main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Mark Hamill unsure about Star Wars 7

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Nov 27, 2012.

1. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    actors getting attached before a director isn't weird or crazy or anything, espically when its a big name, 15-20 million dollar actor. Gosling and Coper are mentioned in the artical about Hamill.

WOrks just fine in James Bond movies.

2. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    I think he'd be better as Han.

3. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Its more important to get a good actor then someone who looks excatly like Hamill, IF they recast.

4. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes, but I don't think that those same rules apply. There is little to no real continuity between the James Bond movies, and whether or not the different James Bond's are even the same person has always been vague. Star Wars has strong continuity and is one continuing saga, so I think that such a drastic change would be far more jarring. Also, I don't see any reason to risk it. Why set it a few years after Jedi and re-cast everyone, if it will be jarring and weird? It makes much more sense to just set it a few decades later and have the original actors reprise their roles, while introducing new, younger protagonists. Also, setting it some years later can set up a more interesting things, like having an already re-established but small Jedi Order, and it will give enough time for a new threat to emerge, as well as being consistent with having a long span of time between trilogies.

5. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    In 1967 (I believe) when they made OHMSS I'm sure it was very jarring to see somsone else play James Bond, but people get used to it.

They re-cast the female lead in Dark Knight, didn't ruin the movie.

Setting it 30 years after RotJ makes sense if thats the story they want to tell, it might not be. They may want to tell more Luke Skywalker stories. Maybe Episode VII will feature someone like Gosling as Luke and fill ins ome important story points and VIII will take place 30 years later and Hamill will be back for the one. We don't know yet.

6. Chrono85

Oct 31, 2012
    That's a big IF, and it would be a lot safer and make much more sense to not re-cast. However, I don't think Gosling would be the best choice for a Hamill replacement, but then again, I'm not sure that anyone would be a good choice anyway.

Echo-07 likes this.
  7. Chrono85

Oct 31, 2012
    Honestly, having Hamill and Gosling play the same character within the same trilogy would be even more difficult to get past. The female role in the Dark Knight movies was only a secondary and supporting character, and they at least got actresses that looked a bit alike. As for Bond, those movies are great, but they have always been a bit over the top, and story and character development are not really important things in that franchise. Also, like I said before, it has always been somewhat hinted that Bond may be a title that was passed on to new 007 agents rather than being a birth name. At least before the reboot. I will say that though, as for Gosling, he strikes me as much more of a Han Solo than a Luke, if he were to play one of the characters.

8. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Odd. Is it in a newer article because I have seen none that mention it. Even googling it brings up nothing except random fans make complete guess work on who they would like to see fill in the role. No source form my research has come even remotely close to saying gosling is being considered. I'm not saying for a fact Hammil will reprise his role, but so far the evidence leans more that way. Would I automatically hate it if he didn't reprise his role? No, but I do think it should be either Mark, or no Luke Skywalker at all.

The examples of batman and James Bond don't work. It is Star Wars, not movies based off of novels or comic books. I think more fans would be frustrated by a recast than would be comfortable or happy with it. I think Disney gets that, and thus would be hesitant to do it. Do you have a link to the article that mentions Gosling being considered? because again google is giving me nothing on it.

9. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I said it before and I'll keep saying it -- a recast/reboot would suck. I'd see it but my enthusiasm would be diminished. And after seeing it I'd have to ask myself if I really want to invest in this version of Star Wars. IMO it'd be better to skip right over the Big 3 era into a far distance than to try to shoehorn different actors into those iconic roles.

It should also be noted that Hamill said pretty much the same thing as Ford about his unsuredness save for the recast bit.

Artoo-Dion and C Creepio like this.
  10. C Creepio

C Creepio Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 1999
    It makes no sense to recast Luke for Episode 7. No sense whatsoever. It would be worse than sticking Hayden into the end of ROTJ as a blue ghost.

According to everything, Episode 7 will take place 20-40 years after ROTJ which means Hamill is the perfect age to play Luke. Bradley Cooper? Are you kidding? He would never live up to the part and would face constant comparisons to Luke, and he won't be as good.

Sure, Hamill wasn't the greatest actor but never once in my life have I looked at him and NOT thought of Luke Skywalker. Hamill IS Luke. There is no other.

JainaSoloYJK, Echo-07 and Darth Shibs like this.
  11. Darth Shibs

Darth Shibs Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    TOTALLY agree. No actors that all the women already think are 'hot'. That makes it trendy and I'd be pissed. Hamill or a no namer.

JainaSoloYJK and Echo-07 like this.
  12. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    *shudders* Not me.

Recasting the Big 3 has the potential to be more polarizing than anything else about the ST, IMO.

