main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Mark Hamill unsure about Star Wars 7

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Nov 27, 2012.

1. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    That may not be the story they want to tell.

2. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Fair enough. I guess I spoke too soon. But I agree with Echo-07 that Hamill was likely being dutiful.

3. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    He could be lying, but whyw ould I assume he is?

4. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I don't get your point. When Hamill said he talked with GL in August he never said it, "was just to inform them what was happening so they knew and wuold be perpared when they got asked questions about it after the sale and announcment." That was never mentioned in the any of the stories I read. Yes, they discussed new movies and the sale but we don't know to what extent those discussions were.

Furthermore, the fact that Carrie Fisher said she would be in the new movies and said she thought "that was common knowledge" leads me to believe that MH and CF and even HF know more about what's going on than they're letting on, well, except for Fisher, whose people had to make a bit of a retraction. A "totality of the circumstances" would lead a logical person to presume that the story is set in an appropriate timeframe to naturally include the BIG 3.

5. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    And why would we assume they are going to recast? We could go in circle over this all day long. I will leave it with this. I personally hope they keep the original actors since that would be the story I personally would like to see. It helps that I have some actual evidence to go off of that. The only idea of future stories Lucas has ever brought up has been in line with this, he met with Hammil and Fisher, all the big three have expressed interest in returning. That may not be concrete evidence, but it is more than the Ryan Gosling crowd have "I wish Ryan Gosling would play Luke. That is the extent. I think it's fine for you to speculate, but to tell others not to get their hopes to high on the other end seems pointless. Why should it matter?

In the end I respect what you would like to see happen for the film. I only wish you would respect that there is reason to believe what i hope for is just as legitimate of an option. I will see the films either way even though I know I would enjoy one route better than the other.

Echo-07 likes this.
  6. spoooooky

spoooooky Jedi Master

May 2, 2000
    I just hope Hamill is in it. When I heard the announcement, the first excitement I felt was at the thought of seeing Hamill in jedi robes again...

Beaker416 likes this.
  7. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Mark Hamill knows full well whether he has a role or not. Actors have to deny things until they get the go-ahead. That's why Carrie Fisher's representative had to issue a statement of denial soon after Carrie said she's in it. That famous lunch was not just to "inform them". I don't believe that for a second.

As I said before, Disney will want to play this safe. Getting the original actors back makes the most commercial sense. Recasting could actually be incredibly damming. I don’t think anyone wants to take that risk. And yes, it would be a risk. If Episode 7 is based 30 or so years after ROTJ there is no problem. I don't believe Episode 7 will be based five years or so after ROTJ. Even years ago Lucas said there will always be about twenty years between trilogies.

Artoo-Dion and Echo-07 like this.
  8. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I believe that they do want to have all their ducks in a row before announcing anything major regarding the characters. so i agree with you on Disney playing it safe and I'm not looking forward to the 30 year gap but i'm sure that they want to make the characters the same age as the actors. and plus who knows we may see another TCW series in the works after this trilogy detailing the groups adventures during the 30 year gap.

9. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    As a side note—based on this photograph, why are people complaining about his weight? He seems less heavy here than Alec Guinness was in ANH.

T-R- and Fleab88 like this.
  10. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    Recasting ? This thing is still going on ? It will never happen. I mean, if I was a movie director and someone was gaving me the honor of directing a SW movie.....my biggest thrill would be to direct Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker in a sequel of ROTJ.

Episode 7 will be the biggest movie event in our life. Because it's a sequel to ROTJ and what lies ahead is unknown. But the big three will be the big draw. We will have a lot of new characters in those 3 movies, characters that will be beloved as much.....but the main three will be there....

My own son will certainly have the same conversation in maybe 20 years.......what...are they thinking about re-casting "Ben or someone like him" Skywalker ?

We waited all our SW geekness life for a sequel to ROTJ with Luke Skywalker passing the torch. We are gonna get it and Mark Hamill will get the biggest cheer when he will grace the screen again.

Artoo-Dion , Echo-07 and Krueger like this.
  11. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Truth is being spoken right here. I guess they just think he looks told old. Even that isn't a very good reason. My best guess? Some people want to rid the world of the EU entirely. I personally don;t have much stock in it either way despite how much I enjoy the EU.

Echo-07 and Count Yubnub like this.
  12. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Agreed. That is all.

Echo-07 likes this.
  13. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    I agree with everything.

T-R- likes this.
  14. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    We know it's closer to 30 than3 according to Lucas:

15. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Personally, I'm not a big EU fan. I've found some things I've liked and then others that make me cringe. That said, I am a continuity fan. And if there's a way to do the ST while still maintianing the EU for those fans I am all for it. My only unwavering stance is that IF Disney/LFL wants to change some things that have been written in Post ROTJ EU then they should be able to. For instance, keeping Chewie alive or not having Luke get married (blech) or only having two Solo kids that sort of thing . . .

Artoo-Dion and Krueger like this.
  16. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    I just think that Luke should look a little older than the other characters i mean here is a guy who basically had to reestablish the jedi order by himself and make them a dominant presence in the galaxy again. it would make sense that something like that would age a person considerably. unlike the alliance high command who mad more than enough people to make the transition from being a Rebellion to be a New Republic.

17. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Recasting the leads for James Bond and Star Trek is fine because they simply aren't as beloved by the world as SW is.

18. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Recasting will not be done IMO.

The BIG 3 will be there -- but again, let's also stress that they will NOT be the one's driving the new films. There has to be a younger 'big 3' to pass the torch to.

We don't want the next film to be a reunion of old folks.

Artoo-Dion , Count Yubnub and Echo-07 like this.
  19. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    WOrks just fine in James Bond movies.[/quote]

Recasting the leads for James Bond and Star Trek is fine because they simply aren't as beloved by the world as SW is.[/quote]

I admit that both leads for those series are starting to grow on me but people will remember Sean Connery and William Shatner as the definitive versions of James Bond and Captain James Kirk.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  20. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    and people think that it's going to be Luke's son and Han and Leia's kids.

Echo-07 likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I actually think Ryan Gossling and Bradley Cooper are solid actors but if I walk into "Star Wars: Episode 7" and the first time I see Luke is he removes his Jedi hood and it's Ryan Gossling and Bradley Cooper walks by and is like, "Hey, Luke!" "Hey, Han!" I think I might have an actual brain explode.

22. Roger Goldleader

Roger Goldleader Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 1, 2000
    I'm for the passing the torch approach, at least for EP VII. I'd like to see Luke, in full Jedi regalia for the very first time, in a new Jedi Temple, in the same position of prominence as Yoda in the PT. And if they put Carrie Fisher back into a full metal bikini, well, how much better can it get?

23. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Dude, i love Carrie and all but no way in Hell do I want to see her in a gold bikini nowadays!

24. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Amen, I think we'd all need mind bleach if that happened.

25. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Yeah especally now that she is old and fat!

EDIT: Heres the possiblties of mark hamil coming back as luke Skywalker!!

http://www.examiner.com/article/star-wars-news-mark-hamill-explains-why-he-would-return