main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    I'm still not sure if she's really not related to the Skywalkers. The Revelation in TLJ might be a smokescreen. Guess we have to wait for Episode IX to be absolutely sure.

2. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    That's absolutely true. However. Luke had to know he was the son of Darth Vader before his anger and vengeance could be supplanted with compassion

Darth Caliban likes this.
  3. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Rey being Luke's daughter immediately rectifies many issues with Luke's character.

So hypothetically speaking if Rey is Luke's daughter, who is the mother? I sense a gateway to another Disney film/trilogy.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  4. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    In what way?

rorow1 likes this.
  5. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I don't think so. FO already was kidnapping 28342374 kids (inclusive Finn when he was a baby) and Vanity Fair say Rose Tico hates the First Order since she was a kid. Somehow the New Republic didn't notice nothing of it

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    -LordSkywalker- and ChildOfWinds like this.
  6. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Not from within the Republic they weren't. If the FO were kindapping guys like Finn from the Republic when they were born, then what were Luke's Jedi order doing then? Never mind after Ben's betrayal.

7. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    @Martoto77 , I wouldn’t really call what happened in his sleeping nephew’s room a “confrontation” between luke and Kylo. It was a stupid move on Luke’s part to sneak into that room, especially with his lightsaber, but it wasn’t a confrontation. It was more of a “fact finding mission” to get some more information on just what was going on with his nephew that went very wrong, since said nephew woke up. When one person is awake and the other is sleeping, that doesn’t seem like much of a confrontation.

Luke and Ben/ Kylo never really had a face-to-face discussion apparently. Luke doesn’t seem to have confronted his nephew about his concerns before that fateful night, which he should have done, master to apprentice; teacher to student; uncle to nephew; man to man. That’s what should have occurred instead of a stealth visit in the middle of the night.

But then after the massacre occurred, again Luke doesn’t seem to have tried to confront his nephew or those other students to try to reason with them and return them to the light. We know that Kylo was still conflicted six years after what happened at the Jedi school, during TFA. If he was still conflicted then, perhaps if Luke had tried to TALK to Kylo, if he had apologized to him and tried to reason with him and turn him back, Luke might have been successful in reaching his nephew.

And failing that, he should have kept Kylo and the other six from killing / hurting others, even if that meant arresting them or dueling them. They were Luke’s mistakes. Instead of running away and letting them ultimately be responsible for countless deaths, Luke should have stood against evil, even if that evil was his own nephew.

Unfortunately, Luke didn’t do any of this. He wasted six years of his life on Ach-to while the first order grew stronger and bolder and more destructive in his absence.

Vialco, wobbits and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  8. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    It became a confrontation nonetheless. And it prompted Ben to tear down everything that Luke had built.

Luke going to talk to Ben would be expected, if he had the foresight of his redemption the same way he did with his father. And the knowledge that Ben could not and would not kill him, like with his father.

Did Ben look like he was agreeable to a chat and a reconcilliation when he had the entire FO assault on Crait to spend their ammunition on him as soon as Luke stepped out?

9. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Knowing that he had been able to reach his father, even after 25 years of horrendous crimes, should have made Luke extremely hopeful that he could turn his nephew back after one day of evil. That he didn’t try was very disappointing.

As for Kylo on Crait, that was after SIX years, and no attempts by Luke to save him. By then, Kylo was likely pretty annoyed with his uncle. Luke didn’t exactly approach Kylo in a conciliatory way either. Plus, it was also just after what transpired between him and Rey, where he wasn’t able to recruit her to his side. He was also probably angry about that as well.

10. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    He was caught on the hop with Ben, in terms of the severity of Ben's future. But he does not try and kill him. He stops himself. He would have talked to Ben. Ben then responds by trying to kill Luke, then murdering the padawans that wouldn't turn. Luke is broken by his moment of shame but also correctly knows that he can't be the one to save Kylo. Why on earth would Luke be conciliatory towards Kylo on Crait? He knows he can't save him. He's trying to make him angry to provide the diversion the Resistance need to escape.

EHT likes this.
  11. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    @Satipo I didn’t expect Luke to be conciliatory on Crait. I was responding to @Martoto77 ’s post above about Ben not looking agreeable to a chat. By then, it was way too late. But it might not have been too late if Luke would have tried to find Kylo right after the massacre instead of “ walking away from it all”.

And why can’t Luke be the one to save Kylo? Yes, he is the one who made the mistake with Kylo, but that’s actually why he should have been the one to try. They needed to make amends with one another. How could Luke know that he couldn’t help Kylo if he didn’t even try?

And why didn’t he at least try to save the other students, even if he couldn’t save Kylo? Why didn’t he stay to help leia with the resistance? Do you see why having the reason Luke didn’t help be because he was ashamed, can make people see running off because he can’t face his mistakes as being cowardly? Someone who is courageous admits his/her mistakes, takes responsibility for them, and tries to fix them or help minimize the fallout.

