main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Marriage between Jedis and the dark side of the force

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by DARTH_MU, Apr 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    I can't recall the conversation verbatim, or however you spell that, but in Destiny's Way Luke and that Old Order Jedi that I can never remember how to spell her name that looked like a walking bird, were talking about Jedi and marriage and Luke said something along the lines that he could not tell the New Order Jedi to not marry because they were already adult with attachments and families and because he had a sister at the time too. Or something like that.

So maybe Luke knew vaguely that the Jedi of the Old Order did not get into relationships but, and this is my own opinion, realized that for the New Order Jedi to survive in the galaxy left after the Empire was to more involved in the people of the galaxy than those of the Old. One way to do that was to have a family.

I seem to recall that in The Approaching Storm one of the natives of Ansion felt sorry for the Jedi because they would never know the joys of raising their own children and seeing their grandchildren. Maybe Luke saw that the beings in the galaxy would more take to the new Jedi if they saw them as sentient beings, with families, lives, emotions. I mean after the 20 years of being force-fed negative Jedi propaganda by a Sith Lord, the beings of the galaxy probably did not have a great veiw of the Jedi. And maybe seeing them with kids helped to change that negative veiw.

EDIT: Would help if I knew how to spell 8-}

2. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    The original poster mentioned KotOR, and I thought I'd expand on that a bit. There's also mention of it with The Great Hunt that takes place some years pre-KotOR featuring Duron Qel-Droma, Guun Han Saresh, and Shaela Nuur.

In the first KotOR, there is a conversation you have with Jolee Bindo where he talks about his wife. He asks if you've ever truly been in love, and he talks about how the Jedi have this "damnable sense of overcaution" in saying that love is forbidden. As he puts it, passion can lead to trouble and should be controlled, but it's not the same as love. Which leads to my favorite quote from him, "Love will save you, not condemn you."

He and his wife were very happy, until the war with Exar Kun, when pupil turned on Master and all hell broke loose.

Yeah, I know this rambled a bit, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that marriage isn't such a bad thing, it's the passion and possessiveness that need to be controlled.

3. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    In the first KotOR, there is a conversation you have with Jolee Bindo where he talks about his wife. He asks if you've ever truly been in love, and he talks about how the Jedi have this "damnable sense of overcaution" in saying that love is forbidden. As he puts it, passion can lead to trouble and should be controlled, but it's not the same as love. Which leads to my favorite quote from him, "Love will save you, not condemn you."

oooh... nice to read this. :D I've said that for a while (and it's just about central to the series I'm working on).

Another thing I've wondered for a while, is if the Force is actually out of balance because the Jedi aren't following their feelings and falling in love. So all the unrequited love, angst, etc caused by not being with the people you love is actually causing the negativity in the universe. In this vein of thinking, perhaps Anakin was supposed to fall in love with and marry Padme but bring it out in the open and force the Jedi to change policy.

sg

4. JediofJade

JediofJade Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 1999
    I've always considered the main fault of the Old Jedi Order to be their strictness, a zero-tolerance policy, so to say. And in ROTS and ESB, you kind of get the sense that Yoda, the bastion of the Order, realized he'd made mistakes in holding so firmly to such a strict belief system.

And BTW, Jolee is one of the coolest Jedi out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.