main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I am a huge Luke fan, too and I think his character was *perfectly* handled in TFA.

2. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    I am also a huge Luke fan.

Ridley Solo likes this.
  3. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Agreed.

4. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    The handling in TFA is not the main problem for Luke fans, it is his backstory so far. They could have done the same TFA wise without his students slaughtered and him again the only Jedi left.

Master_Lok, ChildOfWinds and T-R- like this.
  5. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    The deeper the angst, the more satisfying the rebirth is how I see it :)

My only re issue, personally, would be if Luke had done anything really morally reprehensible. Which I REALLY doubt.

I like failure and adversity if the character triumphs in the end. I have the feeling the ST will be adding a lot of depth to Luke's character, and that it will ultimately end happily for him.

6. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    not sure what being a huge Luke fan has to do with anything. When it's all a matter of opinion or preferences.

and it's far to early for anyone to be completely satisfied or unsatisfied given as @T-R- said there are still 2 movies left. Will he end up having a good arc or not? Is yet to be seen.

7. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    Well, thing is, we don't know much backstory yet with Luke. And that's on purpose, obviously. They've been building it up since 7, and continue to do so with the mild amount of Luke marketing and his "It's time for the Jedi to end" line. Now, more than ever, fans are wondering 'what is up with Luke Skywalker? What has he been doing for 30 years and why does he want the Jedi to end?' That's all by design because in TLJ we're finally going to get a lot of the answers we've been wondering about regarding Luke. Some things are going to be shocking and may well end up changing the way we interpret the saga as a whole. That's music to my ears =P~.

I don't think his students being slaughtered is as lazy and pointless as many make it seem. It has a narrative purpose to the story, they didn't just put it in there to say 'HAH, look, Luke can't even train his own students properly!' It's an event that has obviously had a tremendous effect on him. It's an event that we're likely going to learn a lot more about during these next 2 films. It also, obviously, plays a lot into Kylo's story and makes fans question what dark side epiphany Kylo had to cause him to commit such a terrible act. Maybe that epiphany plays into some of the shocking things that Luke discovers during his time away on Ahch To.

Also, a little random, but I know many think the whole 'Luke searching for Jedi lore and artifacts for over 25 years' thing is kind of lame, but I don't. This is a Jedi who is basically all alone in the galaxy in terms of learning how to further his connection with the force. He has no one to train him after RotJ. Force ghosts aside, I would imagine Luke would be absolutely clueless about what to do to further his own Jedi training. So he does the only thing that, IMHO, makes perfect sense. He goes to search for artifacts of the past. Knowledge that will help him further his training and possibly help him understand the history of the Jedi/the force. That's a very responsible thing for him to do. He knows virtually nothing about the Jedi's history, so it only makes sense to go and try to expand his knowledge on the past. Maybe find out what went wrong, why things went wrong, and ways to improve.

Demsa Aztor, TK327 and Satipo like this.
  8. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Exactly.

We are are entitled to our opinions, but it wasn't done to give Luke a triumph, it was done because JJ wanted the dynamic of ANH and didn't want Luke to overshadow Rey.

Personally, I took Return of the Jedi to imply the Jedi returned, not to have only one Jedi in hiding 2 movies and 30 years later, with NO Jedi present in VII until the last 30 seconds.

9. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I don't mean to imply that anyone who isn't satisfied is any less of a Luke fan ^_^; Just making the point that it's not nevessarily seen as a negative by all who love the character.

There have been enough indicators, for me, of what the plans for Luke are to make me pretty excited as a fan.

+ There's the fact that Luke = GL's avatar, essentially. Don't think GL's protégée, KK, will allow GL's avatar to actually be shat on, no matter how it may superficially appear now.

I mean...if they wanted to make an ST that was compelling, meaningful, and tied the Saga together, I just can't see them having chosen the old EU route.

Old EU was kind to the OT3. But deep? Profound? Not at all, imo.

And I think from the marketing and the ST's structure, LFL remains deeply invested in the OT3 and the OT as a whole.

