main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    Ok, so if it's just responding to things and had no idea what it's doing why isn't it always the same? I could accept a freak occurrence like Anakin, but like I said is it just a coincidence that Luke was Vaders son? Why did Obiwan and Yoda know that either Luke or Leia would bring down Vader and not go around searching for someone else? If the Force could just awaken new people, why were Luke and Leia the only hope?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    ChildOfWinds likes this.
  2. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Because Luke was the most powerful being it could find. It finds the appropriate vessel.

3. sls062286

May 10, 2016
    So it was a coincidence it happened to be Vaders son? Why were Luke and Leia the last hope if the Force would just pick someone else? I don't think you're going to convince me this makes any sense. I'll just chock it up to it's just what they felt like doing and leave it at that.

4. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    It's wasn't a coincidence. The Force found the perfect vessel in Luke.

oncafar likes this.
  5. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Rey shows that it doesn'tnecessarily take a family member to show compassion. If blood relations are always the only hope then we're all screwed.

6. sls062286

May 10, 2016
    I mean it was a coincidence that the "perfect vessel" happened to be Vaders son? It's not going to make sense to me so I'll just leave it at the writers wanted a reason Rey in particular was picked and wanted her to be a blank slate with no backstory and so just decided to she won the Force lottery.

7. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Luke was the perfect vessel BECAUSE he was Vader's son. That relationship was quite significant for carrying out the will of the Force.

8. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Lotteries are random. Rey and Ben share abandonment issues, for one thing. By definition, that's not random. It's deliberately written that way so it's pointless arguing that it's just a coincidence.

9. sls062286

May 10, 2016
    They share abandonment is issues? One had to raise herself as a slave, the other had parents who loved him and tried to do what they thought was best for him. No matter how he felt towards his uncle, he chose to give that up and made no attempts to even try to understand what was going on. Not to mention he was clearly on the dark side before that point anyway. He did the abandoning.This has been off topic for too long away so I'll just leave it there.

10. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Their situations don't have to match and their feelings don't need to be equally justified. They have abandonment issues from their respective backgrounds. It's a fact.

11. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Abandonment issues are internal, not really other people looking at one from the outside to tell them they don't have the issues they do have because their experiences should according to an outside person, invalidate having such issues. Rey and Kylo have similar emotional issues at their core, regardless of the cause. Lots of people feel abandoned by parents IRL, and it spans a wide variety of different circumstances.

Satipo, rorow1, Lost_Hope and 2 others like this.
  12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    All right, let's get back on topic.

13. sls062286

May 10, 2016
    They have to be a little closer to equally justified for me to buy her feeling any sympathy or kinship towards him after everything she's been through. Sorry was writing while the warning was posted.

14. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    No, as others have said, he was the perfect vessel because he was Vader's son.

Satipo likes this.
  15. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Luke's perception of his destiny and the key to his solution to show compassion was due to his attachment to his father. But that will not succeed with Ben, since the roles would be reversed even if he was Ben's father and not his uncle. And look what did happen to his actual father when he tried to show Ben compassion. The emotions behind Ben's turn to darkness are not even the same as his grandfather's. Therefore Luke cannot perceive Ben's eventual redemption. That's where Rey with similar emotional issues to Ben's is required.

Lost_Hope likes this.
  16. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Maybe the justification is lopsided in order for there to be a credible villain who had anger issues that his family - including Luke who is only his uncle and not Ben's father. In fact will never be a father if he is faithful to Jedi code. Add to that Luke having to convey said code to Ben. Indoctrinate him with the forbidenness of attachments, when it's help and approval from a father figure that he requires. Effectively making Luke a hypocrite in denial of his greatest achievement up till that point. The redemption of his father. - and were unable to resolve on one side. And a more idealistic and sympathetic character to the general audience on the good side. That was written too. So not a coincidence either.

17. Solo88

Solo88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2018
    The Force's favorite game is obviously whac-a-mole.

18. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Do you have something constructive to add or are you just going to provide ill-witted responses?

Satipo, TK327, yanote and 4 others like this.
  19. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    It amazing how Marks appearance and the good performance he put in in TLJ has raised his profile again.

Satipo, yanote and Martoto77 like this.
  20. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    “No one is ever really gone.”

I think he can. But only once he’s recovered :)

But I agree - what’s going on with Kylo =/= what happened with Vader.

I don’t think we have the whole story re Ben’s fall, yet. Most of what into we do have wasn’t even in the movies...

Incidently - pleased at confirmation of spec that Luke getting in Snoke’s way was what got Snoke to start effing with Luke and his family. The gap-year EU material is gonna be EPIC :D

Martoto77 likes this.
  21. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    I was speaking about Luke Skywalker? I know my post was long, but it was about him?

And I was replying to the other poster who mentioned Rey and Anakin. Otherwise I didn't even bring those two up before?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Rickleo123 likes this.
  22. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Your post was barely about Luke. Mostly it was just another rant about how there's "no story" and that Rey is unrelated, which is off topic in this thread. And it was posted soon after a warning.

23. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I'm forever thankful he reprised the role again. Fingers crossed for one more time in IX.

PymParticles , AndyLGR and Martoto77 like this.
  24. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Personally I think a force ghost appearance will be a given. If I'm honest I would have liked him to have survived TLJ though.

25. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I've been giving this a fair amount of thought, and I've come to the conclusion that The Last Jedi has helped make Luke my favorite character again, for the first time since I was a kid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.