main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mark Hamill related. Did he get screwed over by Ford?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by JediMasterKendo, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMasterKendo

JediMasterKendo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2000
    Take a look at Mark Hamill's career and Harrison Ford's career today. Before Ford became famous as Solo, he was just a nobody carpenter on the set. Star Wars was all about Mark Hamill since he was Luke Skywalker but then somehow Harrison Ford got all the fame and glory and went on to big blockbusters like the Indiana Jones movies and so so's like Frantic and Witness and the overhyped Blade Runner. Mark, on the other hand has been doing mostly voiceovers for cartoons like the batman shows and some video games like Wing Commander on the Sega systems back in the early 90s and he was great as the Trickster on the Flash show.

Now look at Harrison Ford. Hes still going at it even though he is an old man and dating someone younger. the only movie that Mark was in was the Jay and Silent Bob.

So you decide if mark Hamill got screwed over in which Ford is all famous now

2. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I don't think Hamil got screwed over. I think Ford's character showed a lot of people what Ford could do. I give the credit to Ford for being able to market himself and being able to pick roles that suited him. I also give credit to Lucas for taking a chance on Ford for American Graffiti, Star Wars, and Indiana Jones.

3. SithLord-Will

SithLord-Will Jedi Master star 3

Mar 2, 2002
    He was in Guyver... (B Movie based off an Anime)

Ford was a carpenter on the set? How did he get the part then?

Oh, and he got better parts, because he was a better acter, could you picture Hamil in air force one, or... Six days Seven nights? No. His character profile fit better for alot of movies... Just my $.02

4. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Mark was also in The Big Red One which is a war movie set during World War Two. He's a rifleman in the First Infantry Division and he is one of the main characters. It's a pretty good movie. He was also in this really atrocious Japanese movie which was based on a anime or perhaps a manga. Something to do with a glove and he becomes really powerful.

Anyways, I don't think that Hamill was screwed over, I just think that Ford was a superior actor and ANH was his breakthrough role. Carrie Fisher did not go on to a lot of bigger and better things, the SW trilogy is pretty much for her in the big screen.

The OT was centered around Skywalker, but that does not mean that noone else won't be getting any recognation. Look at Vin Diesel, his breakthrough role was Saving Private Ryan and he was a very minor character in the movie. It just has to do with how good of an actor others perceive them. I think Hamill is a mediocere actor at best.

5. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Mark's car accident didn't help his career either.

6. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I don't think it really had a lot to do with his lack of major A movies. After the accident, scenes for ESB were shot so only one side of face could be seen. Those scars can be covered with proper makeup.

7. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    HF was a worker on the set, yes. But he was also an established Actor all ready with GL, and GL thought Ford was deserving of the role after hearing him read the script only once. I think that says the man has real talent. No one has really said that about Mark Hamill. He's a good actor for what he has done, but he's no Harrison Ford. ;)

8. Grand_Duchess_Olga

Grand_Duchess_Olga Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Well, after Star Wars, Hamill was in "Corvette Summer" and "Big Red One", so he had a chance to show how good he was in those films. But it is easier to capitalize on the "the one with the force" then "cocky pilot". When he went to broadway, Hamill got in "The Elephant Man", but the ads for the show said "the Force continues". There is a lot of roles for a "cocky pilot" then someone with mytical powers. And Ford was in a whole bunch of movies that we won't see as blockbusters after Star Wars: the Frisco Kid, Guns of Navonne, Hanoverstreet.

Take Anthony Perkins. That one role as Norman Bates sealed him as "psycho", but Janet Leigh just is labeled "victim" by the movie, which is easy to get out of in other roles.

9. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Ford's more handsome than Hamill, that probably helped.

And, y'know, I don't think Hamill would ever have the right to complain about his acting career. I'm sure he never has to worry about where his next meal is coming from, unlike an awful lot of actors today (even actors who've been in SW movies!)

Rick McCallum loves you!

10. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    The bottom line is that Ford is simply a much better actor than Hamill. Nobody got screwed over.

11. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    I've always thought Mark Hamill was a better actor than Harrison Ford (whom I still like, one of my favorites, but sometimes he can be the same even in different roles), so it's a shame Hamill never got the kind of career that Ford did.

Still, like posted above, I'm sure Hamill doesn't have to worry about putting food on the table or keeping a roof of his head. He's done tons of work on the stage and in animation, plus he had his successful comic book series.

I read an interview last year (or maybe two years ago) where he said he's quite happy working in the realm of B-movies because it's usually the type of films (sci-fi, horror, etc.) that he likes to do.

It's still a shame he never got the high A-budget career Harrison Ford got, but at least he never had to go into rehab like Carrie Fisher. (And at least he still acknowledges STAR WARS, whereas sometimes it seems like Harrison Ford would rather forget it; he didn't even attend the premiere of the Special Edition, while Hamill and Fisher did.)

12. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    If you asked Hamill, I'm sure he wouldn't think he got 'screwed over' by Ford. They're still friends to this day thanks to SW.

Hamill basically had a good television career going, with appearences on over 100 shows, then got his first film role with Star Wars. That kinda thing's gonna be a shock to the system, don't you think?

Hamill got trapped in the Luke Skywalker role despite his efforts otherwise, Fisher went off the rails with drink and drugs, and Ford struggled with film roles between the SW films. His films between ANH and ROTJ all flopped. If it wasn't for Indiana Jones, it's not certain that Ford could've had that springboard into the A-list.

