main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Lewis Jones (Captain Canady)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ender_and_Bean, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I loved this guy’s presence. You could tell he hated that Hux was his Superior and his young crew were behind in protocol. Went down with the ship.

A veteran officer, Moden Canady is captain of the Siege Dreadnought Fulminatrix, charged with annihilating D’Qar’s Resistance base from orbit. Canady commanded a Star Destroyer in the Imperial Starfleet, and is distressed to find himself surrounded by arrogant, inexperienced young First Order officers.

[​IMG]

Jedi Ben, La Calavera, 3sm1r and 4 others like this.
  2. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    This guy was was one of the best characters in the movie. Shame he went out so early. He really gave off the old imperial vibe. Would have loved more from him.

Jedi Ben, 11-4D, Darth Dnej and 5 others like this.
  3. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I’d update the thread title spelling of Captain but I don’t think I can. :-(

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah, he's awesome just the look on his face when the Dreadnought is being exploded oh-so-slowly you can tell he's thinking "Dammit, well I lost, can't do much more than die now."

I'd think he would have been a 30-something Imperial when the Battle of Jakku happened and maybe one of the guys who escaped to the Unknown Regions with the Eclipse so he's all in charge now but missing the efficiency of the Imperial war machine.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Satipo likes this.
  5. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I loved this guy. My only problem with him is how the film wants to use him as a foil upon which Hux and the other FO officers are supposed to come up woefully short. This guy by himself, though, is simply way too entertaining in how on the ball he is. If he could get out of ship and pimp slap Poe's X-Wing, you know he would.

Jedi Ben, Shadao, BigAl6ft6 and 4 others like this.
  6. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Poor Canady. He would have had a better chance surviving Vader being his superior.

7. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Yes. Loved this guy. Great Imperial/ FO addition.

8. Dame sans merci

Dame sans merci Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2016
    Yaaas, I loved the little we saw of this guy. A proper grizzled, old school type.

TK327, BigAl6ft6 and Satipo like this.
  9. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    His disdain for Hux was a joy.

10. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I loved his resolve as he goes down with the ship at the end, too. He sort of holds his head up high as the flames are coming for him. Great character.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  11. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    He was Shagga in game of thrones!

12. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    [​IMG]

DominusNovus likes this.
  13. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    i have a feeling this guy says "In my day, the Empire would have done this better' a lot. Like ... every other day. "In my day, Imperials walked to base and back, barefoot, in the snow, uphill, both ways. While Darth Vader was watching them."

14. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I've seen Jones if a few things and really like him. I only wish that Canady was more military and less over the top. Would have loved to see him act his scenes with a Tarkin coolness and air or invincibility.

15. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I could totally imagine that. Part of what makes him great.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    One detail I really appreciate... whether it was deliberate or not... is that his entire crew & staff, on average, also appear older than a lot of the other FO support staff in these films. His entire ship seemed to be staffed by, quite possibly, veterans who, as a whole, were incredulous with the leadership they were now subject to.

Lulu Mars, Jedi Ben, CEB and 2 others like this.
  17. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Honestly, I pick a lot of the movie a part but there were good things. I liked this guy a lot...character and actor. I wish he was Hux. lol. It was the only part of the First Order who made seriously me think, "Ok, these could take over the galaxy with him around, he'd get this done in a week", unfortunately the rest of the team was amateurs. And he knew it.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  18. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    So true. I can imagine him building his team.

CANNADY: Nope. Too inexperienced. Nope. I knew his father. His father was an idiot in the Empire who once thought Alderaan was a type of cheese. Yes, she'll do. Her mother was an exemplary officer. Top marks. Next.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Fixed it for you.

20. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I might believe that, but for most of these officers, the FO is all they have ever known. Canady is said to have been an imperial veteran, but he would have been pretty young when the Empire was defeated. The Phasma book suggests that Brendol Hux was more competent than Armitage, and obviously Rae Sloane would have been a top FO leader for some time, so maybe leadership declined after the older, competent Imperial officers were mostly gone. Certainly Snoke seems to have liked "rapid dur" officers.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Well, since this entire trilogy requires visual dictionaries and novels, I'm choosing to live in my imagination based on only what is shown on the screen. There are some wrinkly old codgers aboard the Dreadnought. I bet they were on sanitation duty during the Battle of Endor.

11-4D, Shadao and Strongbow like this.
  22. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I'm making a Captain Canady-esque costume. I'm almost 52. I can pull off wrinkly old Imperial Vet!

23. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I'm currently watching an episode of The New Scooby-Doo Movies, 'The Haunted Showboat', which features Josie and the Pussycats.
    There's a character named Captain Cannaby. I wonder if this guy's name was an influence in the naming of Captain Canady.
    Spoiler alert:
    http://scoobydoo.wikia.com/wiki/Captain_Cannaby

24. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    This guy was one of the highlights of the film without a doubt.

11-4D, The Regular Mustache and 3sm1r like this.
  25. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I liked this character a lot and hoped that we finally have a competent bad guy. Such a shame he went out so early. [face_sigh]

Shadao likes this.