main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mark Hamill, stop your whining!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthWindu71, Nov 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthWindu71

DarthWindu71 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 7, 2003
    I am going to post it in every forum. Why is he always bashing Star Wars? Everytime there is an interview about Star Wars, always a negative comment!!! I mean he says he doesn't want to be remembered as only Luke, but guess what Mr. Hamill, it is the role that got you discovered!! And what else major Film appearances have you done?

He blames his lack of film roles on the stereotype of Luke, but maybe, just maybe it's his acting skills. He has done great voice over work for many many projects, and that is nothing to be ashamed about, but maybe he isn't a "great" silver screen actor. Many other people in the OT never had a problem finding work in film, so he really can't blame that for his lack of film work.

He should be lucky that he had the opportunity to be in the movies, it put him on the map. But as for everything else, it's his, and only his ability and responsibility to succeed. Maybe he is only good for voice overs. Yes, he did play Luke, but it was far from an Academy Award performance. So stop bashing Star Wars Mr. hamill, it got you where you are today. Stop being a whiny little brat like Jake Lloyd!!!

Thanks for listening...

Anyone agree?

2. DarthWindu71

DarthWindu71 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 7, 2003
    I for got to add that it isn't a wise decision to burn bridges in this business!!!

3. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    No I don't agree. I think SW did get Mark Hamill type casted. It happens a lot with certain actors who are involved in a huge movie or tv show. They get so associated with the role that made them famous, they find it hard to get other roles that differ from what made them so famous.

4. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    i personally think that Mark Hamill did a really excellent job portraying Luke.. his character development throughout the trilogy is very well done. I don't think that his acting skills are why he didnt become a big star like Harrison. I read somewhere that Mark Hamill really has more of an interest in science fiction, and he made the choice of following his career path into areas that interested him rather than trying to be in big blockbusters that would make him a lot of money. i really respect that. I've also read about how it was hard for him to get roles because people could only see him as Luke Skywalker, like you mentioned. I havent really read anything though that made him sound bitter, although i cant say that i've read much on that subject at all.

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Hmm...I don't really see what you're talking about. I've never seen Mark bitter or hating his role in Star Wars. If anything, he's thankful for what it's done for his life. Watch his Biography episode. I think it does a pretty decent job of portraying his thoughts on the trilogy.

I am going to post it in every forum

I wouldn't do that if I were you. That would get you banned, my friend.

6. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Oh come on, how would you feel if you got constantly asked about Star Wars?

Alot of the actors who were in Star Wars and are currently have been fed up with constant questions about it.

And Mark, poor Mark :( he was fantastic in the OT, no doubt but it's just a shame that it type cast him. He could been a great actor, really had his career, like Harrison Ford's, push off from Star Wars.

Let the guy have his say and leave him alone.

7. SITHlover

SITHlover Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    Haven't heard of Mark Hamill actually complaining about SW. Being type cast is a legit problem that all actors face and worry about, that is not an actual SW complaint, IMHO.

8. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    Mark Hamill is a fantastic actor, as were all the actors in the OT! They all made their characters so realistic and three dimensional, quite unlike all the cardboard cut-outs that we have in the PT! And yes, I do find it very hard to look at Mark Hamill in a movie (The Big Red One) without thinking of him as the farm boy from Tatooine.

9. gator

gator Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 20, 2003
    DarthWindu71, do you have a link or source?

I never read or seen anything in which Mark bashes SW.

10. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I think this is what you refer to. I read this interview/on-line chat, the first Mark Hamill interview I have ever read, and I was struck at how gracious and still in awe, Mark Hamill, seemed to be all these years after Star Wars. He gave a nod and said great things about the prequels, said good things about Alex Guiness, Harrison Ford and Lucas and seemed to graciously accept the things he has done outside of Stars Wars and feel truly blessed for the opportunity to be in the business. He is a guy who could be bitter and angry for what has happened to him since Star Wars and instead he has forged ahead on new paths, yet appreciates the past with fond memories, but doesn't live there. He seems to have his head screwed on in the right places. :) Maybe this isn't the interview you are referring to, but I did not seem to get any whining at all, out of the on-line chat I refer to in my post.

11. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    this thread is dumb. wheres the part where mark is saying anything bad about star wars huh? [face_plain]

12. gator

gator Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 20, 2003
  13. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, Mark is right about the prequels.

