main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015

I think he may be part of a final showdown with Snoke.

Demsa Aztor likes this.
  2. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    He might be but I'm not sure I see that as all that exciting. Snoke in his current form is a pretty pathetic figure and I'm thinking it would be a like Luke battling Montgomery Burns. I have to be honest and I really can't imagine where they are going to take Luke's story at this point in time. I do feel JJ just found Luke all to difficult to deal with though and I'm enthused that this doesn't seem to be the case with Rian Johnson. I think its dam gutsy on his behalf at this point in time. Time will tell if successful or not. I sure hope it is.

Big questions in my mind though is whats the cliffhanger for TLJ and whats the conclusion for IX? I assume Rey's family is the conclusion. I suspect Luke's survival is the cliffhanger for TLJ but maybe its Rey.

I sometime wonder if things we expect might be turned on their heads. ie Maybe the Walker like scene that I'm critical of in the trailer is reversed from TESB and the Walkers are defending a position thats being attacked by the resistance for example. I then also wonder if Luke will discover Snoke is someone important and will fight to defend/save him. Who knows.

lawton and Demsa Aztor like this.
  3. DashRender90

DashRender90 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 20, 2015

I also remember him pitching to George that Luke should turn evil in Return of the Jedi, only to turn near the end or some junk.

Like maybe Mark Hamill's vision of Luke arent the best ideas...

4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    As a fan who thinks deeply about character, I especially enjoy when an actor who digs playing a character comes up with his / her own ideas of what the character could do, I love that. Personally, I liked the Han idea and I respect how outspoken Mark can be. I also understand how that may not work and that some fans might think negatively about it.

Any actor who cares about their characters wants something compelling to do. It makes me respect Mark more that he is willing to trust the director/writer and ultimately enjoy what he initially did not.

5. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015
    You never know but I think Luke dying in a final battle against the big baddie could be done alright as long as lightsabers aren't involved. Maybe some deal where Kylo even assists them taking out Snoke leaving him and Rey in a final lightsaber battle.

6. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016

Well said.

MS1 likes this.
  7. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    It's a discussion thread, not a "you must be blindingly optimistic or positive about everything" thread. If people already have issues with where they've gone with his character, you're not going to be automatically be optimistic just because "well it's the story they chose to tell, so just enjoy the ride." If you think the ride is built on faulty foundations, then you're skepticism comes from a logical place.

This whole idea of "well it's the story that they wanted to tell, so why can't you just be optimistic" is very intellectually stifling TBH. It doesn't matter if it's what they wanted to do, plenty of stories that the writer "wanted to tell" have turned out to be crap/bad ideas. YOU as a fan still can like or dislike it regardless.

Also EXCITEMENT is what you want to be stoking, not controversy. Controversy potentially turns people off/loses you viewers. Excitement does the exact opposite.

Blue 5, ChildOfWinds, MS1 and 2 others like this.
  8. Demsa Aztor

May 29, 2016

a) Completely disagree with your "controversy" comment. Controversy can evoke many emotions that get people to think and talk about a film. e.g. "It's time for the Jedi to end." It may sound ominous and controversial. Guess what? People are driven to want to watch it. With several emotions and for several reasons or we wouldn't have such varying opinions which is good.

b) No one should be "blindingly optimistic or positive" - you're putting words into my mouth. But since, we're on the topic, a discussion thread shouldn't be "blindingly negative" either or see quotes that blatantly tell you things will be different so changes your expectations a bit, but don't want to see if for what it is. You need to go back and reread what I wrote. I also said that *I* myself may dislike the way things go with a character of the film or how the film goes in general. I don't have a problem voicing it. But it's also not the end of the world.

This is the Mark Hamill Luke Skywalker Thread - The good, the bad and the between. Not ALL bad.
    I am a Luke fan. I don't have to abide by a certain criteria for what constitutes a Luke fan nor should anyone else, nor be met with silence because I or someone else doesn't adhere to what 'should' happen in the film. Regardless, I share my thoughts anyway.

c) And the quote, "well it's the story that they wanted to tell, so why can't you just be optimistic". Another misinterpretation. In relation to the former part of the quote, yes, it's the story they wanted to tell. To the latter part of the quote, you can think whatever you want. But when it's more negative than not, I think anyone has the right to say, 'hey, this is a getting bit morbid, but let's look at the positives, too'.

d) Again you're entitled to your opinion as am I. So, let's continue the discussion. The good, the bad and the between.

e) Have a terrific Sunday!

9. Demsa Aztor

May 29, 2016
    nightangel likes this.
  10. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    Jedi Jessy likes this.
  11. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    This week we had 23283 misinformations about this movie lol

12. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    As far as any "controversy" goes, keep in mind that those discussing it are a very small fraction of a minority of people doing so. Literally 99% of the people who will watch TLJ won't have any idea about these supposed controversies leading up to its release. Maybe if something of real substance comes up as it gets closer to release, like for example, the RO reshoots, then it will become a bigger and more well known thing. But none of these supposed controversies have entered or will enter the public opinion-sphere at all. They really don't exist outside of specific threads on the internet and the people discussing it in those threads, really just a handful of people compared to the masses who will eventually go on to see TLJ.

