main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bweurk

bweurk Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 11, 2018
    People may have been grossed out by this (i was not) but in no way it is out of character for Luke... had it been Leïa it would be different, because she was raised as royalty (and then again, if she was stranded on this island, she would have to find food somewhere) but Luke was raised as a farmer and he has to eat... nothing out of character...
    Also, like I said, even if they showed him on the toilet, with fart sounds and all the exquisite details.... it would not be out of character! It would be gross yes, and unless it serves a really good purpose (like I think it did with Luke milking the space cow... also this was not that gross) i would prefer not to see this... but it's a fact... Luke Skywalker, the legend, eats, drink, and makes dejections... nothing out of character...
    Unless you can show me that Luke has been established as a vegan, someone who would never drink milk.....

Martoto77 likes this.
  2. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    What you’re describing does not require the extent of the grossness we saw onscreen. The problem many have is not how Luke’s day-to-day life was portrayed, but the gratuitous gross-out factor of how that scene was presented.

And personally, I’d have been grossed out had that been any other character and not Luke.

3. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    That's entirely subjective. And it ignores the authentic motivation to call it gratuitous.

4. bweurk

Jun 11, 2018
    Luke: "i am not afraid"
    Yoda: "you will be"
    this little exchange of dialogue prove that people in the Star Wars universe can sometimes experience new emotions....
    Luke had never been a coward, maybe because he had never faced something like that... he had only known an evil that was already established and in which he didn't have any part... but having his own student being the new evil... feeling responsible for this failure... it's not the same thing... it can make you have a moment of cowardice.... to me it's credible

Martoto77 likes this.
  5. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    Out of character or not, it was a pointless scene . I agree with Mark that its ridiculous to make the time to show that, but not for any real meaningful character connections. We had Luke Skywalker and a young FS girl looking for a place in the world, and nothing came from it.

6. bweurk

Jun 11, 2018
    That's another debate.... i don't agree with you on that, but it's another debate... the discussion started because someone (i think he was banned since, but i don't know why... i am new here) showed me a gif of Luke drinking that milk as a response to my post saying that Luke in the Last Jedi was not out of character...
    So i think i have proven my point, Luke milking that space cow is not out of character...
    You don't like this scene... it's your right, but it's not a characterization issue... it's a tone issue...
    I don't really have a problem with the tone of the movie, but to each their own...

MarcJordan and Strongbow like this.
  7. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    What's wrong with milking a cow anyway?

Strongbow likes this.
  8. bweurk

Jun 11, 2018
    IT'S ANIMAL EXPLOITATION!!!!

ZodaEX likes this.
  9. bweurk

Jun 11, 2018
    Anyway i will agree with you on one thing... even though i loved the movie and i liked the milking scene... i agree too with Mark Hamill when he complains about the fact that the scene where he mourns Han Solo has been deleted and the milking scene has been kept... first the mourning scene is just a few seconds long, i don't really understand why it had to be cut, and if the movie was too long and it was ultra necessary to shorten it, i think the milking scene should have been sacrificied over the mourning....
    But no movie is perfect... It didn't stop me loving it

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  10. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I don't quite understand the issue with the scene either. And it does serve an obvious purpose... to demonstrate Luke's determination to show Rey how much he has turned his back on being a "legend." He's trying to "freak the mundane." Rather, I think it's a typical symptom of folks who do not like the character decisions about Luke trying to justify that position. But it's not necessary.... one can just say they don't like character choices.

11. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    "I have teats, Luke. Can you milk me?"

- Luke's future father-in-law.

(Too lazy to do a meme)​

Strongbow and bweurk like this.
  12. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    I wouldn't have a problem with the scene if the had actually used any of the rest of Lukes screen time to actually develop his relationship with Rey. RJ seemed to just be in a hurry to get Rey off Ach -To and to Kylo.

13. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    My primary issue with the Achoo scenes were just that they were...kinda meh?

14. bweurk

Jun 11, 2018
    That interpretation is interesting... i have the same interpretation, but with another divisive scene, the saber tossing... haters say it's a cheap joke, but when you look closely at Mark Hamill's acting you can really see Luke's emotions and determination... First he turns to Rey ( at the end of TFA ) and looks at her like "who the hell are you?" then she hands him the saber and his eyes scream "no! not this again! noooooo" then he takes the saber ( in TLJ ) and puts his eyes on it and you can see the memories flowing back to him and after that he looks at Rey, and that's where Hamill is great, because you can see in his eyes how he shuts down his "display" of emotions, you can see him thinking "she wants something of me... i have to discourage her! DO NOT SHOW HOW MUCH IT MOVES ME!" and his eyes become "blank" just before he tosses the saber, and flees the scene... and what does he do after? he runs into his house where he can let his emotions out without witness....
    Great acting and great directing!
    (i hop i was easy to understand, english is not my language)

MarcJordan likes this.
  15. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    If I didn't hang out here I'd have no idea that the milking scene was so hated. I thought it was funny and not at all a big deal.

16. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    I don't disagree with your premise, but I think you are being a bit disingenuous here. I see the surface level similarity with the Yoda scene to which you refer. That is a fun scene during which our hero meets an unknown creature that turns out to be the Jedi Master for which he is searching. The direction of the scenes in TLJ are really no fun for me and many others due to the fact that we already know and are really attached to Luke Skywalker. As many are fond of saying, "To each their own" and my own is I feel that RJ shows a lack of respect for Luke's post ROTJ legacy and a severe emotional disconnect between himself and many of us fans.

Personally, I feel the scene adds nothing interesting to the story and diminishes Luke for no reason I find to be compelling. Yes, I understand that it was, supposedly, written to serve the story JJ and RJ are trying to tell. I get it. That is probably, specifically, why I don't like it. Since the beginning of the second act of TFA, I have had serious reservations about the direction of this sequel trilogy.

I found these scenes on Ahch-To, in particular, to be very hurtful. While TFA was just kinda lazy in its structure, over-reliance upon story beats lifted from ANH and seemed to gleefully go about withholding all important information, I never felt as though the makers resented me as a Star Wars fan. Resentment for Star Wars and Star Wars fan permeates The Last Jedi. TLJ felt like RJ was in the theater with me pointing and snickering at how awful a time I was having with the events playing out on screen. Perhaps RJ didn't intend it to be this way, and if he didn't, he accidentally found a way to cut me to my core. Seems more likely, to me, that it was intended to be hurtful to those that love Luke the most.

Congratulations.

Oh; well, thank you. That is very kind of you.

OK, then.

17. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I do think that's a valid point of view, though it's tough to really flesh things out in a little over 2 hr movie. I do think the film would have benefited from Luke and Rey getting a little closer before the finger-touching scene. But it's not a deal-breaker for me at all, and the "Luke's daily life" montage does serve an important narrative function, IMO.

It gave birth to one of the best Star Wars GIFs of all time. Along with the shoulder sweep, Luke gets arguably the two best ever.

rorow1 likes this.
  18. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    + THE WINK

rorow1 and Strongbow like this.
  19. bweurk

Jun 11, 2018
    Do you realize this debate started (this time at least) because i wrote a post saying that to me Luke was not out of character in this movie and someone replied me (in a post that was deleted by mods) with gifs showing Luke tossing the saber, Luke drinking the milk and Luke attacking Ben in his version of the flashback (not the real version), implying these moments were out of character for Luke. That's why I have every right to point that if there is an issue with that scene (to me there isn't but like i said "to each their own" ^^) it's not a characterization issue.
    You think it diminishes Luke... I don't... I loved Luke before the movie, I love Luke after the movie, and watching the movie, I never felt RJ didn't love him, quite the opposite actually.... Yes, the movie showed us a Luke who is at his lowest point at the beginning of the movie, but it was to make us see him rise again as a legend... you don't like the process, that's sad for you.. I loved it, and I am not the only one

MarcJordan likes this.
  20. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    I will defer to you on who has which rights, then.

Luke Skywalker has been my hero for nearly all of my conscious life. I love Luke. RJ does not possess the power to ruin that.

I still despise what RJ did to him and I don't see the events at the end of TLJ as having made up for any of the events earlier in the film. In fact, as far I'm concerned, the ending exacerbates the situation.

Am I still within my rights?

21. Elizabeth Mattos

Elizabeth Mattos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2018
    MOD EDIT: Trolling. Deleted.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2018
  22. Elizabeth Mattos

Elizabeth Mattos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2018
    Posting SFW parody fanart that can be easily found on Mark Hamill's twitter or on google images by searching Kylo Ren + Luke + milking is trolling? Lord.

But yeah. Generally (very) ridiculed scene, going much beyond the confines of fandom, whether people like it or not.

23. bweurk

Jun 11, 2018
    of course you have the right to despise whatever you want to despise... nobody said the opposite...

24. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Here’s the biggest problem with it: It is one of many, many scenes and things that it seemed were put into the film to purposely diminish, degrade, and belittle the character of Luke Skywalker. The hits just kept coming. As one who has been a fan of the character for over 30 years, it was a VERY unpleasant time at the movies for me...one I didn’t repeat and never will.

Luke was not only diminished in that scene, but he was humiliated by being defeated by a new, untrained force user in a skirmish. Luke was the one who ended up on the ground in the mud. His kind personality was taken away and replaced by one of a grumpy, callous jerk. He was presented as a dirty, slovenly, unkempt, almost ugly guy who looked like the caricature of homeless drunk, and who looked far older than even the 60 something Mark Hamill is supposed to be, let alone the 53 that Luke was supposed to be.