Bash away Hamill.

:D

14. FalconInToronto

FalconInToronto Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2003
    I think Mark is underrated as an actor and not just in Star Wars. He was an excellent jedi! Mark was type cast like any other actor in a huge movie. Look at child actors and how they are forgotten when they hit their teens.

15. KÃ¥l

KÃ¥l Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2000
    Mark says in the interview that he won't be involved in the OT DVDs. Seeing as all the major actors from the Indy flicks are on the DVD, it would be very disappointing if the guy who played Luke isn't on the SW DVDs. I think Mark did a fantastic job as Luke, and his Joker is great too, but I don't think he can blame SW for typecasting him. Taking 6 years off from film after ROTJ and then returning with Slipstream can't have been the smartest move if he wanted a broader screen career.

16. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    it was the muppet show appearnce. he couldn't let his love for miss piggy get in the way of his career. so he chose the pigster.

17. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    Luke Skywalker is one of film's greatest icons, and it's mostly due to the actor that brought him to life...Mark Hamill!

18. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    First off, I've never seen Mark bash SW. In fact, to this day I think he really enjoys the saga and is thankful he got the role as Luke. I'm not saying he has to like the PT, but I've never heard anything negative come from his mouth regarding the OT and how he was type cast.

If anything, he probably got annoyed at always being asked questions concerning SW and not his other films. I for one enjoy The Big Red One, which has him in it. It's one of my all-time favorite war films.

Also, don't post this in every forum, because if you do, I'll be forced to ban you.

Also, I hate to say this but in regards to your Hamill post. . .PPOR! I've never seen a Hamill interview that was as negative as you are portraying.

19. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Mark Hamill is a fantastic actor, as were all the actors in the OT!

Well, THIS is a new one.

As for Mark, I agree with Errant on this issue. His problem isn't with Star Wars, or the movies, or Lucas, or whatever. If he has any problem at all, which I doubt, it's more with the people who can't stop wondering if he has a real working lightsaber or something.

There was a great Just Shoot Me episode on the subject. [face_laugh]

But Mark Hamill really has nothing to worry about with 'career problems' or what have you. He gets steady work and makes a good living, which is more than most actors can say!

Rick McCallum loves you!

20. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I've never seen mark bash the OT or the PT. He even said he gets defensive when he hears Jar Jar bashing.

21. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    It's kind of ironic that Harrison Ford got to be the famous one because Mark was much, much, much better in the OT. He understood that his character was supposed to develop over the course of the saga and portrayed that very well, unlike, say, Harrison Ford treating his character the same way throughout the trilogy even though he was supposed to have gone from rogue mercenary to hero of the Rebellion and man a princess could love. Mark projects wisdom and forbearance in RotJ better than nearly any other young actor I've seen, and this is especially great when compared to the dramatically different personality he played in ANH.

I guess in my mind he's typecast as mature Jedi, whereas to most of the viewing public he's typecast as whiny farmboy. But in any case, he's been a great sport about it, and Star Wars fans should be grateful the franchise still has someone who's positive about the work he did in the OT.

22. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    I don't think Mark is whining at all! In fact, the only place where I saw him "whine" was when he said his kids got shunned by their school friends because Mark wasn't on the "A List", and that made him angry.

And I don't blame him.

I think he's a really cool person and from all accounts, one HELL of a nice guy!

23. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    I've never heard Mark bash SW either. He's a good actor and one of the best voice actors in the business, which btw IS ACTING.

Mark is one of my favorite actors and Luke Skywalker is my favorite SW character.

It's your right to criticize him but don't expect too many people to agree. He has a larger fan base than you think.

24. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Mark Hamill rocks. He has an excellent voice, propper diction, and awesome inflection. He has lent his voice to countless documentaries and cartoons. Even, playing the Joker on a Batman Cartoon.

I heard his voice on a documentary on the "Chunnel" and thought this guy is very cool indeed.

I like the fact that he never mentions bad things about Star Wars, and he doesn't pitch crap like David Prowse.

So quit your complaining, for it is you who are whining, DarthWindu71,... not Mark Hamill.

25. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    he even agreed to be **** Knocker on Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, which totally, yeah, well, we all know what the movie did to the Star Wars image

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.