main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mark Hammil's Acting Skills

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Esperanza_Nueva, Feb 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Luke's my favourite SW character, so Mark Hamill has a lot to do with that.

I'll tell you one of my favourite MH acting moments, it's a reaction shot rather than a line.

When dropped down into the Rancor's pit, we get a shot of Luke's face as the Rancor appears for the first time. Now, Luke looks pretty worried, but he does this thing where he lets his jaw sag a little and his eyes widen for a brief second, and he looks even more scared for an instant, that I love.

I think it's because I've seen this kind of thing overplayed so much in other films. Hamill's reaction is brief but much better, you can almost see him thinking "Ohhhhh, hell!" without resorting to open gawping or screaming or shaking his head around. It's all in the eyes and mouth, a slight little movement I've always liked :)

2. Jedi-Monkey

Jedi-Monkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    I'm gonna go against the grain here. Step out on a limb and say that I do not think Mr. Hamill is really a great actor. I was one of the people who was comparing Jake Lloyd's acting to Mark Hamill's, although I don't know if one of my posts is the one mentioned here in this thread. But what I was actually saying was not that JL's was as bad as MH, but more It wasn't any worse than MH. It might be a subtle difference, but it seems like an important difference to me.

I think Mark Hamill is kinda like William Shatner. I don't think anyone will accuse Mr. Shatner of being a great actor. Although before he was Captain Kirk and T.J. Hooker he did do a lot of other roles, some of which he even received praise and critical acclaim for. But while I still don't think he is a good actor, I think he was perfect for Captain Kirk. Likewise, I don't believe Mark Hamill is a great actor. However, I think he was a great choice for Luke Skywalker, and I cannot imagine anyone else in the role. He is adequate for most of the other stuff he has done, and some of his voiceover work has been pretty damn good.

Did anyone see his two guest appearances on the short-lived Flash TV show? Where he played the villain The Trickster. Basically all he did was a low-rent imitation of Jack Nicholson's Joker. It was horrendous. I think he should stick to voiceover work and behind the camera stuff. And maybe some occasional guest shots on sitcoms like he did on Just Shoot Me.

It's not that I dislike Mark Hamill, or his portrayal of Luke. The original Star Wars is still my favorite movie of all time. Since Mr. Hamill was a rather large part of that film I can't dislike him to much. Otherwise I would be whining like some of these people who go on about how Jake Lloyd ruined Episode I, or how Jar Jar did, or some such nonsense.

So I like Luke Skywalker. I think Mark Hamill did a good job for what the character was. But I don't think overall he is that great an actor.

3. DeJade_Vu

DeJade_Vu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002

I think Hamill was great in OT. I really didn't see how his performance was so "horrible" as critics like to think when all the actors in SW were pretty much the same when it came to skill.

I love the part in ROTJ where he's hiding from Vader and one side of his face is in the light and the other isn't. All who think he can't act should take a look at that scene.

All who think he can't act should take a look at The Big Red One too. People constantly say that it was Lee Marvin and Hamill that did the best. One well-known critic (Maltin I think) even said that Hamill's acting in that movie would make you "forget the whole SW thing." :)

4. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    I tried watching Big Red One, i had no problem with the acting but I think it was just how fake the battles seemed that turned me off to it

5. jedibendubruce

jedibendubruce Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Never said there was anything wrong with his so called "whiney" acting. If you've ever met him in person it's pretty much the way he is. There's nothing bad about it. I think it's mainly the way he speaks. More importantly to me is he's a nice guy. I do think he's a good actor & absolutely loved his performance in all of the Star Wars films as well as many others.

6. Princess_Skywalker_

Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2002
    Hayden & Mark's acting abilities aren't "whiny". Their characters are whiny. They were supposed to be. They are basically kids who set out to save the world. I'd be a little overwhelmed by it all too. Who wouldn't? And they are playing teenagers. So on top of all the chaos, they are supposed to be going thru hormone changes and everything else :p

I adore Mark in the OT. He is the reason Luke is my favorite guy (since of course Leia rules!)... I admit I really don't like much else that I have seen him in. (With the exception of Jay & Silent Bob which rocks!)But since the Trilogy is my top fave of movies, that rates him pretty high in my book.

Hayden on the other hand, I really have enjoyed in everything I have seen him in(Life as a House, Virgin Suicides, etc.).

