main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    He's no longer the main writer of SW. He's no longer a writer on SW. They don't even consult him any longer. He didn't write TFA, he didn't write TLJ, he won't write E9 or anything beyond. He gone.

Now we've heard rumors that Luke is going to return the Jedi to their former glory prior to their corrupted state in the PT (Anakin was part of this corruption). Myself and others here have been making that argument for a year or two now.

So Luke is going to fundamentally change the Jedi as we know them in order to bring balance back to the Force. This makes Luke much more of a Chosen One than any other character in SW.

Destroying the Sith did not balance the Force. All Anakin did was throw Palpatine down a shaft, and he couldn't have done it without Luke. He was too psychologically weak on his own. Why? Because he's selfish and evil. In fact, the ST is playing his evil side up -- it's Darth Vader's legacy that looms large in the ST. Luke is still dealing with Anakin's failure.

It's crystal clear who the most important Saga character is. And Lucas has nothing to do with it. He's not even sure what the story is anymore. What happened to Anakin's grandchildren?

ChildOfWinds and nightangel like this.
  2. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    why does 'the chosen one' = most important? why do people decide this?

3. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    This is kind of strange question. To suggest that one is chosen over others indicates importance: it's built right into the term.

Chosen, not chosen. One term is privileged, the other not.

And beyond the structural meaning we have the cultural and psychological associations that accompany the concept.

The real question is why people are now denying the concept's importance. Lucas never meant there to be any irony in the term; he really believed that Anakin was the most pivotal character in the Saga and GFFA.

But some fans feel uncomfortable with this idea, yet they are unwilling to follow this discomfort to its logical and ethical ends.

nightangel likes this.
  4. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011

Luke's importance and impact does not mean he is the Chosen One or that Anakin isn't. Anakin is still the prime mover in all that Luke accomplishes, by destroying the Sith and (possibly) bringing balance to the Force. Anakin is akin to Jesus, whilst Luke is akin to St Peter.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  5. ColdLazarou

ColdLazarou Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    Can we keep fictional characters out of the discussion of Star Wars, please?

LordDallos likes this.
  6. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I know this is tongue-in-cheek, but let's be respectful.

ColdLazarou likes this.
  7. ColdLazarou

ColdLazarou Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    Yes, sorry about that - no offence intended. Tongue firmly in cheek. Theology dissertation in tatters.

Comparative mythology-wise, it's a good analogy i suppose. Does this make Ben/Kylo Saul/Paul? Taking the legacy of the 'Chosen One' but perverting it for his own ends? With the stuff in the other thread making it sound like Luke has found the equivalent of the Jedi Dead Sea Scrolls, and discovering that all that he may have learned was wrong and/or a twisted account of the original uncorrupted Jedi code and trying to get back to the original teachings, this could all be very interesting.

I now have an analogy in my head of the Skywalkers as some sort of GFFA desposyni, but that seems a bit odd. Until i think about Lucas' early SW drafts, which included many 'sons of the Skywalker'.

It's too early for this kind of stuff. I'm going to drink some coffee and have a think about this.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  8. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    I am not sure that we can determine GL did not intend to retcon the "chosen one". He had plans for a ST, we may get to see his outline for it one day too. We had Yoda saying that they may of mis-read the prophecy in the PT for example. The same Yoda along with OWK who withdrew from the fight to oversee the safe upbringing of Luke and Leia yet not training them until the force willed it.

Personally I can easily see Luke becoming the true chosen one, the one who re-invents the Jedi as they should be and should've been. I also do not rule out that it was GL intention all along if he ever decided to do a third trilogy. I know it works for Anakin to be the chosen one if it is a 6 part series, but it is not anymore, its at least 9. If Luke is made to be the chosen one i'll be very surprised if it was not part of GL vision.

ChildOfWinds, arjank and nightangel like this.
  9. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015
    Chosen One or not, without Luke the Sith wouldn't have been destroyed. Luke is the one who, on the very last moment, brought Anakin back to the light.

10. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    except:

A.) as of the Yoda Arc, GL seemed to be changing his mind

B.) Lucas isn't involved anymore

C.) as of TFA, balance is not achieved because the Jedi need to return 1st

Dra--- and nightangel like this.
  11. Darth Nikean

Darth Nikean Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 30, 2016
    ? Star Wars is fictional

12. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    if luke gets full credit for that, then palpatine gets full credit for anakin turning to the dark side and so he was purely a victim. (i.e. denying anakin's agency in one instance denies it in the other)

13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    1 through 6 are still their own story and haven't been contradicted

14. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    1 through 6 are the foundation upon which all other Star Wars stories are based.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

15. Korr Sella

Korr Sella Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 1, 2016
    Death of the Author. If someone wants to interpret the Saga with Luke is the Chosen One not Anakin, there's nothing in the text that says he isn't.

I think it's Anakin, but only on a technicality.

ColdLazarou and Dra--- like this.
  16. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Other Helpful Links:

• Star Wars Celebration Stage Schedule (coming Friday!)

So tomorrow the panel times will be up for Celebration. Seems like Mark won't do a panel and if he is there at all, only for a short appearance at 40th anniversary and TLJ panel, hmmm. [face_nail_biting]

17. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  18. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

because someone has to deliver a star destroyer's worth of exposition :D Glad to hear Luke's role is pivotal (though we knew that.)

ChildOfWinds, Dra--- and nightangel like this.
  19. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Given that Hamill uses words in TLJ, he better get an Academy Award nomination.

20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Nomination? If he doesn't win the award for Best Performance Ever I'm protesting!

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  21. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I hope he has a lot of talking in 9 as well. To have again a loney FS fighter against the evil would be a bit boring

nightangel likes this.
  22. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    If he doesn't, it's clearly an example of J.J. Abram's bias against Luke Skywalker [face_shame_on_you]:rolleyes:[face_sigh]

Oh, eh, sorry... I thought I was in 2015 for a moment.

23. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    I'm just not buying the 'grey' Jedi thing. This discussion goes all the way back to rumors about Qui-Gon before TPM. People took speculation that he was a 'rogue' Jedi to mean he flirted with the Dark Side, and nothing could have been further from the truth. He simply didn't always agree with the Council and had no qualms about doing his own thing. That didn't make him grey. For a Jedi to be grey, there has to be a pull to darkness. We never saw that in Jinn. We saw it in Anakin during the Tusken Raider massacre, and later when he executed Count Dooku. And then he turned to darkness fully.

I would say Luke briefly flirted with the Dark Side when dueling Vader in ROTJ, similar to Obi-Wan during his duel with Maul. That doesn't make either of them a 'grey' Jedi. I never saw any 'grey' Jedi apart from Anakin.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  24. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    we will see and makes me worry. For US guys everything is amazing, inspiring, outstanding etc... [face_worried]

25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

I think that kind of worry is unnecessary. Obviously they have to say it's good because who wouldn't, but on the other hand, it would be eyeroll-worthy if they used words like "outstanding," because people would say "Oh, they're just trying to hype their own movie; they'd say that no matter what." The point is, we're never going to be able to guess how good a move's going to be based on an exec's statement, and worrying a movie will be bad because an exec doesn't sound excited enough is just as silly as expecting it to be the best movie ever because an exec sounds super excited.

In short: it'll be fine, life will go on, TLJ will be an enjoyable movie for some and not for others, no matter how good it actually is. So there's no need to worry as of yet (or at all). It's just a movie. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.