main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Mark Lawrence - The Broken Empire Series

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by ImpKnight, Sep 4, 2011.

1. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Has anyone read Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence? It's his first book, the first in The Broken Empire series, with the next two planned for 2012 and 2013. I read one comment that said the main character is a combination of Kvothe, Locke Lamora, and Gregor Clegane.

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I've never heard of it (though if it's like Locke, I might enjoy it).

3. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Yeah Ive heard taht it is a really great read if you dont mind having your hero be an antihero. He is supposed to be ruthless in his quest to acheive his goals and might turn some off reading the book Ive heard.

I plan on reading it but Im waiting for the PB. I went to buy it and it was rather a small HC and I dont like paying full HC $ for small HC unless its SW.

4. ImpKnight

Jun 16, 2008
    336 pages in the hardcover. That's not that big. I might get it.

5. ImpKnight

Jun 16, 2008
    I'm about 120 pgs in and I am really liking this book so far. The main character IS like Locke/Kvothe/Gregor, but has his own quirks too. The setting is what I expected, but soon it becomes clear that it's much more familiar.

The sequel, King of Thorns, is out in 2012.

6. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Interesting. I might check this out, but put it a bit low on the to-read list.

7. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Yeah Im def gettin this at some point but Im gettin the PB unless I find it discounted before then.

8. ImpKnight

Jun 16, 2008
    It's weird. The PB on Amazon.ca is $21.20, while the HC is $18.81. Amazon.com only has the PB available from other sellers. HC is only $15.82 though, which is pretty decent for a HC that was released in August.