TK327 and Satipo like this.
  10. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    but people only speak for themselves. If someone isn't satisfied, then not sure how others feeling the opposite factors in. It's no different than people liking a movie while others not feeling the same about the same movie.

whether KK wants to keep Luke's "integrity" hardly matters if what is done to a character doesn't appeal to someone.

never really read the EU, so I don't have anything to say about that as it means nothing to me.
    I do hope that VIII-IX, makes for an interesting Luke. As everything pre-TFA/TFA isn't that great. I'm on the wait and see group when it comes to Luke. Nor has anyone really said what Luke's plans are. And when you get Hamill and others talking about secrets/dark/twists and turns. I'm not sure what to expect from Luke.

11. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    It's basically saying "We're not just saying it's fine 'cause we don't care about the character."

TK327 and Satipo like this.
  12. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    what about those MSW rumors where Luke wants Rey to kill Kylo? Unless that's a test for Rey, not sure what to think about a Luke who wants his nephew dead.....

or that Luke gets angry about Rey-Kylo and makes a hut explodes rumor. Does that sound like Luke?

or all those emo depressed Luke who's reluctant to go back to the fight.

I'm not saying they are true, just pointing out that between stuff like that and official stuff. Not sure what to think.

13. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Rule of thumb - Key dialogue like that is highly likely to be done in ADR.

14. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yep this talking either means they just want to raise our concern about Luke for interest/attention, or it is as the comments say and we are in for a unpleasant surprise/change of Luke's character. At this point I don't know which one of the 2 routes they go. [face_dunno]

starocean90 likes this.
  15. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    one thing that would tempt me to walk away from TLJ is if any of those spec are right.
    The ones were Luke killed Rey's parents. ugh, So now Luke is a "villain" in Rey's backstory.

what a wonderful way to present the OT hero to a new generation of fans....

ChildOfWinds and nightangel like this.
  16. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    can't wait to see more Luke....

17. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Erm, Kylo already killed her father-figure in front of her...don't think they'll essentially repeat that with Luke.

Luke telling Rey to kill Kylo? The guy who's moat heroic act was sacrificing himself rather than kill his dark lord fatger?

HAHAHAHA!!!!!

Imo Kylo has been such an effective wespon of Snoke's precisely because he's the one person Snoke could throw at Luke who could win because Luke wouldn't kill his nephew.

TK327, nightangel and starocean90 like this.
  18. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    Oh I agree with you that's it's redundant. I also think Luke being another father figure to Rey is also redundant after Han.

also agree about Kylo and Snoke as well as your point before that Kylo is no match for Luke and Luke's compassion is why he's the perfect weapon against Luke.

maybe Rey thinks that Luke wants her to kill Kylo but in fact it's because he can't face him, which is why he sends her instead.

19. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Han = Rey's insta-father-figure
    Luke = (imo) Rey's actual father who ain't nearly easy enough to deal with. At first, at least.

Daisy Ridley, when asked if Rey's parents would attend her hypothetical wedding, answered "Luke would probably give her away."

Seems to mean "Luke and Rey become father-daughter-like close" and/or "Luke is Rey's actual father."

Not a spoiler because it's impossible to tell which of the two she meant :p ;)

nightangel, Strongbow and starocean90 like this.
  20. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    No doubt they could have done something, but then that would 't have fit the story they are telling. They wanted Luke to face crisis and I think his relatioship with Rey demands a certain isolation. I love complicated character. I think Luke will a complexity that will benefit the story.

Satipo likes this.
  21. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I agree about that it fits more to go
    father figure 1st then actual father. There is something off about real father than father figure.

and besides Han in TFA seems too much like the cool uncle that lets you off easy. While the dad is more stern and straight faced.

Ridley Solo and nightangel like this.
  22. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016

What has he done to his character? I don't understand. He was there for 30 secs and was the MacGuffin of the film.

23. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    The point being that Luke's fate as a character matters to me. It doesn't make anyone's opinion (especially mine) more "right" or intrinsicly valuable than anyone elses. I'm just pointing out that there is a way to see this situation as a positive for Luke as a character.

TK327 and JoJoPenelli like this.
  24. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    I suspect very early on Luke sensed something was not right even after ROTJ. That's why we see him take off for better or worse. We'll soon start to piece things together. And may not be able to completely till Ep. 9.

Good post.

Strongbow, Satipo and KembaSkywalker like this.
  25. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Some Mark fans twitter are sending creepy things (Mark's sexy photos etc) to Mark's and his family's twitter and I find out it's not the first time. Nothing in this fandom will surprise me anymore [face_sigh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.