I'm glad he did in the end, though. But for all those saying Ford is a superior actor to Hamill, I can think of several scenes with Luke that Ford just couldn't have done or wouldn't have been right for. It's easy looking good when you're the cool guy with the snappy one-liners.

13. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    It's still a shame he never got the high A-budget career Harrison Ford got, but at least he never had to go into rehab like Carrie Fisher.

She was honest about her drug addiction and has also spoken out in support of funding for people who suffer from mental illness, which includes her (in her case, a bipolar disorder). She's now one of the most sought-after script doctors in Hollywood, and she's said that she's always wanted to be a writer more than she wanted to be an actor anyway. When she was in high school, her drama teacher had to beg her to act in plays because she wanted to work behind the scenes, on the scripts.

No, Hamill didn't become a big star like Ford did. But few people do. I don't think Ford is inherently that much better an actor than Hamill. He's physically closer to the traditional definition of a leading man, and he has that strong-but-silent thing that many people find appealing, plus he was just plain old lucky in getting the roles he did, which propelled him to megastardom.

Hamill used to have a problem with the SW/Luke association, but he got over it. He figures it's better to be remembered as Luke Skywalker than not be remembered at all. And he seems to be very happy with his life. His big screen movies haven't been that great, but he's racked up a lot of acclaim for his stage and voice-over work. I was glad to see him attend the 1997 premiere of ANH: SE, along with Carrie Fisher. It irked me that Ford didn't show up too; when asked, he snarled, "I'm done with 'Star Wars'!"

Though to be fair, Ford has spoken on several of those "life and times of George Lucas" specials that air on TV once in a while, whereas Hamill hasn't. Both of them have spoken up in defense of the prequels.

14. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Harrason is just the coolst actor ever that is why!

15. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    Of course, I wasn't trying to be negative-Carrie Fisher or anything by what I said above. My wording probably just wasn't right.

16. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Don't forget...Harrison was also in "Apocalypse Now".

17. Grand_Duchess_Olga

Grand_Duchess_Olga Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Ford was good in Blade Runner, before RotJ.

With the money Hamill got for SW (points and stuff) he could have created his own production company and supported scripts that he liked and get movies he would like to be in.

18. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Of course, I wasn't trying to be negative-Carrie Fisher or anything by what I said above. My wording probably just wasn't right.

No problem. I'm a bit defensive of her because I see her get dissed so much -- people calling her an ugly, skanky druggie, unfairly comparing her looks to those of Natalie Portman, who's some 25 years younger, etc.

19. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Thanks for the correction with Blade Runner, that did come out in '82.

But a lot of the critical love came well after its release, through cult status and retrospectively after Ford did well with Indiana, and it only took in $30m at the box office.

Indiana was the big box-office hit that managed to get Ford recognition away from Star Wars, just in time.

20. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    Shelley - I don't get all the dissing, either. I liked her in THE 'BURBS.

21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I think Mark Hamill's performance is just perfect in the OT, particularly ANH and ESB, I've never understood why he hasn't received more praise. As for him and Ford, I think Hamill is a better actor, but Ford has that 'Star Quality', he really does.

But its a mystery to me why Hamill's career went nowhere, maybe the injuries didn't help, maybe he's just never gotten the right roles. A lot of actors seem to disappear or fall out of favor for no apparent reason.

I would love to see Hamill, Ford and Fisher do something together - a talk show appearance or something, or a SW celebration. It'd be great to see them together again, their chemistry was so great.

gez

22. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    No. Hamill had everychance to suceed and sadly he didn't. ford just got better chances. Its not like hamill would of got any of fords jobs.

Imagine hamill playing jack ryan, but i dont want to go south america, I got papers to file.

23. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Ford was great to me. Hamill...well I dunno, I think he was just afraid of being typecast or something right, so he avoided the big movies. Ford on the other hand, wasn't afraid of that sort of thing, so continued to have great roles in big movies. I especially liked his potrayal of Tom Clancy's hero, Jack Ryan.

But hey, Hamill at least will be remembered for his Joker voice. Awesome voice.

24. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Perhaps Hamill did not want to do very many big screen movies, at least not as a actor. How many voices has he supplied over the years? Hundreds. It could just be he did not care about going on to being a megastar.

Shelley mentioned that Fisher did not really want to be a actress, she wanted to create movies and scripts. I suppose it is possible that Ford was the only one in the big three who wanted to go onto bigger and better things.

25. Dancing_Jansons

Dancing_Jansons Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    "I tend to live in an insular world and I do have three children and I try to stay as active as I can in their lives. So I sort of take each thing as it comes and I do the best I can in whatever project it is. It's weird, though, because I feel like maybe I'm the only one who has it in proper perspective." -Mark Hamill

"I don't have a drive to be out there just to be out there. Otherwise, I would've taken a TV series or hosted game shows or done a lot of things that have been offered to me over the years, just to keep my face out there. And that's not me." -Mark Hamill

"I'm so grateful for three incredible children who are all so different, and I dont think I'm the perfect dad, but boy, I'm sure trying. It's priorities, too. I mean, once you have a certain amount of financial security - and I say a certain amount because, God knows, everybody including the IRS has way overestimated my wealth - you do have a chance to breathe a little easier and not have to take that job that you're not really anxious to take just to put bread and butter on the table. But right now, I couldn't be colder in Hollywood. No agent has rushed to sign me, because I don't want to rush off and do a TV series where I play a detective whose dog thinks out loud, which is pretty much where I am right now." -Mark Hamill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.