main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    exactly my thoughts as well and I look forward to see young blood as well as the older generation in the upcoming movies. What I most look forward to is the interaction between them, because the new heroes can learn so much from our previous heroes. We all get older and what makes a society richer is how you treat all ages. ;)

Valairy Scot and ChildOfWinds like this.
  2. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    For two reasons:

1. Mark was reluctant to come back for this series so I highly doubt he'd come back for the next. So having him live in this series would make people want him in the next series. So it seems logical and kinda pre-determined that he will die in this series.

2. I don't have a lust for the old heroes to die. I just think it's time to move on from the old stories and focus solely on the new. I don't see Mark wanting to stick around for another trilogy and he's been consistent in saying this is about the new heroes. Luke being a ghost isn't a retread it's just how things happen in Star Wars. You saw Yoda as a ghost and you will most likely see him as a ghost in this movie too. Does that make it a retread? It just wouldn't make sense for a jedi to die and not come as a ghost. I was explaining a way to allow Mark's exit while still making it so he can make appearances if he wanted to in the next series. I don't see luke living and having a big role in the next series, so a force ghost is a perfect way to allow him to come back but make it be limited.

The real question is why is it wrong for me to have this opinion? Why does Luke HAVE to stick around till 10/11/12? By the end of these movies Rey will be the new hero of this series ( she already is ) and she will be the next generations Luke....and like what happened in the OT....Obi sacrificed himself and Yoda died. It ALWAYS happens like that.... Obi's master died too in the first prequel.....etc.

Do any of you think Mark Hamil actually wants to stick around for another series? Ask yourself that and then think how is the best way to get out of doing that? I'm going by logic not emotion. I like Luke as much as all of you, he is/was my favorite character. If I had my way none of the characters would die but that's foolish they're trying to tell a story they want to tell. There's a very real possibility the story they're trying to tell will end with our last hero dying. It's a real possibility.

Training Rey - Rey is being trained in this movie. By the end of this series why would she still need training? She'll have fought off Snoke or Kylo and had her true tests as a jedi.

Rebuild Jedi Order - Why can't Rey be the person to do that? Why can't she be the leader? People sound frustrated that I'm happy to let the new characters be the main heroes and not have to hold onto the past.

Luke die of old age - I never said he couldn't do that but I think it'd be within this series as again...I don't see Mark sticking around for another series.

ManWithoutAStar likes this.
  3. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Well. I can't wait to see Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker in TLJ & Ep. IX. After that. I don't know. I don't think about the next (possible) trilogy just yet.

4. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    this is so funny. i think that if luke dies it will be because it's part of the story they are trying to tell. if luke is alive all trilogy and it ends with luke being alive, what is wrong with that? why is that a problem? lol.

5. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    Depending on how they do it, I am fine with either outcome

6. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    I understand that maybe Mark doesn't want to appear in the next trilogy or he is not sure what capacity may be possible (a Spock like cameo etc.) But this doesn't need to be resolved with Luke dying. After everything is resolved in IX, Luke may either turn to a teacher only, or fade into the sunset and becomes a myth etc. His death doesn't need to be seen onscreen for Mark and LFL to have this freedom to decide about a Luke cameo in the SST. And noone is even thinking about more than a cameo for Luke in the next trilogy. This can happen in ghost form, in grandmaster as teacher only form or as a Fulcrum like myth figure who appears from time to time. ;)

starocean90, ChildOfWinds and oncafar like this.
  7. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    We've already had a son redeeming a father's sins, if a daughter/neice/friend/whatever was to do the same for a dead Luke it would be repetitive and just silly...it would just make no sense other than an easy and extremely lazy way to push Rey beyond Luke.

Snoke isn't scared of Luke for no reason and it should be Luke who faces Snoke in the final chapter...

8. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    I'm not saying it NEEDS to be, I'm saying it's most likely going to be. Luke being alive will only make people go ....why isn't he more featured in 10...in 11...etc. Where's Luke? Why can't he be in it more? He's the OG!!!....etc.

If Mark doesn't want to come back the best way to avoid issues like that is for the character to die. That's a reality, it's not necessarily what I want but if they want to move the series on completely from the Skywalker storyline which they may do....then that's the way they will probably do it. Would I enjoy Luke riding off into the sunset alive? Sure! However, I'm not against the very real reality that Luke will sacrifice himself for something greater like the many heroes from before.

9. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    But won't that lead to a contingent of Luke fans complaining about Luke's absence in the face of galactic conflict in X-XII?

10. Mandalore Rising

Mandalore Rising Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 5, 2017
    1. I beg to differ: https://www.buzzfeed.com/arianelang...bout-star-wars?utm_term=.dg53w8Okg#.de8m46wV9

2. Okay I see we are still on the ghost thing. Let me try this way and it might be clearer: Who trained Luke in ESB? Obi-Wan was a ghost, why couldn't he train him then? Lucas even said that the reason he created Yoda was because Obi-Wan could not train him as a ghost. I'm sure I'm never going to understand the "Luke has to be a ghost" thing. Why not have him fight next to Rey? A Luke VS Snoke while Rey faces Kylo doesn't sound like it would be cool?