But regardless I think they both were excellent in their roles and I can't see anyone else doing a better job.

And besides, you have to give Luke a little credit...The girl he rescued, risked his life for, the one he had the hots for....

He not only looses her to his best friend....he finds out she's actually his sister. You gotta have sympathy for a guy like that! :p

7. jedibendubruce

Dec 27, 2002
    Yeah I agree Hayden had a whiny character as well as Mark but yes indeed Mark sounds whiney. Let me rephrase by saying ONCE AGAIN I think he is a teriffic actor but all I'm saying is he SOUNDS whiny not that he is a whiny person. It's just the way he speaks that's all I'm really referring to & those types of roles benefit from him because they suit his natural characteristics. No harm nor ill intent from myself just stating fact. It worked well for him in the OT. All actors have natural "gifts" or characterizations that help cast them. Hey Christopher Lee is typically cast as a bad guy because he suits the role- VOICE & DEMEANOR. No harm no foul. I like Mark & his acting & hope he takes more screen roles-whiny or not :D

8. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    It's odd, I never really keyed in on Mark's whining as Luke until the SE came out in theaters and everyone laughed at the Toshi Station line. It still doesn't bother me and I think it's because he did such a bang-up job portraying Luke as what he was -- an innocent kid. Mark was also excellent in The Big Red One, and if you take away Corvette Summer he's been good in everything he's done.

The facial expression thing is an excellent point as well. I hadn't noticed how much facial acting could change a scene until the series "24", in which Keifer Sutherland and Dennis Haysbert are masters. Mark did an excellent job of conveying emotions without saying a word in the OT.

9. jedibendubruce

Dec 27, 2002
    I agree wholeheartedly.

10. DeJade_Vu

DeJade_Vu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002

I don't get what's so funny or whiney about the Toschi Station line. I mean, he's not crying, he doesn't speak through his nose, and he doesn't make a stupid face. Geez, it's not a big deal. I don't see why that one little line makes people across the planet label Luke as a "whiner". :mad: LUKE DOES NOT WHINE!

11. Naccha

Naccha Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 1999
    I also thought he was great in Star Wars. He became totally immersed in the character of Luke and played it believable. I have not seen much of his other stuff though I read he played Amadeus on Broadway which is a pretty hefty part, again a kind of whiny character too. It's too bad he didn't get the recognition he deserved but Hollywood is like that. It's tough profession and a tough industry. He got a lot further than 99% of the actors out there. He played a role that put him in cinematic history and was the main character in a trilogy that will be out there for a very long time. He should be proud of his contribution to that and feel pretty lucky that he was able to be part of Star Wars. From what I've read, he seems pretty humble about the whole experience and always compliments the genius of George Lucas. It must've been tough at first, to have all this fame and then not have it. The movie industry is so fickle... Doesn't Mark have a movie coming out? I thought I read that somewhere...

12. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    i personally think that MH's "unsuccessfulness" was his own choice. I read that MH really truly loves Sci-Fi.. i remember not too long ago seeing him on the Sci-Fi channel in a low-budget film.. although im not too familiar with his roles after star wars, i think his roles in the films were his choice and that he really had the potential to become as big a star as harrison ford, but perhaps he thought that it "wasnt his destiny" hehe :)

13. jedibendubruce

Dec 27, 2002
    Yeah hats off to Mark for finding his niche in the biz. He's been working with trying to put a line of comics together & turning those into films. Good luck to him with that. I laughed when Luke delivered his Toche Station line. It was good character acting on his part. He was still a kid growing up. Han calls him kid up through ESB. I don't remember Han addressing Luke like that in ROTJ.

14. skywalkerforce

skywalkerforce Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2003
    I think Mark Hammil did a fine job with his portrayal of Luke. I know some of you think that he was a little too whiney, but that's because of how the character was written, and not betrayed.

On another note, just because Mark is not in the spotlight like Harrison Ford doesn't mean that he hasn't had any success. Actually, he has had pretty good success thank you very much. Not only has he starred in numerous movies (the most recent being Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back) but he has also starred in many theatric plays. His main success however, has been behind the scenes, where he has been very successful in voiceovers and writing screen plays. So once again, just because y ou don't see him out front doesn't mean that he isn't active.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.