main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Mark Hamill unsure about Star Wars 7

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Nov 27, 2012.

1. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I would like to see Mark return as Luke, I'm sure if he does return he'll start getting back into shape and what not. it wouldn't be the same without him if he didn't return.

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  2. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    So by pointing out the characters who have had multiple actors you then imply that that should be the case with everyone? Star Wars is not superman, Batman, or James Bond. All three of those characters were done in comic book or novel form before entering the big screen. There is a pretty huge difference there I think. Facts or facts. The majority of fans would be unsettle by having another actor play Luke. Disney isn't going to take the gamble. They did not spend all that money to take risks that could potential isolate a large portion of the fans.

Jimstarwarsfan likes this.
  3. Jimstarwarsfan

Jimstarwarsfan Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    I bet he would rather play the part himself considering the money and the spotlight. This is nothing like superman, batman etc. The first thing most fans thought of was will hamill be back. We ain't thirty years from now are we. What is the problem here with Hamill? its not like he aint played the part before. What if they cast a different luke for Episode 4,5,and six, after all look at james bond. even thinking of casting someone else is stupid, and they may do that but i bet it would ruin the films, and it certainly would for me.

4. Varguitas

Varguitas Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2012
    Will people stop thinking that the Phantom Menace was a bad movie? Seriously WILL YOU STOP RUINING STAR WARS FOR ALL THE PEOPLE WHO LIKE IT????

5. Varguitas

Nov 20, 2012
    The biggest problem with having Mark cast again is that the fighting scenes would have to be done by stunt doubles. And well, I think a little make up to make him look better wouldn't hurt.

6. Jimstarwarsfan

Jimstarwarsfan Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Theres a meeting about casting characters at lucasfilm.

right everyone luke will return in this episode 30 years on from jedi, but we ain't too sure who could play the part. mmmmm. any suggestions hmmmmm. this is hard.

whats the name of the chap who played him before? hmmmm.

i wonder who could play the part....

right! lets ask george....

7. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Hate to break it to you, but lots of folks didn't care for TPM. Not sure why you should let that ruin Star Wars for you. Your dismissive attitude about the EU doesn't ruin it for me.

8. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    Hollywood can do amazing things with makeup and camera angles. Not to mention CGI. Luke will look like he should, should they decide to recast him. Gotta look past the recent photos of him. Anyone watch Indy IV? Ford looked amazing and he is an OLD MAN now :) Lucasfilm has our backs on this!

9. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    If Mark doesn't appear in the ST, he'll get angry and use his magic.

10. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    *sighs*

I'll say no more other than this: One way or another, don't get your hopes up. You might not like the end result.

Me, I'm a lukewarm SW fan. I grew up on the OT but what GL did to the franchise with the PT and everything tarnished that love. So if the Big Three are recast, in all sincerety, I really won't care that much.

LANDO_ROCKS likes this.
  11. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Fair enough. The PT didn't destroy me as much as others and I grew up on OT as well. I think you may be taking your personal bias into this though and thus projecting the idea that it would be unlikely for mark to reprise his role and do a good job. My philosophy is it is foolish to assume either way on something we have not seen yet. All I ca go by is what I have seen of mark in the past, and form that I would say I am confident he is capable of pulling it off. There is far more evidence to say he will return than to say he will not be. I just hope they make a fantastic movie. If they cannot get people to reprise their roles then those characters simply should not be in the film.

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I want Mark in it as long as he does his Joker voice at random moments throughout the film.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  13. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I think 5,488 posts on a SW board might qualify you as slightly more than a lukewarm SW fan. ;)

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Per my usual enforcement policy, there are two threads on this subject on the front page.

PREPARE FOR MERGER.

15. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    The new trilogy will not be carried on the shoulders of the Big 3 like the OT was.

They will definitely 'anchor' the ST but there just has to be NEW blood to carry these new movies - as in new heroes that we care about as much as we did for the Big 3 in the OT.

Thus, we can still have Hamill play Luke.

16. KudosDas

KudosDas Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2005
    At the very least I expect to see Mark rocking an Obi-Wan style beard/role in the new trilogy even if we don't get Harrison or Carrie (which I think we will, at least in the first movie). Lucasfilm/Disney would be crazy to pass up the opportunity to tie the new trilogy so directly with the OT with a Mark/Luke appearance. It's too much of an opportunity to bring those who consider themselves purely OT fans back into the fold to pass up and pass on the Star Wars torch, both in and out of universe.

17. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Counting posts now? Jaysis. Anyhoo, I'm pretty certain that 90% or more of those posts have not been about discussing SW. So yeah, let's try that again.

I'm really not biased about Mark, Harrison or Carrie resuming their roles. If anything, I'm just pointing out that time has not been kind to them (just as kind as it gets to anyone, really) and am doubtful they will want or be able to resume said roles. But if they want to and think they can pull it off, well hey, let's see what happens. I'd love to east my own words.

18. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012

Ok First off I don't hate TPM infact overall I like it but what I don't like about it is Jar Jar binks , Anakin Skywalker as a 9yo WHY ON EARTH he could't be 14 I'll never know ,
    The title is crap ! It was to shiny & didn't really feel like the star wars we knew ....however the last 20-30 min was awesome & the podrace too .
    Also what I meant about EP7 being the TPM of the sequels was it could end up being the worst of the sequels because they recast the big 3 . I don't think anyone can deny TPM is the worst star wars movie so far .

19. Darth Georgia

Darth Georgia Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    If Luke Skywalker is in the movie then it must be Mark Hamill. Disney and Lucasfilm are smart and know what they are doing. Seeing LUKE again on the big screen will be a huge box office/marketing draw. Throw in Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher back as Han and Leia and we are talking box office potential that could exceed Avatar as the #1 grossing film ever

20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Mark would be fine in SW, it's what made him after all.

I don't think he's a great actor, but he knows SW and he can do that. I only hope he remembers his Luke voice :p

21. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Voice acting is acting. Mark is quite accomplished at it, as his resume shows. Movement, gesture and facial expression are other components of acting that Mark, in his several decades of film and television performance, has mastered, your personal dislike of him notwithstanding.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Voice acting and physical acting are different things. Many voice actors would struggle in live action movies because they are not used to acting with their bodies or the required facial expressions.

Hamill is good in the OT, but Ford is the only one who got a stellar movie career from Star Wars. There is good reason for that, because he was the best actor of the main cast.

The Hamill Effect is not uncommon, Elijah Wood hasn't done much outside of LOTR.

23. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Sure, but Hamill has a substantial television resume outside of voice work as well. We need only look at the OT to see that Hamill is obviously capable of movement, gesture and facial expression, and his TV appearances certify that he's still capable of it.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  24. Varguitas

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't think that their was a bad Star Wars movie, I think that each one played an important role in the development of the story and they where all great to me.

25. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Of course, he's by no means a bad actor.
    But there is a reason he never got offered many movie roles after SW whereas Ford did, and Hamill has been bitter about that for a long time.

He is though perfectly capable of doing the role, certainly if it's of the wiser older guy who isn't in it much. Heck he could lend his great voice talent to a few aliens if it is required.