Far worse than that though was that Luke was pretty much given the blame for kylo’s fall to the darkside. They had Luke do something that Luke would never do: read his nephew’s mind while he slept, and not only consider killing that nephew for “bad thoughts”, but actually take his lightsaber into the room and ignite it. The filmmakers have made Luke the catalyst that started Kylo on the dark path.

But they still weren’t finished assassinating Luke’s character. They had six other students fall to the dark like Kylo, most likely making Luke the worst Jedi master in history. THEN, they had him run off like a coward for SIX years, abandoning his own sister, Han, and the entire galaxy, when he knew that snoke, Kylo, and six more of his students were out in the galaxy ready to wreak havoc. Instead of doing something about the mistakes he had made and honoring his responsibilities like the Luke of the OT, he just took off, leaving others to deal with his mess. He just gave up on everything and everyone. Even when rey came, telling him that leia’s needed and wanted him to return, he refused. All of this is just completely anti-Luke.skywalker.

I saw nothing of the Luke that I knew and loved from the OT. He was totally unrecognizable. This iconic character was totally deconstructed, and unfortunately, was never put back together again after being brought so low. A four minute force projection in which he just provided a few minutes of distraction for about a dozen resistance survivors is just a drop in the bucket to make up for the demolition job that was done to this character. All he did was dodge a couple of times and talk smack to Kylo, and then he was dead. That force projection wasn’t very impressive since it killed him. And he died alone, leaving no Jedi order; he didn’t even train one Jedi successfully, and he didn’t even get to train Rey. All of his accomplishments were undone and he left no legacy. I thought it was a terrible ending for a character who was an iconic hero for over 40 years.

So, it wasn’t just the ONE lousy scene of the milking, it was all of it taken together that was dumped on this character in TLJ that made him look awful, and there was very, very, very little done to build him back up.

25. bweurk

Jun 11, 2018
    Have you seen the same film that I did?
    Rey doesn't defeat Luke.... he beats her... until she brings a lightsaber in a stick fight.... Also Luke doen't end in the mud, he force stops his fall... which is something Yoda cannot even do in the Empire Strikes Back when Luke makes him fall after his vision of Han and Leïa in danger.
    Also where has it been stated that Luke would never read anybody's mind? Does the movie contradict the established Luke character or does it contradict your imaginary Luke character?
    Luke feels responsible for Ben's fall, but do you really think he is? If your teacher tried to kill you (which Luke didn't really do with Ben, unless you're basing on Kylo's version of the flashback, but let's say he did, just for the sake of the argument) do you think you would be in your right to slaughter the other student of your school? And do you think that in a few hours you would be able to convince a bunch of your pals to follow you in the slaughter? No.... and you know what? Because Ben was already fallen in the dark side, and he had already convinced half a dozen student to follow him. Luke's action just made him act sooner than he had planned to.
    Yeah, we can say that Luke had somekind of a moment of cowardice when he ran instead of fighting.... cowardice happens sometimes... even to the most courageous peoples. And running away from that kind of problems is the Jedi way, no matter what Mark Hamill said... what did Obi Wan and Yoda do when the Empire arised? they ran away... oh you may tell me they were just waiting for the right time to train Luke and defeat the Emperor... but you'd be lying to yourself... In a New Hope, Obi Wan is dragged back into the fight because of a chain of events (Leïa sends the message, Luke finds him out of curiosity) and in the Empire Strikes Back, Yoda doesn't even want to train Luke... Instead of sending them on Tatooine and Alderand, Obi Wan and Yoda could have raised the twins together, training them from the enfancy to be the perfect Jedi that would bring down the Empire.... but no, they just hid, waiting for one of them to find them first (which could have never happened had R5D4 not malfunctionned).
    As for Luke's stand against the first order, it's not what the child in me wanted i concur... i wanted to see him with his green lightsaber, doing impressive things, destroying First Order's AT AT and all.... but he would have been killed by Kylo Ren, and I didn't want him to die like this, it would have been to similar to Obi Wan's death... Instead we got something a lot more imaginative, something the child in me liked, and something the adult in me loved. We saw Luke accept his own legendary status, make something out of it, humiliate Kylo Ren in front of the whole first order without even using violence, saving what was left of the resistence in the process... Yeah, he died anyway... and i was sad, i didn't want to see him die, but that doesn't mean that it was a mistake to make it happen... also, the movie is smart enough that it gives us many hints that Luke may come back as more than just a Obi Wan like ghost if JJ wants it.
    To me, it was beautiful...
    Sad that it was not for you... but to each their own....

Martoto77 and MarcJordan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.