And one more thing: it's not wrong for you to have this opinion. We are having a discussion, that I s all. If what I am saying comes across as "NO! You must agree with me!!!" Then I apologize. I also think you might misunderstand my intention. Rey IS the hero of this story, but that doesn't mean Luke can't fight with or mentor her. I don't see how that hurts her story at all.

On training Rey: Imagine this after Obi-Wan finished training Anakin, should they have killed Obi-Wan off? Of course he had responsiblties in later movies, but let's imagine those don't exist. Would it have made sense to kill Obi-Wan then? I say no.

The New Jedi Order: I hate to answer your question with a question, but why can't it be Rey and Luke rebuild the order? I don't get why Rey has to be the last Jedi to rebuild the order all by herself. By the way, we've been there, done that as well as Luke rebuilt the order by himself.

Luke dies of old age: I don't know where all this Marks is not up for more movies thing comes from. We are already losing Leia, no reason why Luke can't be the one to make it to the finish line. The fact that u expect it to happen is all more the reason it should happen: it would be a surprise.

starocean90 and nightangel like this.
  11. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    nope, it will leave room for stories to fill in novels etc. and Luke retreats to a background character after IX. I have zero problems with it, but I have million of problems seeing his death onscreen. :(

12. Mandalore Rising

Mandalore Rising Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 5, 2017

Darth Nikean and nightangel like this.
  13. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I wouldn't have a problem with it either. I like the idea of Luke becoming a wandering figure that pops up occasionally to offer wisdom, but is otherwise removed from Galactic conflict (ala the Bendu). But I do foresee a number of fans complaining about Luke doing nothing, etc. I mean, there's clear precedent for those sort of complaints...

nightangel likes this.
  14. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    did it happen with Nimoy in Star Trek? I don't think so and everyone was fine with his cameo appearance. [face_dunno]

15. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    It didn't. But I think you're forgetting how loudly some fans complained about Luke being off on his own in TFA, and not helping against the FO. What makes you think those complaints would die down in the next trilogy? Simply his age?

Revanfan1 and nightangel like this.
  16. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    just because of the terrible backstory for Luke between ROTJ and TFA, so everyone wants to see Luke coming back. It would be completely different if IX ends on a positive and hopeful note. So this means we know Luke made a comeback to set things right and so he now can fade into the background and the new heroes story can be told. ;)

17. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Luke will not die [face_praying]

Mandalore Rising and nightangel like this.
  18. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    That would work just fine for me (and for you, it seems). Not sure if all hardcore Lukers will see it that way, however!

nightangel likes this.
  19. fuhry

fuhry Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 20, 2015
    Confirmed: HE WILL DISCOVER THE SECRET

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  20. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016

me: everything need to make sense. The storyline need to b-

Lucasfilm: we'll make Luke a vampire, then he'll never die

me:
    [​IMG]

21. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    He was excited in 2013 when everyone was signing on means he's excited to commit to another series after this one? You know, he also said that he'd only sign on if Carrie and Harrison were also. I think you guys are really reaching with this stuff, i'd be happy if Mark continued on as well but I expect that not to be the case.

Your second point I don't understand at all. Rey gets trained by Luke in EPISODE 8. He does fight alongside her, and he might even fight along side her again in 9. I'm saying I expect Luke to die in this series at some point. Maybe in one of those confrontations you speak of...like against Snoke. I'm just not getting what you guys are saying. You act like I said Luke should die in the opening scene of VIII, and not participate in anything with Rey. I never said that at all. I said, I don't expect Luke to continue on into the NEXT series....by next series I mean.. Episode 10/11/12. I don't think that's too unbelievable. Han Solo's character is gone and with Carrie's passing I don't really see Mark wanting to stick along past his obligations. He seemed pretty damn content as a voice actor and he's made plenty of jokes as I said about hoping Ford would say no to this so he could. Lol

Darth Nikean likes this.
  22. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    and as I said, Luke doesn't need to die for this onscreen. He can just fade into the background. Maybe at the end of IX he has a position that he doesn't want to fight anymore, so he leaves it to the new generation to make the right choices. But if Mark feels ok with it in 5-10 years, he can do a short cameo in the SST or not if he doesn't want to do it. But for me everything is better than if Luke is dead. :(

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  23. Darth Nikean

Darth Nikean Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 30, 2016
    May be it's coming from all the actors in Hollywood around50 and 70 years old lately are dropping like flys lately I hope he doesn't I'll die

24. Darth Nikean

Darth Nikean Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 30, 2016
    True that I agree with and with Ford now gone and Carries passing I don't see him wanting to go on from here almost everyone he started with is gone Peter want be on set pretty soon Anthony might not be up for it either even Warwick maybe

25. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    but again, it doesn't need to end with Luke dying. I'm just so tired of these kind of depressive movies. :(

ChildOfWinds likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.