If Luke truly felt that the Jedi needed to end, he didn’t need to run off to a deserted island to eventually die to make that happen. He could have just chosen not to train anyone else, and live out his own life in the best way possible, using his own gifts and talents to help others until his eventual death. One choice is cowardly and useless; the other is proactive and helpful.

Vialco, wobbits, ezekiel22x and 3 others like this.
  12. OCD_Chad

OCD_Chad Jedi Knight

May 12, 2017
    After finally seeing it it just doesn't make sense. Force sensitive children aren't going to stop being born. By abandoning the whole thing you're pretty much guaranteeing even more go to the dark side.

13. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Hope did not prompt Luke to try and save Vader. Seeing what nobody else could see was what made him refuse to fight. And it was the imminent death of his son that ultimately caused Vader to oppose the emperor. These things aren't set up in Star Wars or motivated purely by blind hope. There is no commonality between their situations except a desired outcome.

Luke's absence was never given as a reason for any "annoyance" shown by Ren. The damage was done when he believed that Luke wanted to murder him in his sleep. I personally don't put much value on further "annoyance" eroding any possible chace of reconcilliation. If Ren is annoyed it's because he cannot locate and kill Skywalker in order to prove himself to Snoke.

I appreciate that some people idenitfy 6 years of Luke not going after Kylo as the reason that the FO have been able to threaten the galaxy.

But Kylo didn't devise the SKB or promote its use. And there is no indication that Kylo was waiting for Luke try and talk him back, after killing or recruiting his entire class. Plus Kylo initially thought that Luke was dead.

The last two people known to have turned to the darkside in the past thousand years have been trained a Jedi Knight and a Jedi Master. Being a qaulified Jedi does not preclude turning to the darkside. In fact, the chances of a force sensitive turning to the dark side influenced the Jedi council in who they chose to train. So the situation is not really that different.

EHT likes this.
  14. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Kylo doesn't want to be talked around by Luke. The last time he saw him he tried to kill him, and he spends TFA trying to find Luke for Snoke so they can kill him and snuff out the last Jedi. Luke is right - nothing he could have said would sway Ben. It can't be Luke that saves him.

EHT, rorow1 and Martoto77 like this.
  15. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Luke was definitely one of the highlights of the film for me
    [Removed]
    I'm also glad we got to see both sides of the "Luke confronts Ben Solo about his darkness" scene

For Ben, it was confirmation of Snoke's whispering
    For Luke, it was confirmation that - like Obi-Wan and Yoda before him - he had failed his student
    For both, it was a moment of failure and betrayal

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2018
    Martoto77, rorow1 and Satipo like this.
  16. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    And after he said to Rey that some of his students leave his jedi school with Ben, he never mentioned them again. He didn't feel the darkness in them, just in Ben? If yes, so he never thought "maybe Kylo forced them or something happened!". He tried to find out? no

17. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011

So if Luke looked, failed and retreated, wouldn't that practically be the same as what Yoda did with Anakin and Sidious?

You are just making the worst assumptions. Maybe he did talk to Kylo and Kylo didn't open up to him. Maybe he did look for him and couldn't find him. You don't know.

18. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I think he's so broken he doesn't think he can be the one to save Kylo, and he thinks he can only make things worse. He trusts the light will rise somewhere else. He is tainted. He's wrong to think he can't help make things right. But he is right that he can't save Kylo.

Had Carrie lived, we'd have found the only person who stood a chance was his mother. I'm not sure how they'll get around that now.

TK327 and Martoto77 like this.
  19. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Maybe they should have shown that. Perhaps it would have been a better idea to grant more insight into their relationship rather than focus more screentime on irrelevant nonsense that offers nothing to the story.

20. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    So that means we should just fill in the blanks with the most negative assumptions?

EHT, Strategize and Martoto77 like this.
  21. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    The Last Jedi deserves nothing less. If it's going to treat its most compelling subject matter as unimportant and not worth showing, then I certainly don't have to bend over backwards to treat it like it's good.

Vialco, wobbits, ChildOfWinds and 4 others like this.
  22. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011

It doesn't take any more effort to make a positive assumption, rather it just makes the film worse for no other reason than you want it to be worse.

23. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Maybe we'll learn that Luke tried to find him but couldn't or something. I don't know. It wouldn't surprise me if we did. But equally, I think that it works as it is. Luke was broken by what went down in the hut. I think more focus in 9 will fall on how Snoke turned Ben and just how far gone he already was before Luke went in to that hut.

KembaSkywalker, TK327 and Martoto77 like this.
  24. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    I agree with this. The reboot trilogy is like it's set in the aftermath of a more interesting, pre-TFA era where key things happened and key character development (specifically between Luke and Kylo) took place, and now we're just watching the less interesting loose ends being tied up with less than satisfactory context.

25. OCD_Chad

OCD_Chad Jedi Knight

May 12, 2017
    I didn't say it did preclude turning to the dark side. But when the other options for these kids are just figuring it out on their own or joining up with some dark sider, I think it is wise to stay in the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.