Artoo-Dion , Fleab88 and Echo-07 like this.
  13. Poo-Do

Poo-Do Jedi Padawan

Nov 6, 2012
    Stop with the re-casting stuff. It's not happening. And if it does (which it won't) it would completely kill it for me and i'm almost sure 99% of SW fans. Continue the story after ROTJ, bring back the big 3...make everyone happy. It's simple.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  14. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Mark Hamill never really worked in A movies after SW because HE IS LUKE SKYWALKER. There is no one else who can play him. I agree, there is no other.

As I said in my post, I highly doubt I'd invest my time and money into a reboot. Just wouldn't be the same. They'd never be able to recapture the essence of having been in those adventures before like the areturning cast would naturally do. You cannot create that kind of magic.

If they recast I suspect half the fans would disappear again. IF Disney announced tomorrow that they recast the BIg 3 I would stop coming to these boards and I would stop searching for tidbits of news. I'd show up when the film opened to see for myself but would most likely let SW go . . . .

Poo-Do likes this.
  15. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I mentioned this in the other thread, but recasting the Big 3 has the potential to be the most polarizing thing in the ST, IMO.

For good or ill, Ford, Hamill, and Fisher have been the face of Han, Luke and Leia for more than 3 decades. It's not so easy to just slip other actors into those roles and have it accepted by the movie going public.

16. Poo-Do

Poo-Do Jedi Padawan

Nov 6, 2012
    - Once again Echo, I agree a million % with you.

17. C Creepio

C Creepio Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 1999
    Man, Bradley Cooper as Luke Skywalker is just laughable. Someone with photoshop - make us an image of a white-robed Bradley Cooper weilding a lightsaber. I could use a good laugh.

Echo-07 likes this.
  18. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    But we don't know if it will take place 30 years after RotJ or 3 years. Its all speculation at this point. People are assuming it will about Luke being a/the Jedi master and teaching new people, but that may not be what they want to do.

In 1966 Sean Conery WAS James Bond. HOw about waiting to seeing who they cast and well or poorly they do before juding? Alec Guinness was Obi-wan until they needed a younger verison.

19. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    THIS!

20. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    So this is the article that mentioned Ryan Gosling playing Luke. As a side point, this is far beyond a rumor. I'm not sure why you would use this one article to say there are "Rumors" going around about Ryan Gosling playing Luke.

I completely agree that we do not know anyhting for certain. However, anything we have to really go off of points overwhelmingly towards a story that takes place 30 years in the future following the next generation with the big three taking on a mentorship role. While this is obviously far from fact you can hardly blame people for speculating off of this since this is the only thing we have to speculate on. Ryan Gosling being Luke has no weight to it. That speculation literally came about by fans wondering what actors they would like to play Luke if there were to be a recast. Out of the two options Mark being Luke has an overwhelming lead. I'm not saying it's fact, but it makes little sense to me when people get frustrated about fans speculating, and even hopefully expecting this.

21. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    OK. I find something here hard to believe. Lucas says that he has treatments; he and Kennedy say that they've been working with "a couple of writers" to develop those treatments into scripts; Mark Hamill says he and Carrie Fisher have met with Lucas about the ST during a lunch meeting in the summer; wouldn't they have asked him about the stories?

Echo-07 likes this.
  22. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    *Thread merge and re-designation*

23. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    What do we have? 20-30 year old comments from Lucas?

I dunno what way they are going to go, but I certinly wouldn't dismiss something like this out right because we don't know if the movie will be 30 years after RotJ or 3 years. And if its 3 years and they re-cast, it could be great. Its kinda silly to say it would be terrible before it happened, if it does happen before we know who it will be and how good or bad they'll beint he role.

Hamill has said the lunch was just to inform them what was happening so they knew and wuold be perpared when they got asked questions about it after the sale and announcment.

24. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I think MH is being dutiful in all honesy. I think he knows very well what's going on, has been told not to confirm anything -- contrary to what Carrie Fisher did -- and is just downplaying it.

You nail everything on the head. This has been in development longer than the fans are aware. Everuything we have read from sources that stated Arndt would be the writer stated that the story involved Luke, Leia and Han. GL told MH wayyy back in the 70's and 80's that in these later Episodes Luke would be the Obi-Wan figure passing the torch of knowledge. Given what we know a recast seems unlikely.

And, lastly, i might add that what bothers me most about the idea of a recast is that it seems highly unnecessary. The big 3 are in a poistion to play dignified, wisened figures perfect for passing the torch. Why not do it then if you can if you can?

T-R- and Count Yubnub like this.
  25. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    You don't know that. You don't know anymore than someone saying they discussed their role and a story and script. No one knows for sure what all was discussed.