And as far as I'm concerned, when it comes to SW, Hamill is bigger than all of these new players coming into the scene like KK, JJ, RJ, etc. It's like the long standing employee somewhere who has been there far longer than any boss/manager/supervisor has, so they pretty much have the entire run of the place and can do what they want and everybody else who works there knows it as well. So he can act however and say whatever he wants. But still ultimately he will do his job, he'll do it well, and everybody will be satisfied with the result.

13. Demsa Aztor

May 29, 2016

14. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    MotivateR5D4 "And as far as I'm concerned, when it comes to SW, Hamill is bigger than all of these new players coming into the scene like KK, JJ, RJ, etc. It's like the long standing employee somewhere who has been there far longer than any boss/manager/supervisor has, so they pretty much have the entire run of the place and can do what they want and everybody else who works there knows it as well."

I think you really hit on something important here. With GL walking away, Harrison never really wanting it and Carrie passing away for me Mark is the only carrier of the torch as he is grounded in the original dream. Everyone else has just bought into a marketable brand. I think Marks views are spot on most of the time, he knows Luke and he knows Luke is the most beloved of the StarWars characters and there are expectations.

Oddly I think those expectations are much larger than how he was portrayed in individual movies but are the greater legacy that SW became over the last 40 years. I recall reading an article where the Pope discussed the positive message of StarWars to young generations and that Luke Skywalker was a Jesus like figure succeeding in a message of compassion where the Church could not break through. I'm not wanting to use that as a single example cause there are countless others but it gives the scope of what the SW legacy is and to quote "Its so much bigger" than just the movie. When trying to make a new SW blockbuster I doubt, although could be wrong, there is a whole lot of deeper level consideration going into the storyline. I think it was quite purposeful from GL and he was trying to make a wholesome story that didn't murky the relationship between good and evil. I think Mark is very much in tune to Luke's legacy and rightly so.

Ultimately Mark will do everything for the movie to succeed but lets not pretend that the doubts have been caused by him. Those are quite clearly with JJ and TFA. Question now is if RJ brings Luke back into the story and successfully or if Luke continues to be on the periphery. To your point on employees that extents to all the players now. JJ, RJ etc ultimately are all delivering movies where there is oversight to what they do unlike GL who had total control and huge personal risks.

My hat is off to RJ though as I feel he is taking a risk that JJ wasn't prepared to do. I'm giving him every benefit of doubt at the moment as I think he must believe in his vision to have taken the risk of Luke on. If we consider what happened to GL who was a Hollywood legend I dread to think what would happen to a lessor director they were to get the story wrong and indeed I think that frames JJ's cautious approach well.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  15. Contreras1991

Contreras1991 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 18, 2017
    To be honest any director that take star wars, or any big franchise, will be in the eye of the hurricane, where everybody will disect every frame of the movie and story that they want to tell, is not a easy job for them

Demsa Aztor and MS1 like this.
  16. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    True I don't think there is anyone who could assume success before taking on the job. Lucky they are so well paid then. I don't have a whole stack of sympathy for them to be honest.

There is a side of me that misses the lack of new generation GL's and original SciFi. I liked Monsters a lot curiously enough.

17. Contreras1991

Contreras1991 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 18, 2017
    It is one thing to get paid, and another very different is the risk that they take with a project of such a magnitude, since they risk that their career as director become stagnant, due to a disaster, or that their carreer shoots through the air because the great success of their project. I honestly believe that money becomes something secondary to them, when they are under that ammount of pressure.

18. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Agreed and its my point. If RJ or the next get it wrong they may not work again in the industry and could be haunted by crazed fans for the rest of their careers. However their pressures is firmly a 1st world problem and I'm not sure if they are under more pressure than someone working in higher risk professions and that isn't as well paid.

Sorry for the little Segway off topic.

19. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Ah, but will ANY director ever be as prime a target as GL himself?

20. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I'm really mindful of the qty of my posts here but I had to reply as its a good point. I'd say probably not. Lol he could even take the blame again. I don't think this is likely but if the next movies were truly terrible compared to whats been delivered so far then I think the fears of GL selling to Disney would be realised. Then the accusation will be that GL greatest mistake was selling...

But boy I hope that never happens but I also feel there is no likelihood of there being any tolerance allowed for any missteps.

21. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
  22. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    What's that

23. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    watched some movies, did I miss anything important? [face_batting]

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    YES! Everyone here is still confused and cannot agree on much of anything. Go enjoy some more films and come back later. Things will be much the same.

KSennia, Dra---, nightangel and 8 others like this.
  25. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

=D= Bravo! You've perfectly described the story of my life with this particular thread. :p Takes Chorus' sage advice and buggers off to watch more movies.

nightangel and Darth_Voider like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.