Makes me re-appreciate loved ones and friends who have passed away fighting for worthy causes.

coolman756, Jedi Jessy and 11-4D like this.
  11. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    That's the point and I don't question that you like this kind of tone in a movie. For me it is exhausting/depressing and doesn't give me any joy, so just not a movie to watch again. That's just how I feel about it, especially RO. I know that I'm not good with handling of death. :(

T-R- and Gigoran Monk like this.
  12. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    Considering the films that RO was aping (Where Eagles Dare, Guns of the Navarone, ect.) in its execution and style, I'm actually impressed with how close to those films it ended up being in the end.

They are about sacrifice for the greater good. There is literally nothing more "hopeful".

These movies are about "war" and always have been...and showing me the rag tag band who has to get the job done against all odds always leaves me feeling more than impressed, and never depressed.

Jedi Jessy and Gigoran Monk like this.
  13. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    as I said people just react completely different to it, I saw nothing hopeful in such a sacrifice, it just left me empty. :(

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  14. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I understand. However, the "hopeful" element of that sacrifice contributes directly to one of the things you love most in Star Wars: the introduction of Luke Skywalker, and his chance to destroy the Death Star and save the galaxy. Without Jyn and Cassian's sacrifice, Luke's story would have never happened. :)

Revanfan1 and nightangel like this.
  15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

I'm not sure I understand this. Maybe it's a cultural thing or maybe it's personal, but I don't understand not seeing the sacrifice in R1 as hopeful. The difference between a death like Han's and deaths like in R1 are that while Han was brutally killed, the heroes of R1 knew the risks and chose to lay their lives down so that others could have victory. Both deaths are meaningful, but whereas Han's was sad, the R1 crew's death instead gives hope because if they hadn't died, those plans never would've gotten to the Rebellion.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    no it would have happened because it's the will of the force.:p

nightangel likes this.
  17. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Since Johnson has stated that VIII will explore why Luke is there and he alluded to family themes of Rey, how will VIII address Luke's importance and Rey's family/background IF Luke is not Rey's father? What are your ideas for VIII in these areas? How much of Rey's backstory will come into play in 8 if she's not Luke's daughter?

nightangel and starocean90 like this.
  18. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Maybe if he knows what happened to Rey's family and probably he can understand Rey better that Han (there's too much responsability in her now and Luke knows how confused is "I was a normal person few hours ago and now I found out I have to save the galaxy!"). A Force connection can be possible too. If MSW is right, Rey will have some problems during her training with Luke:

"[...]This depiction is from a training sequence where Rey is frustrated with Luke’s teachings"

"From what I have heard a few times, Rey is reluctant with (if not angry at) Luke Skywalker because she has to kill Kylo Ren and she doesn’t want to do it. The scene that follows appears to be when the showdown finally begins. I suppose she accepts her duty or has no choice but to fight."

PS: I don't think Rey will kill Kylo (especially if she is his cousin/sister) maybe Snoke will do it. Then the final fight would be between Rey/Luke and Snoke

19. Sable de luz

Sable de luz Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    I cant figure out a reasonable explanation for this. Why the hell wouldnt Luke kill Kylo himself? Theres no need to give the girl such a burden.

20. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    we'll find out that after his Temple was destroyed Luke shaved his head and became a drug kingpin, once his new endeavor failed that's when he actually went to Ach-To.:p

nightangel likes this.
  21. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Perhaps it's a test. Obi-Wan and Yoda wanted Luke to kill Vader, but ultimately his compassion saved the day. Maybe he wants to see if Rey is willing to kill Kylo or if she's more like him, hoping for redemption.

22. Sable de luz

Dec 18, 2015

Ok, but yoda and Obi were not testing luke, they did want him to kill vader. And probably both of them were not fit for the job at that point, specially yoda.
    Theres no why Luke couldnt do this chore himself.

23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

I know Obi-Wan and Yoda were serious, but I'm saying Luke's testing her.

24. Sable de luz

Dec 18, 2015

Ok, now I understand.

Yet Im not so sure Luke thinks theres a redemption path for Ren. He tryed before, and now, he killed Han.

25. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Neither do I actually. I think Kylo will be the one who will kill Snoke, but for entirely different reasons than Vader tossed the Emperor down the shaft. Either:

a: Snoke is like a dark side priest, similar to the Guardians of the Whills for the Jedi, and might be training Kylo to be the new dark side master. Snoke, aka the Supreme Leader of the First Order is an ancient sect who's missions to protect the dark side lineage. One trained he'll tell Kylo that the last test is to kill Snoke and finish what Anakin had started - to be ruler of the galaxy. Kylo will oblige.

b: Snoke is some ancient evil dark side figure who's weak and half destroyed and literally sucks the life force out of force-users to stay alive. He wants to be powerful once more, stay alive, and once finished with Kylo's training he'll toss him away. Kylo realizes this and kills him in his sleep. Kylo becomes the master and finishes what Anakin started.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.